What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?

smo

1 minute ago, amvet said:

How Patients’ Smartphones Can Save Their Lives.

Don't listen to me.  Don't get a smart phone.  Die. 

Up to you.

No matter the level or type of provider, the key information needed is the same:

What happened today?

What are the current medications and allergies?

What is the past medical history (PMH)?

What, if any, medical decision documents exist (DNR, POLST, etc.)?

http://www.emsworld.com/article/12259382/how-patients-smartphones-can-save-their-lives

No, smartphones do not save lives, unless they can do CPR. Information is available on a bog standard computer, and a small tablet can be carried.

People save lives sometimes using machines, but I never used a smartphone to do so, in over 20 years on the job.

We are never going to agree, so I am not going to respond to any more such "all smartphone good" posts.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No, smartphones do not save lives, unless they can do CPR. Information is available on a bog standard computer, and a small tablet can be carried.

People save lives sometimes using machines, but I never used a smartphone to do so, in over 20 years on the job.

We are never going to agree, so I am not going to respond to any more such "all smartphone good" posts.

Well sure we agree.  You can call from a small tablet and carry it around with  you.  I've got one of these too.  It's a Samsung Note 8, it's a smartphone as well as a tablet.  Information is King.  Lee would have won at Gettysburg if he had a smartphone and the world would be different.  Lee's smartphone was J.E.B. Stuart and his cavalry. 

calling tablet.jpg

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The only people really benefitting from smartphones are Mr Samsung, Mr apple

You forget all the spy agencies . NSA , GCHQ , CIA , .....they LOVE smartphones . It's even better than having a chip inplanted .

I'm not against smartphones , in fact everyone that likes 'em should buy 10 of them . Good for the silver price :smile:.

But I'm proud to be among the few that doesn't have or want one , like you , TBL.

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

You forget all the spy agencies . NSA , GCHQ , CIA , .....they LOVE smartphones . It's even better than having a chip inplanted .

I'm not against smartphones , in fact everyone that likes 'em should buy 10 of them . Good for the silver price :smile:.

But I'm proud to be among the few that doesn't have or want one , like you , TBL.

Army and the Police dept too.  On a single day last week, 5,500 NYPD officers logged in and clicked on 39,000 notifications. The NYPD uses Microsoft's Lumia 640 XL and 830 for its official phone. 

army smartphone 2.jpg

14 minutes ago, amvet said:

Army and the Police dept too.  On a single day last week, 5,500 NYPD officers logged in and clicked on 39,000 notifications. The NYPD uses Microsoft's Lumia 640 XL and 830 for its official phone. 

army smartphone 2.jpg

And your point is exactly. In the context of the actual tittle of the thread?

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

And your point is exactly. In the context of the actual tittle of the thread?

The people who use smartphones cross generations.  Anyone of any intelligence, importance, or who has responsibility of almost any kind needs a smartphone.  What do all the folks doing the rescuing of people in Florida now have in common?  They all have smartphones.  You may make fun of young people but pick a better instrument of jest than a critical part of our technological society to do so. 

21 minutes ago, amvet said:

The people who use smartphones cross generations.  Anyone of any intelligence, importance, or who has responsibility of almost any kind needs a smartphone.  What do all the folks doing the rescuing of people in Florida now have in common?  They all have smartphones.  You may make fun of young people but pick a better instrument of jest than a critical part of our technological society to do so. 

So nothing to do with the threads actual tittle then. Just another hijack attempt to justify that you live your life round a smart phone.

8 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

So nothing to do with the threads actual tittle then. Just another hijack attempt to justify that you live your life round a smart phone.

Thread  Title "What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?"

My stance. The eyes glued to smartphone zombie generation is a misnomer and that smartphones cross generational boundaries and the only people who don't realize the value of smartphones are typical anti progress dimwitted dinosaurs destined for extinction .  The same kind of people who thought digital media would never replace film or tapes. You may be confusing staying on topic with agreement.  One does not have to agree with a thread to discuss the content and stay on topic. 

Edited by amvet

13 minutes ago, amvet said:

Thread  Title "What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?"

My stance. The eyes glued to smartphone zombie generation is a misnomer and that smartphones cross generational boundaries and the only people who don't realize the value of smartphones are typical anti progress dimwitted dinosaurs destined for extinction .  The same kind of people who thought digital media would never replace film or tapes. You may be confusing staying on topic with agreement.  One does not have to agree with a thread to discuss the content and stay on topic. 

Yes on here one  does have to stay on topic . It could easily be said the smart phone generation are the dim witted zombie, we all march in the same direction, easily led dinasours.

Edited by jeab1980

5 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yesvon does on here. It could easily bevsaid the smart phone generation are the dim witted zombie, we all march in the same direction, easily led dinasours.

Yes you could say that?  Or you could say good ideas like the wheel or fire catch on quickly and the majority adopt obviously great labor saving, beneficial to mankind technologies.  In WWI pilots had to gauge the lead to shoot down another aircraft in WWII that function was automated.  Great technology catches on quick and in that example old style dies out quickly.

Edited by amvet

43 minutes ago, amvet said:

Yes you could say that?  Or you could say good ideas like the wheel or fire catch on quickly and the majority adopt obviously great labor saving, beneficial to mankind technologies.  In WWI pilots had to gauge the lead to shoot down another aircraft in WWII that function was automated.  Great technology catches on quick and in that example old style dies out quickly.

This is futile and rather boring. You enjoy your life being dictated to by a phone. I enjoy my life with me dictating what i will do with my lap top.

I have a mobile phone which sometimes i use on the internet most often not the clue is in the name mobile/smart PHONE.

Now your argument/take on the wonders of technology would be semi relevent if the topic was about the revolutionary role of todays Smart phone Technology but its not its about zombie type people with heads burried in a mobile phone having no regard for there surroundings. It would be  even better if they changed the name from smart phone to say smart intergrated mobile decive.

Edited by jeab1980

18 hours ago, amvet said:

Why would you buy a nutcracker when you could do it by slamming the nuts into your head? 

I had an Daikin AC repaired this morning.  I showed the tech and his 4 assistants the error codes on my Note 4 smart phone.  He pulled out his Samsung smart phone and and looked up the codes in Thai.  Then he took a photo a part with his Samsung smart phone and sent it by Messenger to his shop and they sent out the correct replacement by motorcycle. 

You can diagnose AC problems with a remote and smartphone and then give those to a repairman who can look up the answer in any language on his smartphone.

This is not the future.  This is the present. In a world awash with information you need new tools to cope with all that information.  My phone now holds ten times the information the most powerful computers held only 10 years ago. 

nut head.gif

nutcracker.jpg

I'm with you dude.  I love technology.  And it help me retire early and keep earning money.  I don't say glued to the phone like the masses.  It 'd be tough thinking of life without it though.  At the same time we know that every keystroke and word is monitored and recorded, according to how "interesting" a person you are.  Try cracking Brazil nuts that way LOL.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

This is futile and rather boring. You enjoy your life being dictated to by a phone. I enjoy my life with me dictating what i will do with my lap top.

I have a mobile phone which sometimes i use on the internet most often not the clue is in the name mobile/smart PHONE.

Now your argument/take on the wonders of technology would be semi relevent if the topic was about the revolutionary role of todays Smart phone Technology but its not its about zombie type people with heads burried in a mobile phone having no regard for there surroundings. It would be  even better if they changed the name from smart phone to say smart intergrated mobile decive.

Using technology correctly gives us a "bigger brain."  That's what is that tell my students anyway...

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Using technology correctly gives us a "bigger brain."  That's what is that tell my students anyway...

Egg heads lol of course. I never said technology wasnt good if used correctly. Wandering round head and eyes glued yo you tube or FB is hardly instructional. Unless of course there looking at a teacher on you tube or FB who tells them that using technology gives them a bigger brain. In which case its said teachers fault there all zombies. :sorry:

Edited by jeab1980

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Egg heads lol of course. I never said technology wasnt good if used correctly. Wandering round head and eyes glued yo you tube or FB is hardly instructional. Unless of course there looking at a teacher on you tube or FB who tells them that using technology gives them a bigger brain. In which case its said teachers fault there all zombies. :sorry:

Thank you for your opinion.

Using technology enables us to do research and opens a treasure chest of information, in many cases instantly.  Before we used to have to spend countless hours in the library or microfilm to do research.

"Unless of course there looking at a teacher on you tube or FB who tells them that using technology gives them a bigger brain. In which case its said teachers fault there all zombies. " - jeab1980

Simply unfortunate perspective...

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

There is Facebook messenger.  It is free video calls all over the world or data or media transfers.  I'd go so far as to say if you don't use Facebook Messenger you are really living only half a life.  My mea noi is a nuclear physicist and we are on messenger a lot.  I don't think her students find her small brained because she walks around with her nose in a Samsung Galaxy S8 conversing with me on Messenger.  Today it was thundering and lightening and I let her watchdog in the house because he was afraid and sent her photos of the dog and some minor damage done by the wind in her neighborhood.  Communication with real time video or photos is more meaningful than only words or voice especially if it's free.  Bigo is another way to converse or share ideas or sexy dance moves.  I haven't had a bad blind date since I started using Bigo to screen the candidates.   The government in America also recommended everyone get on Facebook to share news and information about the latest hurricane Irma.  I know the posters on Thaivisa are incredibly astute and savvy but methinks there is a reason that Facebook is worth $190 billion.  Do you think maybe they have a bigger brain than you?

16 minutes ago, amvet said:

There is Facebook messenger.  It is free video calls all over the world or data or media transfers.  I'd go so far as to say if you don't use Facebook Messenger you are really living only half a life.  My mea noi is a nuclear physicist and we are on messenger a lot.  I don't think her students find her small brained because she walks around with her nose in a Samsung Galaxy S8 conversing with me on Messenger.  Today it was thundering and lightening and I let her watchdog in the house because he was afraid and sent her photos of the dog and some minor damage done by the wind in her neighborhood.  Communication with real time video or photos is more meaningful than only words or voice especially if it's free.  Bigo is another way to converse or share ideas or sexy dance moves.  I haven't had a bad blind date since I started using Bigo to screen the candidates.   The government in America also recommended everyone get on Facebook to share news and information about the latest hurricane Irma.  I know the posters on Thaivisa are incredibly astute and savvy but methinks there is a reason that Facebook is worth $190 billion.  Do you think maybe they have a bigger brain than you?

Go away im not interested in your drivel. I belive there is some good highways you can go and walk down with your head stuck in your arse whoops sorry meant phone (same same). To test out the theory. Now i will add you to my no thankyou list.

Ps your attempted wind up is a little juvinile even for you.

Edited by jeab1980

15 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Go away im not interested in your drivel. I belive there is some good highways you can go and walk down with your head stuck in your arse whoops sorry meant phone (same same). To test out the theory. Now i will add you to my no thankyou list.

Ps your attempted wind up is a little juvinile even for you.

You can project your phone on your windshield when driving for directions just to list one highway application and find out where to get gas or find accommodation or traffic reports.  I don't find it necessary to do the ostrich thing with other posters as I can hold my own in most discussions but by all means take any steps necessary to protect your mental health and well being.  I believe one well known self help guy even advises people not to watch or listen to the news on TV.  So go ahead and avoid opposing viewpoints if it makes you feel better. 

Edited by amvet

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, BuaBS said:

It always makes me laugh when anyone says anything about internet privacy. Every single thing we ever did, do and will do on the internet, on a phone, use a credit/ debit card etc etc is available to the spy agencies and everything about us is for sale.

What worries me is that many actually believe their "encryption" will keep them safe.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:38 AM, amvet said:

I know I said I wouldn't, but that is a dinosaur too far.

Dinosaurs would not have become extinct but for an unavoidable catastrophe.

Humans totally dependent on computers, as they are, will die in their billions should computers "die", which is entirely possible. Putting all the eggs in one vulnerable basket is surely proof that humans are pretty dumb!

Read this and weep

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/186805-the-solar-storm-of-2012-that-almost-sent-us-back-to-a-post-apocalyptic-stone-age

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know I said I wouldn't, but that is a dinosaur too far.

Dinosaurs would not have become extinct but for an unavoidable catastrophe.

Humans totally dependent on computers, as they are, will die in their billions should computers "die", which is entirely possible. Putting all the eggs in one vulnerable basket is surely proof that humans are pretty dumb!

For sure our way of life would change, there would be mass starvation, people would have to grow food themselves to survive, move back to the countryside, economies would fall apart, we'd once again become a cash society, the banking system would go back about 4 decades.

Nuclear power stations would have to be shut down, many power stations would fail to function and have to be retrograded. We'd very quickly rip all the tech out of our cars and go back to more simplistic engines... 

We would revert to a time, 40 or 50 years ago... the only issue is the 'sudden change' to our way of life... 

However, we were operating as a global economy before computers. The loss of computers would be catastrophic and we would indeed be extremely stupid to put all our eggs in one basket without any form of defense..... 

Its a lovely dystopic argument against the use of cell phones but it really is a little out there along with those who own lots of guns, collect and store food in bunkers and await doomsday.

So to address your point directly - What do you think could cause such a disastrophe ?  

What could cause a total global loss of Computing ? (Aliens and a Global EMP strike, Mass Virus which bypasses all security?)

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a lovely dystopic argument against the use of cell phones but it really is a little out there along with those who own lots of guns, collect and store food in bunkers and await doomsday.

So to address your point directly - What do you think could cause such a disastrophe ?  

What could cause a total global loss of Computing ? (Aliens and a Global EMP strike, Mass Virus which bypasses all security?)

I never said not to use cell phones, just to not be dependent on computers. I could survive without a single computer on the planet- even my car has zero computer components, and I could still play my vinyl records on my analogue stereo as long as I have petrol for my computerless generator. How many of the computer generation could survive without computers?

What could cause a total global loss of Computing ?

I already posted the link about 2012- read it and weep. For some reason, you deleted that from your quote

I'm lovin' this.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/24261-2/24261/

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never said not to use cell phones, just to not be dependent on computers. I could survive without a single computer on the planet- even my car has zero computer components, and I could still play my vinyl records on my analogue stereo as long as I have petrol for my computerless generator. How many of the computer generation could survive without computers?

What could cause a total global loss of Computing ?

I already posted the link about 2012- read it and weep. For some reason, you deleted that from your quote

I'm lovin' this.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/24261-2/24261/

I think you edited in the link after I'd replied.... 

Its a good interesting read, a solar storm is certainly cause for concern, however, there is a little exaggeration in the reporting... In its worst case, it the Solar Storm of 2012 could have placed 30-40 million people without power, this would naturally have some significant knock-on effect, but not Billions of people. 

Had the solar storm hit earth (it missed by a week) it would have have been twice as bad as the solar storm which knocked out power in Quebec in 1989.

It's also possible an asteroid hits the earth... at some point in time. Its also likely that at some point the Sun will expand engulfing the earth.

While its 'nice' to have a back up, perhaps even 'necessary', the likelihood of the whole of the earths power grid and thus computing being knocked out is extremely limited. Certainly limited enough not to warrant deciding not use computers (or cellphones - this thread is about cell phones). 

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It always makes me laugh when anyone says anything about internet privacy. Every single thing we ever did, do and will do on the internet, on a phone, use a credit/ debit card etc etc is available to the spy agencies and everything about us is for sale.

What worries me is that many actually believe their "encryption" will keep them safe.

Exactly.  Heard a couple interesting talks by Macafee the other day.  Nothing is secure.  He's trying to develop something that is secure and take down Google.  He's been attacked twice recently.  One put him in the hospital.  There are no secrets.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a good interesting read, a solar storm is certainly cause for concern, however, there is a little exaggeration in the reporting... In its worst case, it the Solar Storm of 2012 could have placed 30-40 million people without power, this would naturally have some significant knock-on effect, but not Billions of people. 

It's also possible an asteroid hits the earth... at some point in time. Its also likely that at some point the Sun will expand engulfing the earth.

While its 'nice' to have a back up, perhaps even 'necessary', the likelihood of the whole of the earths power grid and thus computing being knocked out is extremely limited. Certainly limited enough not to warrant deciding not use computers (or cellphones - this thread is about cell phones). 

Just because that flare would not have wiped out everything does not mean the next one won't. If it hit China or India, that's a billion right there.

The sun WILL expand and destroy the earth.

If my luck holds out the way it does, the solar flare WILL knock out wherever I'm living.

I'd never tell anyone NOT to do anything as long as it doesn't hurt me. If people want to spend US$1,000 to buy an apple phone, that's their problem, not mine.

This being a public forum, and on the farang pub subforum, it's a good way to pass the time and wandering off course a bit isn't a problem.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just because that flare would not have wiped out everything does not mean the next one won't. If it hit China or India, that's a billion right there.

The sun WILL expand and destroy the earth.

If my luck holds out the way it does, the solar flare WILL knock out wherever I'm living.

I'd never tell anyone NOT to do anything as long as it doesn't hurt me. If people want to spend US$1,000 to buy an apple phone, that's their problem, not mine.

This being a public forum, and on the farang pub subforum, it's a good way to pass the time and wandering off course a bit isn't a problem.

Thats exactly right as i see it. I have no interest in sitting all day glued to a small screen trying to type size XS letter with a size XXXL thumb on a keyboard that beacuse of technology writes whater it thinks is right regardless of what i write?.

But my Wife does and is on it constantly she does run buisnesses on line so meeds it she prefers her phone to a laptop. So she bought herself a new Samsung S8 i belive it is all the whistles and bells so she says (untill next week when a new phone comes out with a new gizmo on it)!

I like my lap top i know my way around it and it types what i type into it i can watch a film or documentary and still keep a weather eye on well TV or something.

I expect someone who is computer savvy (like say my teenage  son who when i say "bloody thing whats a matter with this piece of junk" calmly walks over gives me that Kevin the teenager look presses a few buttons and says in that kevin the teenagers voice " there you go papa it works now") could do things on it i could only dream of.

So yes each to there own. My phone is what the mrs hands me down well i say that she gives her old phone to the son, who then gives me his. Which at present is a samsung A9 im told. But it makes phone calls and i can get my emails. In fact im typing this on it now only took me 30 mins so far correcting what it wants to put instead of what i want. So not so smart Smart phone after all?

Edited by jeab1980

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2017 at 9:40 AM, Blackheart1916 said:

Because maybe if you get them out of the head down habit it may save their life- next time it might be a bus, not a person

True. My wife is getting in the habit of ignoring me when I say something instead choosing to say "what?" and have me repeat my initial statement. It's a terrible and rude habit that needs breaking. I told her from now on I will say something once. If she doesn't listen she is on her own. I told her you better hope I didn't say "Honey,  watch out for that bus". 

On 07/09/2017 at 9:00 AM, csabo said:

"Good for them because I am already bracing myself with elbows sticking out."

I have been doing this for years.  I am a big solid mass and I was zigzagging all over the place to avoid shoppers 1/3 my size to avoid collisions when walking through the mall.  I noticed people think if they keep their head down they can just walk straight and let everyone else get out of the way.  No more.  I have sent people crashing to the floor bags flying everywhere clutching their shoulders in pain.  I especially love the bonus rounds when I catch people walking backwards not looking where they are going.  CRUUUUNCH!  And how about the grocery store shoppers who stand in the center of an aisle deciding on an item while completely blocking other shoppers and ignoring them as they approach.  Imagine a steam roller vs a chicken.

I reccomend valium or counselling