Bangkok bank really doesn't give out any Visa card anymore?

Samacha

They do issue credit cards, but they ask you to make a fixed deposit, against which they make a lien.

I deposited 50,000 baht in a fixed deposit and so my credit card has a spend limit of 50,000 baht.

Each month the actual bill is deducted in full from my linked savings account.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

They do issue credit cards, but they ask you to make a fixed deposit, against which they make a lien.

I deposited 50,000 baht in a fixed deposit and so my credit card has a spend limit of 50,000 baht.

Each month the actual bill is deducted in full from my linked savings account.

And I also have a separate ATM debit card. I do not have a work permit, simply on retirement visa.

5 hours ago, Samacha said:

my dad is a aussie, my mom is thai. She brought me to Bangkok bank because its suppose to be the biggest bank in thailand lol. She told me that you can do everything with it. HAHA. As i returned back to thailand after 28 years living outside (I am 28 years old), I JUST NEED a working bank thats has a visa card so i can purchase online in ali express, etc.... With union i cant order a damn thing.

I've managed to purchase from Ali Express a couple of times using my UK issued Amex card. Their site does have the facility to show your card is from a country other than the delivery address. No joy with Lazada though, even with a Thai Paypal account.

16 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

Thais only...you need to be a Thai with a "Job" to get credit.  My Thai wife has one with a set credit limit. I tell her she can't use it either...until she does that is LOL.  Expats need to put money on the bank to cover charges. They also need a Work Permit also. My card says Visa on it but it is only a ATM card only good for what's in the account. It's been that way for the last 11 years since I've been here.

we are not talking about credit cards. we are talking about debit cards.

only you seem to be having issues with the distinction.

Edited by HooHaa

3 hours ago, roath said:

I got a Visa debit card on the spot, but it came with personal accident insurance which I had to pay 599 baht for. As I don't have accident insurance, I don't mind too much and in some ways, it isn't a bad deal if you don't already have insurance.

For some reason though, they do seem to be pushing the Union Pay card, even though they weren't even sure if it could be used to make payments in shops such as Big C and Tesco.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Pages/Be1stSmartSiriraj.aspx

on the spot when?

2 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

Not talking about an ATM card... I'm talking about a "Credit Card". I bet you do not have a Credit card from a Thai bank. You have an ATM card attached to your bank account.  The symbols on the back simply indicate which ATM's it can be used at.

again we are talking about debit cards let the credit card thing go. we know the difference.

Edited by HooHaa

28 minutes ago, ianwheldale said:

I've managed to purchase from Ali Express a couple of times using my UK issued Amex card. Their site does have the facility to show your card is from a country other than the delivery address. No joy with Lazada though, even with a Thai Paypal account.

I manage to buy from Lazada using my Thai PayPal without issues.

I lost my bangkok bank visa debit card a couple months ago. I went to emporium branch and they gave me a union pay. I said I want a visa just like I had. They ordered it from somewhere and I picked it up a week later. I suspect if I lose this one, I won't be so lucky the next time.

Five days before I went on vacation to Europe my Bangkok Bank Visa ATM card was eaten by an Bangkok Bank ATM locally. I went to my local bank branch and was told that it would take a week to retrieve my card. I asked to cancel the card and issue a new VISA card. Told that would take a week to come from BKK HQ. Needed an ATM card so reluctantly accepted a UnionPay card with promise to get a new Visa ATM card upon my return.

UnionPay card would not work in any ATM in the UK so useless. Worked instantly on an ATM in Italy (Naples) but that was not my main vacation area. Had to live off my wife for six weeks (feels good!)

I think BKK are in bed with the pending Chinese hoards hence their change in policy with VISA.

Ironically, my wife had to trade in her OOD Visa ATM card issued by Krueng Thai back on the same day that I lost mine and she was issued one there and then and, it worked flawlessly in all European ATMs!

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

The thread title doesn't say debit or credit so the following should summarize.

Anyone with a BB account can get a BB debit card, Thai or foreigner.

It will be a UnionPay debit card.

A VISA debit card requires one being ordered from 'head office' but depending on your location, language skills, height, haircut and phase of the moon, the sales clerk and/or branch manager may still say, "Cannot." 

They will badger applicants to purchase 'mandatory' insurance but again based on exactly the same criteria as above, you may not have to buy insurance to get the card.

Only Thai's and foreigners with a Work Permit are eligible for a credit card of any brand.

Foreigners such as retirees and others without a Work Permit are eligible for a secured credit card of any brand.

Interesting read on Wiki on Visa vs UnionPay.

Visa is the world's second largest card payment organization (debit and credit cards combined), after being surpassed by China UnionPay in 2015, based on annual value of card payments transacted and number of issued cards.[8] Because UnionPay's size is based primarily on the size of its domestic market, Visa is dominant in the rest of the world outside of China, with 50% market share of global card payments minus China.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_Inc.

I don't wanna hijack the topic, but what Thai Bank is available that offers the same ATM / Debit card which can be used as a "Credit Card" which can be used ONLINE World Wide ??

I use my BBL (visa branded) ATM card online all the time to buy goods, book Hotels via Expedia etc etc

SCB has their Virtual Credit Card, but that only works WITHIN Thailand !

Any others ???

Edited by MJCM

I had this problem with the branch in Chamjuri Square at Sam Yan. The ATM ate my visa debit card and when I went to get it replaced they said I could only have one of the crap Be1st cards. I kicked up a fuss and eventually she went into the back office and came out with a new card. I don't know why they couldn't just retrieve my original card from the ATM but she said they are destroyed (which I didn't believe)..

Fast forward a couple of months and exact same thing happened (I'd changed my pin and forgotten the code, so atm ate it up). Again, at Chamjuri (different woman) I was refused, and the refusal continued even after I made the same fuss and even after I told her what had happened last time. She told me I'd have to go to the BKB HQ on Sathorn Road if I wanted one. With that, I just said forget it, I'm closing my account and she also said I had to go to Sathorn to do that! 

I walked out and have never used that account since. I took the money out with a passbook a few days later and opened an account with Kasikorn bank. They couldn't have been nicer. They even set up a separate electronic web card for making online payments (which is the only reason I wanted the debit visa card anyway) and were an altogether more professional outfit. BKB staff didn't seem to care about losing a customer, so lose me they did. 

Edited by longevity

I got the rabbit Be 1st Visa Debit card from my local branch about 2 months ago after the ATM ate my old one. It has to be ordered and they expected 100B for the luxury which I promptly denied paying as I had over 5MB go through my bank in the last year with no interest and a fee for keeping it there, what a bloody cheek. I said if they wanted tomlose my business after 5 years then " go ahead make my day". I'll move elsewhere. They decided they wanted to keep my money after all, no fee. 

Long and short it costs 100B and has to be ordered.

My branch wouldn't budge this time.  Union Pay only.  Been there done that already, so I walked out.

Sent an in-mail via iBanking when I got home.  2 days later, response said yes, can get Visa debit from BKK, 1 week delivery, etc.  I never did go back and try again, now just transferring money into Krungsi accounts for day to day use.  Screw Bangkok Bank!  Only reason I keep accounts with them now is for on-line transfers via New York Branch.

596f9803723da_bkkinmailresp-Copy.JPG.b786f01a5eff44828a1d271325e6e0f2.JPG.64c58f98d071fae9e36bff0247baffb1.JPG

My branch wouldn't budge this time.  Union Pay only.  Been there done that already, so I walked out.

Sent an in-mail via iBanking when I got home.  2 days later, response said yes, can get Visa debit from BKK, 1 week delivery, etc.  I never did go back and try again, now just transferring money into Krungsi accounts for day to day use.  Screw Bangkok Bank!  Only reason I keep accounts with them now is for on-line transfers via New York Branch.

596f9803723da_bkkinmailresp-Copy.JPG.b786f01a5eff44828a1d271325e6e0f2.JPG.64c58f98d071fae9e36bff0247baffb1.JPG

Yeah the ACH transfers from New York are pretty important to me. As far as I know, they're the only bank that can do that.

20 hours ago, saminoz said:

I manage to buy from Lazada using my Thai PayPal without issues.

I got to the PapPal checkout, and was asked to input card details. Only thing I have linked to my PP account is my verified Bangkok Bank account, no cards. Maybe I'm missing something. Old age :sad:

5 hours ago, ianwheldale said:

I got to the PapPal checkout, and was asked to input card details. Only thing I have linked to my PP account is my verified Bangkok Bank account, no cards. Maybe I'm missing something. Old age :sad:

Paypal can't (AFAIK) withdraw money from your Thai Bank Account,  and thus you have to enter your ATM / Direct Debet Card details to pay for stuff. But with Lazada why don't you select "Cash on Delivery" ?

Edited by MJCM

On 9/8/2017 at 1:24 PM, HooHaa said:

You seem to be the one confused. The OP was talking about a "Visa" bank card also know as a credit card.  Just because you have Visa Logo on your ATM card does not make it a credit card here. It's what is in your account that matters in that case.  Credit cards are available but for Thais only. My wife has one and they will not give me one (no loss here, I really don't want one) because I'm a foreigner. It is also up the Bank to decide who gets a credit card.

On 9/9/2017 at 4:48 PM, Mrjlh said:

You seem to be the one confused. The OP was talking about a "Visa" bank card also know as a credit card.  Just because you have Visa Logo on your ATM card does not make it a credit card here. It's what is in your account that matters in that case.  Credit cards are available but for Thais only. My wife has one and they will not give me one (no loss here, I really don't want one) because I'm a foreigner. It is also up the Bank to decide who gets a credit card.

Sigh, responding is so very not worth it.

But i am a glutton for punishment.

ihave a thai visa credit card from bangkok bank and one from thai citibank.

And again you state the obvious regarding the differnce between a debit and credit card.

The issue here is the difficulty in sourcing a visa branded debit card.. i was informed by bangkok bank that these have been discontinued, but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate differently, despit the information i received at head office.

8 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Sigh, responding is so very not worth it.

But i am a glutton for punishment.

ihave a thai visa credit card from bangkok bank and one from thai citibank.

And again you state the obvious regarding the differnce between a debit and credit card.

The issue here is the difficulty in sourcing a visa branded debit card.. i was informed by bangkok bank that these have been discontinued, but anecdotal evidence seems to indicate differently, despit the information i received at head office.

Exactly. I have a Visa branded debit card, and a Visa credit card. I'm a foreigner, not married to a Thai, only on retirement visa, and in fact BBL pushed me to get these two cards.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2017 at 3:48 PM, Mrjlh said:

I have a Bangkok Bank Credit Card, just renewed this month for 5 more years.  Got it first back 15 years ago. Bt 150k limit.

On 9/9/2017 at 3:34 PM, MJCM said:

Paypal can't (AFAIK) withdraw money from your Thai Bank Account,  and thus you have to enter your ATM / Direct Debet Card details to pay for stuff. But with Lazada why don't you select "Cash on Delivery" ?

Sorry that is not true. My paypal is connected to my Bangkok Bank account, and PayPal did so withdraw money from my B.B. account.

ontopic to the Visa debit card. Last month I went to the B.B. in Udon Thani to ask for Visa debit card due to I could not use union card in the Netherlands. And they did give me the card with no any hassle. The card costed me just ฿100,- .

5 hours ago, Khun Klahan said:

Sorry that is not true. My paypal is connected to my Bangkok Bank account, and PayPal did so withdraw money from my B.B. account.

I can't Topup my Thai Paypal account from my Bank Account. I can only add a Debit/Credit Card and pay via that, but not directly via my Thai bank account.

https://www.paypal.com/th/selfhelp/article/can-i-top-up-my-paypal-account-faq1828

The Top Up option is currently unavailable for Thailand. To send payments, you can use a credit or debit card linked to your PayPal account.

Edited by MJCM

On 9/9/2017 at 3:48 PM, Mrjlh said:

A bank card is not a credit card.  A bank card is a Debit card.  Credit cards are not available to only Thais, they are available to any that qualify. Keyword, ""Qualify"".  Put 10 million baht in your account and see what a difference it makes.

Edited by habanero

On 9/11/2017 at 7:18 PM, captpkapoor said:

Exactly. I have a Visa branded debit card, and a Visa credit card

I have master card  (which has some link up to Air Asia points if you use it) and the normal Bangkok Bank Visa card..platinum .

They also pushed these onto me, I took them after the third time they offered.

We own our own house -not unusual for farang here--but unfortunately...not 10 million in the bank.

It only has a limit of 100K---which is not a lot, but just makes it easy for the hire Car/Hotel/Plane etc..etc.. & the minute you spend over 10K --in one purchase--they text you that you have...(in case you haven't)

My wife also has separate Credit cards.

In our BKK Bank (Issan) they have Credit Card leaflets on the counter--seem to be pushing it a little.

17 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I have master card  (which has some link up to Air Asia points if you use it) and the normal Bangkok Bank Visa card..platinum .

They also pushed these onto me, I took them after the third time they offered.

We own our own house -not unusual for farang here--but unfortunately...not 10 million in the bank.

It only has a limit of 100K---which is not a lot, but just makes it easy for the hire Car/Hotel/Plane etc..etc.. & the minute you spend over 10K --in one purchase--they text you that you have...(in case you haven't)

My wife also has separate Credit cards.

In our BKK Bank (Issan) they have Credit Card leaflets on the counter--seem to be pushing it a little.

The post is about Visa debit Cards (ATM card) not CC....

20 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

The post is about Visa debit Cards (ATM card) not CC.

Thanks canopus....apologies to all others.....to lazy to go back read original story...

** Why would there be a problem getting a debit card

GO READ IT AND SEE OXO

.......oh OK.......:wub: