Phuket road deaths keep on rolling

snoop1130

Phuket road deaths keep on rolling

Shela Riva

1504784037_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong (2nd from left) led the meeting on road safety yesterday (Sept 6). Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET:-- A total of 68 people died on Phuket’s roads from January through April this year, with more statistics to be tabled indicating that Phuket is on track to match – or even exceed – last year’s road death toll of 174.

Surangsri Sritamanot of the Thalang Hospital strategies department revealed the statistic to The Phuket News today (Sept 7).

“We have information for Phuket from three different databases: the government, police, and public health department. From January to April there have been 68 deaths as a result of road accident, in Phuket,” Ms Surangsri said.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-deaths-keep-on-rolling-63798.php#kQzZx29Lki79iJiL.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-9-7

My agenda tells me its September already, but they just finished with the statistics up till April?

Maybe time to buy the poor sod doing the calculations a calculator or god forbid, a computer.

These kinds of statistics should be available a few hours after the days ends, on a daily basis.

30 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Sadly those figures quoted only count deaths at the scene of an accident. It is horrifying to think what the numbers would be if you count the people who succumb to injuries later on. :sick:

As has been shown many times already: that is an urban myth, also people who die later from their injuries are included.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

As has been shown many times already: that is an urban myth, also people who die later from their injuries are included.

From asiancorrespondent:

80 lives lost every day: Why are Thailand’s roads so dangerous?

". It should also be noted that statistics taken inside Thailand only includes victims who died at the scene, while WHO statistics include persons that died within 30 days of the accident"

Who stands now corrected?

Edited by hanuman2543

5 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

From asiancorrespondent:

80 lives lost every day: Why are Thailand’s roads so dangerous?

". It should also be noted that statistics taken inside Thailand only includes victims who died at the scene, while WHO statistics include persons that died within 30 days of the accident"

Who stands now corrected?

Asiancorrespondent for keeping this urban myth alive.

2 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Really lame excuse.  Link to proof your urban myth? If you can't you are a persistent l....

Countless times here there have been claims only deaths at the scene are included. But many times this has been proven incorrect by the numbers: accident during Songkran period, seriously injured on the 12th, taken to hospital on the 12th. Included in the numbers of the 13th since that was the day he died.

If you don't believe, do a search yourself.

Because asiancorrespondent writes it it must be true? :sad:

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Countless times here there have been claims only deaths at the scene are included. But many times this has been proven incorrect by the numbers: accident during Songkran period, seriously injured on the 12th, taken to hospital on the 12th. Included in the numbers of the 13th since that was the day he died.

As far as I know they employ real journalist and do a proper research before they state something as a fact in a story. Otoh from you I hear only lame excuses and " if you don't  believe...." . Your arguments have no credibility at all and all you do is applying the old Thai tactic of deny deny deny. You lied that's a fact and I caught you on it.

26 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

As far as I know they employ real journalist and do a proper research before they state something as a fact in a story. Otoh from you I hear only lame excuses and " if you don't  believe...." . Your arguments have no credibility at all and all you do is applying the old Thai tactic of deny deny deny. You lied that's a fact and I caught you on it.

I even gave you an example. One more example:

where you see in the OP that somebody died later in hospital but is included in the numbers.

And no excuses anywhere, only the way it is. Don't believe it, up to you, but keep on sprouting urban myths and I will keep on calling you out on it.

Edited by stevenl

Where to start...?

- Law enforcement of actual highway rules/law

- Real driver/rider standards, Instruction, training, competency and testing

- Vehicle testing, taxing and Insurance

- Pro-active Road safety management

- Money for road infrastructure

- Money for integrated island wide public transport system (appropriate for an International tourist destination)

- insert any other items to list here...

There six off the cuff, lets see, how many do you think may ever happen

On 9/9/2017 at 3:54 PM, stevenl said:

"Because asiancorrespondent writes it it must be true?" - so, because a Thai official says it, it must be true?  :cheesy:

Those in power here have a financial interest to ensure the lack of proper public transport here is kept Phuket's dirt little secret scam on tourists, thus, the UNACCEPTABLE number of road deaths here continues, year after year, regardless of when / where / how they are counted.   

It's a disgrace, and their corruption continues to kill on the roads here. 

On 08/09/2017 at 9:23 AM, stevenl said:

Regardless of when they die or whether or not they are included in the traffic fatality statistics 80 deaths per day is tragic and preventable with driver education, practical training and proper policing.  Who would train the trainers?  

6 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Regardless of when they die or whether or not they are included in the traffic fatality statistics 80 deaths per day is tragic and preventable with driver education, practical training and proper policing.  Who would train the trainers?  

This may slightly reduce the number of fatalities, but I still think the main problem is an ever increasing number of cars combined with even more people on 'bikes.  Not a good combination, amplified by the way most are in a hurry for one reason or another, and so driving badly.

Are the fatality statistics for those in cars far higher than expected?