What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?

smo

3 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

This is becoming more and more of an issue (Zombies). I thought it would have died off by now, but it keeps growing.  Several years ago I was turning left at an intersection, when for whatever reason I noticed a young girl on the other side of the road in 'zombie mode' walking quickly and she turned to go between two cars waiting at the lights. I slowed down and sure enough she walked right in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. She heard the screech of tyres and gave me a dirty look for disturbing her crap, and then she stormed off.  I was now stopped and was bewildered when I looked at the driver of the car next to me - she shrugged and smiled as if to say "what can you do about idiots".  The girl would have probably been either dead or crippled for life if I had not slowed and then stopped, but she was just oblivious to the real world.

I think the below picture showing the new Pope's announcements in 2005 and 2013 sums it all up. These devices have made young people 'remote' from reality - they lack that 'human interaction' thing that made me slow down.

image pope 2005 2013.jpg

Well, just let Darwin sort 'em out, should get the numbers down at least - have to agree though, not that funny if they're wrapping themselves around YOUR bumper of all things lethal out there ...

Never aquired the skills needed to walk and chew gum a the same time in the first place - let alone 'read' anything ... honestly I'm pretty surprised there aren't much more accidents reported along your lines ...

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The young genaration of today will grow up the way they want to as we all did. A push here a swerve there the old chesnut " in my day laddy". Well its not our day any more lets face it the 60/70/80 genarations didnt do much apart from great clothes and great music. Let the 90/00/10 genarations have there time now. I expect if smart phones were around in the 60/70/80 we would have been much the same. As we was with Walkmans and personal dvd players. Life moves on the only diffrence now is how fast life and technology moves on now. So get with the program or sit on the side lines your choice. 

I heard of one Thai professor, she teaches Bachelor of Business at a so called prestige university,

her policy is that phones must be turned off in class, when she catches students using their phones in class Female students far moe than male students) for any purpose (unless they are doing an assignment were they have instructed to do i.net research), she orders them to leave the room, go outside, can't go home, and use their phones to research things like:

- How many websites on the whole net show different styles of toilets?

- How many websites on the whole net mention 14 to 16 year old girls being raped?

and more...

Then she confiscates their phone for 90 days and refuses to give the student their SIM card for the contacts list.

Then they have to report to an extra class in a computer room and for one hour she gives them further nebulous / boring / upsetting items to research plus make a summary of how they could survive to support themselves and 2 children on 6,000Baht a month including paying rent and with no car and with no savings. And they have to stand up and talk about what they have found.

I understand that students caught using phones in her class have gone down to almost zero.  

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, Global Guy said:

Ahh, a Thai apologist had to appear, thank you, right on time! Actually, I'm not the one who is blocking the sidewalk when I walk alone. Therefore it is the people who are blocking the entire sidewalk who are, what did you call it....antisocial (inappropriately used but I get what you're trying for) and whatever other names your brave keyboard warrior self throws out there. So, your rant is misdirected. Oh, and thanks for the language lesson too! Do you charge for such brilliance? I suppose you're one of those old timers who bows down to any and all treatment of farangs in the pursuit of trying to be as Thai as you can? There are many of us long timers who tolerate a lot, but rude behavior, no. If you think less of yourself and accept it, that's on you. Peace...

Thank you for your opinion.

5 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

When people meet going in opposite directions, both parties bear responsibilities in avoidance. If the fellow zoned in on his phone makes no indication of being aware of his surroundings, does that put all the burden of avoidance on the fellow meeting him? No...  So, if you get shouldered by me as you're walking by. Som num na.

If everyone kept to their right, there wouldn't have any probs, 'cept of course those three people side by side taking up the entire sidewalk.  I will say Thailand is not as bad as the Phillipines or Indonesia, I think those people were born with cellphones in their hands and their necks with permanent bends in them.

10 hours ago, kenk24 said:

The other day I had a kid coming straight at my vehicle, he on a motorcycle, looking at his phone. I didn't want to honk my horn for fear of scaring him - he came to his senses and went back into his lane... 

good luck and chill out. 

Or he doesn't look up and he hits you and dies and a then dozen Thais come out of no where and kick you to death.  Same story different more likely ending. Good luck, buy life insurance. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He never said he deliberately walks into people. They walk into him.

Thank you for answering on my behalf. OP here, yeah, I never said I walked into people. What I armed myself with is passive resistance (now folks will go..."passive resistance" what dya mean?) The  human being (I no longer regard them as my FELLOW human being) on their phone walking toward me has professed a presence of not seeing, not sensing. Well, I can do the same, at any time I choose. The difference is they keep on walking while I freeze (closing my eyes and thinking of Gandhi). They are welcome to walk into me, elbows sticking out and all, at their own peril. Lucky for them, as some posters have mentioned, that I was not transforming myself into an oncoming bus.

To those who think I complained about having to lift a finger to push the button for the dude who didn't bother? That got me laughing out loud. Out of disbelief. All I can say is try to think a little deeper. I remember in "critical thinking" class prof used to tell us to think about what's going on beneath the surface of what we see or do. For a refresher, I'm sure when we first learned how to use an elevator, pressing the "calling" button is step number 1. In this case, what brought about the guy's decision to bypass step number 1 is what will dictate his behavior in a social context and how that will affect those around him, including you and me. Which will in turn alter our own behavior in different ways. To me, like I said before, that makes me stop regarding other people as my fellow human beings. And that means fraying the social DNA of the world I live in in a big way. Got it?

6 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

You are acting kindly in search of a reward or recognition. Try to do this without any expectations and you will find it most rewarding.

No actually you are wrong, I couldn't give a rats ass about holding the door open, normally it's just because I arrived first and kept it open to be polite. As they walk past me like i,m the door wedge it irritates me. Yet I can't bring myself to walk through the door and let it slam in their face.

1 hour ago, smo said:

Thank you for answering on my behalf. OP here, yeah, I never said I walked into people. What I armed myself with is passive resistance (now folks will go..."passive resistance" what dya mean?) The  human being (I no longer regard them as my FELLOW human being) on their phone walking toward me has professed a presence of not seeing, not sensing. Well, I can do the same, at any time I choose. The difference is they keep on walking while I freeze (closing my eyes and thinking of Gandhi). They are welcome to walk into me, elbows sticking out and all, at their own peril. Lucky for them, as some posters have mentioned, that I was not transforming myself into an oncoming bus.

To those who think I complained about having to lift a finger to push the button for the dude who didn't bother? That got me laughing out loud. Out of disbelief. All I can say is try to think a little deeper. I remember in "critical thinking" class prof used to tell us to think about what's going on beneath the surface of what we see or do. For a refresher, I'm sure when we first learned how to use an elevator, pressing the "calling" button is step number 1. In this case, what brought about the guy's decision to bypass step number 1 is what will dictate his behavior in a social context and how that will affect those around him, including you and me. Which will in turn alter our own behavior in different ways. To me, like I said before, that makes me stop regarding other people as my fellow human beings. And that means fraying the social DNA of the world I live in in a big way. Got it?

"They are welcome to walk into me, elbows sticking out and all, at their own peril. Lucky for them, as some posters have mentioned, that I was not transforming myself into an oncoming bus."  So manly. It's all so very exciting...:giggle:

I've used the "shoulder crunch - semi charge" method to clear the way several times getting off a bus.....has happened like this...bus pulls to a stop for people to get off by walking down the 2 or 3 steps.....but standing right in front of the steps and close up to the steps outside waiting to get on the bus  is ......you guessed it...Miss or Mr  Moron  tapping away on their phone completely oblivious to the need for passengers to get off the bus... and said person is often surrounded by others.....on their telephones..!!!

The "semi shoulder charge" sure clears the way...and I don't look back.....<deleted> them..!!

Why do people feel the need to shoulder charge or elbow anyone.  Surley as we are according to many posters the More advanced civilized persons. If this is the case is it indeed civilized to shoulder or elbow the percived lower class Thai to teach them a lesson in manners?.

Or would it not be better to stop or say excuse me they may not understand you but will stop look up and move round you.

But wait a minute i remember another thread about falangs, lowering there heads or averting there eyes so they do not have to acknowledge other civilized Falang. So there is no diffrence from a phone zombie and a falang zombie.

Where I live, although the building isn't very old (6-7 years), the lift call buttons, and floor buttons inside, do not always work on the first push (light comes on and goes out a few seconds later). The other day I saw the lift was on my floor with doors closed. When the doors opened there was a young lad inside on a mobile completely unaware and I pushed 1st (ground) floor where he got out behind me still on the phone...

On a escalator what annoys me more is the tendency to stop immediately getting off and blocking the path for those trying to get off a moving stairway.

Holding the door I always do for anyone clearly following, and for pushchairs I am extra careful, since I have been there and done that.

On the footpath walking behind very slow walking Thais has always been frustrating, but now worse with the Twitface and game addicts. Walking towards people you can avoid them easily, no excuse to barge past.

:unsure:

How to wake up the zombies?  

If you have the balls to do it, scream like a girlie banshee right behind them - it makes them and everyone else around you jump 2 metres into the air, and suddenly all of them also avoid your path.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:58 PM, Dipterocarp said:

The only time I found such courtesy unappreciated was about 30 years ago on a US college campus. A very "butch" looking woman gave me a lecture in radical feminism for holding a door for her.

The smartphone zombies will be gone in some years. Your phone will be a small device in a pocket and people will be looking through "google glass" type device or even contact lenses. People will be even more connected to tech and even less engaged with actual humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It will be a chip in your brain, and it is right around the corner. 

Slightly off topic:

Some years ago I was in the US staying in a hotel.
As I approached the elevator there was a young nerdy looking guy stood by the elevator with the call button unlit. I stood next to him for a few seconds then pressed the call button, he gave me an awkward smile as if he had forgotten.
The elevator arrived, he jumped in and stood there.
I pressed my floor then stepped back to allow him, he just said to me "3 please ".
As he was as close to the buttons as I was and as I'd already stepped back ( and just returned from a long day at work ) I pretended I didn't hear him.
He hesitated then pulled the sleeve of his sweatshirt down over his hand and pressed "3".

He glanced at me to see my reaction I guess, I gave him my poker/disinterested face and we stood in the elevator for 3 floors of uneasiness !!

I smiled to myself as he left the elevator and I swear I could see the redness appearing on the back of his neck !!

As I said, slightly off topic but I just wanted to share [emoji51]

You really do have too much time on your hands grumpy old man! We are living in a technological age now, you either get with the program or get left behind. Just because you're old and prefer the good old days, they aren't coming back.

You probably piss off more young people than they piss you off, for not adopting technology. Maybe you don't know how to check in online and choose your seats and then find you are in the middle seat sat away from your wife and you try to get a young person, who did know how to choose his seat, to change seats with you! This happened to me the other day... Off course I said get lost to the old person.

On 9/7/2017 at 3:58 AM, Thaidream said:

I refuse to have a smart phone and will never have one. I refuse to be tracked and I refuse to submit to the likes of Facebook; Instagram and all the other crap that is completely worthless. While a smartphone may have some utility- I just don't want to be part of a new generation that is addicted to a machine. 

Or the likes of Thaivisa?

On 9/7/2017 at 8:57 AM, thequietman said:

For my sins, I am a lecturer at a Thai Uni and I have never felt so alone in a room of 94 students.

I deliver my lecture, try to make it sanook and still, they won't look up from their phones.

I banned them at the beginning of term and having to tell them over and over again to put them away, drives me to despair. From taking selfies with the two finger salute, to the pouting of the lips, it's all happening..........except learning.

Mobiles and their advancements are the down fall of this current young society and I do worry for them.

It has also made my job unbearably more difficult and I feel I am just pissing against the wind. Everyday is a struggle in the Thai education system.

I hate the f@@king things.

To be honest when I was a student in Edinburgh many years ago, I never paid any attention in lectures either and that was before mobile phones were invented.

19 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Why do people feel the need to shoulder charge or elbow anyone.  Surley as we are according to many posters the More advanced civilized persons. If this is the case is it indeed civilized to shoulder or elbow the percived lower class Thai to teach them a lesson in manners?.

Or would it not be better to stop or say excuse me they may not understand you but will stop look up and move round you.

But wait a minute i remember another thread about falangs, lowering there heads or averting there eyes so they do not have to acknowledge other civilized Falang. So there is no diffrence from a phone zombie and a falang zombie.

You're wasting your time here.  The only place I throw elbows these days is on the heavy bag. Rarely, sometimes, in the ring.  Remember who your audience is...