What was he thinking? Thai media pose question of driver who went the wrong way round a bend and killed a baby

webfact

On 9/9/2017 at 7:42 AM, StevieAus said:

Continue to live in a fools paradise I will continue to recognize dangerous driving for what it is is which then allows me to take a proactive approach and try to avoid being killed by these people

As far as culture-bias is concerned my Thai wife holds both Thai and Australia driving licenses and spent several years living and driving in Australia and is the first to admit that the lack of driver training and law enforcement is a major problem here, she is probably more critical of the driving standard than I am.

I don't think there is too much culture bias there and for the record she is a very Nationalistic  Thai person

I never stated that this was a paradise. And you trying to subtly bringing the idea I am a fool is not very kind. I haven't had an accident in 30 years. That's because I drive defensively, but I sometimes go with the flow, not respecting the rules, the yellow lines,... Why? Because laws cannot handle all situations. It is hard to specify on a intersection sign that "If there are no cars around and it is 3 a.m, look and cross even on red." Anglo-Saxons love to follow rules and laws, religiously. Lating cultures not so much. That's a cultural bias. They do exist. Not all people live the way the Commonwealth and/or the USA want(s) the world to live. As stated I appreciate the scooter lane, even though I stop to look. That's my cultural bias.

Women (and I would assume your wife fits the stereotype) are generally scary cats when it comes to driving. They follows laws religiously too. If someone were to ask them to drive 10 km/h, they would. There is sign around a school in CM that operate 24/7 asking people to drive 30 km/h where 60 to 70 km/h would be safe, outside of school hours. Bad implementation. Btw, there are far less scooters in Australia and that makes driving an easier task, which would give the impression that everyone is a better driver. But, you are probably right that they are better drivers in Australia.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/8/2017 at 10:32 AM, garbolino said:

what law?? No one adheres to LAWS/rules of the road in this country

IMO: Rules/laws in Lack of Sanctions (LOS) are only to obtain bribes. This country has no effective/responsible police force. Thailand would be a much different place if it did. But I doubt Thais would want a rule of law country. They just could not handle it. They NEED corruption.

3 hours ago, selftaopath said:

IMO: Rules/laws in Lack of Sanctions (LOS) are only to obtain bribes. This country has no effective/responsible police force. Thailand would be a much different place if it did. But I doubt Thais would want a rule of law country. They just could not handle it. They NEED corruption.

Tell us about their NEED to circumvent intersection control lights at the risk of their lives and the lives of the law-abiders. I see it every day. Maybe they NEED the adrenalin rush.

And how about the completely ridiculous noise levels of some motorbikes? What is that NEED all about? And the NEED self-destructiveness of not using helmets and taking unnecessary risks?

How about the NEED to put a motorbike taxi passenger at their ultimate destination by traveling half a block on the sidewalk (pavement(s) for UK folks)?

How about the NEED to place their young children at risk on motorbikes and more often than not without any kind of protection, not even simple eye protection that would cost next to nothing?

I see the above examples of these NEEDS every day. Since they don't involve money directly can it be called "corruption" or should it be termed something else?

Thailand is generally a civilized, "rule-of-law" country for the majority of its citizens; otherwise it would be utter, abject bedlam. However, for the remainder - the numerous, immoral or amoral law-scoffers, especially the ones whose actions are potentially dangerous to others - it would take draconian, totalitarian measures to civilize them.

EoR (End of Rant) :biggrin:

Edited by MaxYakov