What's your stance vs the eyes-glued-to-smartphone zombie generation?

smo

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They wish. Many people will refuse. I will.

A fate worse than death as everyone will be under the real Big Brother control.

The 1% wet dream.

It's great the way that response is programmed in, even after the chip is fitted.

On 07/09/2017 at 0:45 AM, BuaBS said:

Ignore them like they ignore you.

I like the smartphone generation. Give the kids a phone as soon as possible . Kids on their smartphone are quiet and passive .... now get off my lawn !

Keeps the misses busy, quiet and passive too. :-)

22 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Thats your take and good for you. Childish? What about people who are internet worked based and need to be availavle on line at any given time. What about those who are house bound and need a phone and the internet or do they have to dit and stare at 4 walls.

Its not a craze its called technology same as when TV became color everybody wanted a color tv then no diffrent now. We are not all on FB or Twitter or whats app. I use skype so i can talk to people thousands of miles away and see them if need be on my smart phone wherever i may be. I get get a lot of thumbs up usualy sad or confused things beacuse im not a falang appologist so i dont bother checking back. I dont expect you will read this untill your hr of Internet tm.

Keep well

Your point is well taken. I know some do use the technology for internet work or other constructive purposes...maybe learning a new language, taking on-line classes, self-education, communicating with family for example. My 'childish' comment was directed at those I described in my post. I do think those who are housebound could find something constructive to do if they were so inclined. I do appreciate the technology and find it impressive. As for the color TV, everyone did want one but everyone didn't stare at it the entire day unable to tear themselves away while eating, driving, working or visiting friends. Everything in moderation. Take care.

I know many of you are not high tech and hopelessly out of date and live in caves but you all do realize many Thai people get paid for being on line 24 hours a day?  There are people who pay to watch them sleep and brush their teeth and go to school and drive around in cars or on public transportation?  You can watch anything you want.  People playing games or cooking food or changing babies.  Old guys are on and young kids and everywhere in between.  You can find people near your location or far away as it's all listed by location it that's what you are into.  With the new HD phones the picture and audio quality is in many cases very good.  I'm always amazed at all the kids in school who broadcast from all grades while in class; seems the instructors don't care. 

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Your point is well taken. I know some do use the technology for internet work or other constructive purposes...maybe learning a new language, taking on-line classes, self-education, communicating with family for example. My 'childish' comment was directed at those I described in my post. I do think those who are housebound could find something constructive to do if they were so inclined. I do appreciate the technology and find it impressive. As for the color TV, everyone did want one but everyone didn't stare at it the entire day unable to tear themselves away while eating, driving, working or visiting friends. Everything in moderation. Take care.

You dont remember tbe days of new color tv then. The spawn of TV dinners lol

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You dont remember tbe days of new color tv then. The spawn of TV dinners lol

I'm 65.  As a very young child I remember sitting around the radio Saturday nights listening to the Green Hornet, The Shadow and others. Then got a black and white TV in my Grandparents house down stairs from us.  Later we got a color TV.  Seems like a dream now.  TV dinners were the best!  Pretty crazy LOL!!! Now been veggie for 43 years...

Just now, ColeBOzbourne said:

Yes, I do remember. We had TV Trays to put our TV Dinners on. Personally though, I'm extremely color blind so the birth of the color TV wasn't, and still isn't, a big deal.

It was a very big deal for most of us though.  Sorry you can't see colors.

3 hours ago, amvet said:

I know many of you are not high tech and hopelessly out of date and live in caves but you all do realize many Thai people get paid for being on line 24 hours a day?  There are people who pay to watch them sleep and brush their teeth and go to school and drive around in cars or on public transportation?  You can watch anything you want.  People playing games or cooking food or changing babies.  Old guys are on and young kids and everywhere in between.  You can find people near your location or far away as it's all listed by location it that's what you are into.  With the new HD phones the picture and audio quality is in many cases very good.  I'm always amazed at all the kids in school who broadcast from all grades while in class; seems the instructors don't care. 

If that is happening, humanity deserves all the c*** it's going to get, and the end isn't going to be pretty, IMO. Willingly casting themselves into the arms of Big Brother.

Nature always kills off the weak.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that is happening, humanity deserves all the c*** it's going to get, and the end isn't going to be pretty, IMO. Willingly casting themselves into the arms of Big Brother.

Nature always kills off the weak.

You have never watched Bigo on your smartphone?  You must be the only one in Thailand.

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

It was a very big deal for most of us though.  Sorry you can't see colors.

Unfortunately, many of the best tv shows ever made, IMO, were before colour tv came out.

Colour, if I remember rightly, came out when advertisers realised they had a captive market of tech zombies, and the advertising plague commenced. Now shows are only about getting as many sheeple as possible watching, and the quality is abysmal. Got to the stage where a recorder is essential for viewing pleasure. I get a great deal of pleasure from fast forwarding through the ads of the miniscule number of shows that are actually worth watching.

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I'm the other person who never heard of Bigo.

I used to read while I was in the bathroom, no more.  It's Bigo BM's for me now. Remember to turn off the media sound or the wife might get angry hearing all the Thai girls giggle. 

Edited by amvet

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unfortunately, many of the best tv shows ever made, IMO, were before colour tv came out.

Colour, if I remember rightly, came out when advertisers realised they had a captive market of tech zombies, and the advertising plague commenced. Now shows are only about getting as many sheeple as possible watching, and the quality is abysmal. Got to the stage where a recorder is essential for viewing pleasure. I get a great deal of pleasure from fast forwarding through the ads of the miniscule number of shows that are actually worth watching.

Thats the great thing about new tech there are apps and software for everything. Found a kodi add on to record a film and skip the adds. Brilliant. 

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

I'm 65.  As a very young child I remember sitting around the radio Saturday nights listening to the Green Hornet, The Shadow and others. Then got a black and white TV in my Grandparents house down stairs from us.  Later we got a color TV.  Seems like a dream now.  TV dinners were the best!  Pretty crazy LOL!!! Now been veggie for 43 years...

Life with Dexter was popular in our household. We listened to it after dinner.

Also a show about Australian nurses prisoners of the Japanese in WW2. Much shouting of the Japanese guards about "strarie pig dogs" or something like that.

Watching tv while eating destroys family interaction.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Life with Dexter was popular in our household. We listened to it after dinner.

Also a show about Australian nurses prisoners of the Japanese in WW2. Much shouting of the Japanese guards about "strarie pig dogs" or something like that.

Watching tv while eating destroys family interaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_tray_table

3 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Fourth one .  I don't even have a smartphone , nor would I want one.

My grandfather was an illiterate Irish farmer and said the same thing about automobiles.  I really don't think it is something to brag about.  It is like telling people that you don't bath daily.  Not bathing daily was acceptable years ago but as technology advanced the benefits of hygiene in most countries became the norm. 

7 hours ago, amvet said:

My grandfather was an illiterate Irish farmer and said the same thing about automobiles.  I really don't think it is something to brag about.  It is like telling people that you don't bath daily.  Not bathing daily was acceptable years ago but as technology advanced the benefits of hygiene in most countries became the norm. 

I have a computer dude , a smartphone is irrelevant. My 17 inch screen is already too small , why would I want to look at an even smaller screen of a spy-phone ?

9 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

I have a computer dude , a smartphone is irrelevant. My 17 inch screen is already too small , why would I want to look at an even smaller screen of a spy-phone ?

Well gramps, 1.  Can you video chat with your children on bus 9000 miles away during a hurricane?  (did that today).  2.  Can you watch live Thai dancing girls while they attend college classes while you poop?  (did that today) 3.  Does your computer read you recipes while you cook in the kitchen? (did that today) Can you write an article for a newspaper while you walk the dog?  (did that today).  4.  Can you describe a technical process to a computer tech in a foreign language in a computer repair shop in Thailand?  (did that today)  5.  Purchased plumbing supplies, spices, vegetables, computer parts and countless other items by showing the Thai clerk a photo from my Note 4 screen and used it to translate both in script and voice.  7.  Can you take all of your immigration documents (20 years worth) with you to immigration?  8.  Can you check all of your doctors advice, prescriptions and have all of your medical records available on your phone when you go to the hospital?  (I can). 9. Do you carry a barometer in your pocket to check the weather?   10. Do you have a personal assistant who gives you driving instructions at night?  (turn right 100 feet, turn left 200 feet).  I can look at my screen or my phone can talk to me.  I have a small Startrek like badge that I can tap to talk to or make calls or use my personal assistant or when on out or riding a motorcycle I have an earpiece and speaker that takes instructions and filters out noise traffic and wind noise (Plantronics Voyager 5200).  I also have a 34 inch monitor for gaming and a laptop and a tablet.  Phone and gaming and laptop and tablet each have their own uses.  My phone is integrated with my life making it much easier and more efficient and more fun.  Not having and using it would be as primitive to me as not showering daily.  

13 hours ago, amvet said:

No ads on Netflix. I only watch news on TV and movies 4k on subscription services on one kind or another. 

So you still pay subscriptions.

The old saying: "no such thing as a free lunch" prevails.

Fair if you get value for money, not over priced for a bad service like True Visions.

What all the social media addicts don't understand is they are paying too.

All their personal details are for sale, and the providers don't care as long as they can continue to make billions.

Technology is indeed wonderful thanks to Tim Berners-Lee (who didn't make a cent), but the walking dead on the street are a sad reflection of where it has gone and how much it has been exploited.

14 hours ago, amvet said:

Well gramps, 1.  Can you video chat with your children on bus 9000 miles away during a hurricane?  (did that today).  2.  Can you watch live Thai dancing girls while they attend college classes while you poop?  (did that today) 3.  Does your computer read you recipes while you cook in the kitchen? (did that today) Can you write an article for a newspaper while you walk the dog?  (did that today).  4.  Can you describe a technical process to a computer tech in a foreign language in a computer repair shop in Thailand?  (did that today)  5.  Purchased plumbing supplies, spices, vegetables, computer parts and countless other items by showing the Thai clerk a photo from my Note 4 screen and used it to translate both in script and voice.  7.  Can you take all of your immigration documents (20 years worth) with you to immigration?  8.  Can you check all of your doctors advice, prescriptions and have all of your medical records available on your phone when you go to the hospital?  (I can). 9. Do you carry a barometer in your pocket to check the weather?   10. Do you have a personal assistant who gives you driving instructions at night?  (turn right 100 feet, turn left 200 feet).  I can look at my screen or my phone can talk to me.  I have a small Startrek like badge that I can tap to talk to or make calls or use my personal assistant or when on out or riding a motorcycle I have an earpiece and speaker that takes instructions and filters out noise traffic and wind noise (Plantronics Voyager 5200).  I also have a 34 inch monitor for gaming and a laptop and a tablet.  Phone and gaming and laptop and tablet each have their own uses.  My phone is integrated with my life making it much easier and more efficient and more fun.  Not having and using it would be as primitive to me as not showering daily.  

Good for you dude ! But I don't need ANY of the things you describe in your post. ( except for the 34 inch monitor  :smile:).