Too many black/brown outs

bprhodes

Since moving north of CM (not far from City Hall and Baan Tau) my neighborhood has had too frequent black outs (well actually most are brown outs, I'm getting 40 volts now).  With the daily rains, they are now almost a daily occurrence and last from a few minutes to 2-3 hours or more.  Anyone else experiencing this?  What to do?  I'm thinking about getting a back up generator, tired of having everything in my freezer thawing out on a weekly basis.  It is getting so that I can't keep any frozen foods here.  How much would a back up generator cost for a 3- bed 4 AC house? 

While not as bad as you it seems,here in San sai, we get blackouts,when

it rains,sometimes when it just looks like it's going to rain,and when it gets

windy,it's common to hear the transformers exploding up at the market,it

seems the Government would rather put money into war weapons,than spend

it on infrastructure ,lately the water going off has also been a problem.

I just hope the Electric and Water companies are planning ahead for all the

increased building that is going on,which will result in more customers.

regards worgeordie

Haven't had a problem in city area for the 5 months I've been in C M.

Your generator only has to run the fridge/ freezer, fan, tv and some lights.

Hot water, AC and internet is not an essential.

In Lamphun the power went off frequently, apparently because snakes short out the terminals on the transformers. No snakes around where I live now.

Took them exactly 30 minutes to restore full power every time.

Unless you open the door, the freezer should keep foods from thawing for several hours.  However, that said, the motor/electronics in the appliance could be at risk from repeated & prolonged brownouts.

I live in Maejo. Within the last year surges and spikes in electrical voltage have fried the control/logic boards in my washing machine, a room air con (& fried the unit's fan motor), and last week, the oven clock/timer.
After the washing machine circuit board was replaced, we now unplug our washer & dryer when not in use. After the air con repair, we now keep the circuit breakers for all our air cons & hot water heaters off when not in use. The oven is on a circuit shared with other outlets and I'm planning to have that re-wired to its own dedicated circuit breaker so I can turn the breaker off when not in use. Remember- electronic devices and appliances always are receiving electricity and risk of damage when not in use. For all of our electronics and other appliances I bought high quality surge protectors from Lazada for all of the electrical outlets theses are connected to.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yeah, I was just thinking about surge protectors. They are usually also line conditioners as well.

A freezer will keep its contents good for 2 days, wpcoe. you're thinking about the refrigerator I think.

Edited by Ruffian Dick