Bangkok bank really doesn't give out any Visa card anymore?

Samacha

On 10/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, habanero said:

A bank card is not a credit card.  A bank card is a Debit card.  Credit cards are not available to only Thais, they are available to any that qualify. Keyword, ""Qualify"".  Put 10 million baht in your account and see what a difference it makes.

Negative. Credit cards are available to non-Thais. I have one, and I'm not married to a Thai either. BBL will take a deposit of say 50,000 baht from you, put a lien on it, as you're a foreigner. That's now your spending limit. This is NOT a debit card. It works like a credit card, you have around 45 days to pay the bill, just like other credit cards in all countries, and you ern points on your spends.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

Negative. Credit cards are available to non-Thais. I have one, and I'm not married to a Thai either. BBL will take a deposit of say 50,000 baht from you, put a lien on it, as you're a foreigner. That's now your spending limit. This is NOT a debit card. It works like a credit card, you have around 45 days to pay the bill, just like other credit cards in all countries, and you ern points on your spends.

You need to re-read what I posted before you say negative. I stated cards are available to non Thais.

I have not read all of the replies but a major Thai Bank discontinuing Debit cards I don't think so. How does a BKK customer use an ATM or the money deposit machines, let alone internet banking and shopping ?

Maybe they plan to change them to MasterCard or one of the other minor agencies but the thought occurs to me that maybe the BRANCHES are not issuing them anymore. I have always marvelled at how you can wander in to a branch and get a new card immediately. Not so in UK and Germany for sure. You wait to have one sent. Maybe this is a security beef up ? I am going to my branch tomorrow to get my Retirement letter. I'll have my wife ask. 

PS : I was issued with Visa and matching MasterCard CREDIT cards in June but the Visa was cobranded Air Asia.

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

They are changing from issuing Visa Branded Debit Cards to Union Pay Branded Debit Cards which IMHO are useless.

Here in Switzerland I see many shops which allowed the Union Pay cards. Also in Las Vegas I remember they were accepted. As I not have Union Pay card I not really check and care.

But even when they would be accepted by 50%... it's still a big lost compared to the old cards.

Here in Switzerland I see many shops which allowed the Union Pay cards. Also in Las Vegas I remember they were accepted. As I not have Union Pay card I not really check and care.

But even when they would be accepted by 50%... it's still a big lost compared to the old cards.

even in Thailand we have trouble pay for shopping with them as the majority is only accepting visa / master. The only one I have personally seen that accepts Union Pay was Air Asia when trying to pay for an airline ticket, but haven’t tried it.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My wife tried to get a visa debit same i had issued from Bangkok bank  H/O a month ago

Now the local bank is saying head office has stopped them even doing that

Solution  was wife moved account to Krung thai .....seems BKK bank dont care 

On 10/22/2017 at 8:26 PM, poohy said:

My wife tried to get a visa debit same i had issued from Bangkok bank  H/O a month ago

Now the local bank is saying head office has stopped them even doing that

Solution  was wife moved account to Krung thai .....seems BKK bank dont care 

I called the BKK Bank Phone Number and I was told the same. NO More Visa Debit Cards are being issued ONLY Union Pay cards.

We are definitely changing Banks because of this, you can't even pay for your shopping with these Union Pay Cards.

Edit: I was also told by the Bank that the Visa Debit cards will keep working

Edited by MJCM