Russian Nuclear Tech For Thailand

webfact

14 hours ago, soalbundy said:

No I wasn't being funny, so this isn't a major disaster waiting to happen.

Well, it could be for the operators if training and expert maintenance isn't maintained. There needs to be regular monitoring of radiation levels just outside the unit. I am not an expert and I don't know what the shielding will be made of in this case. Gamma radiation intensity can be reduced by 50% using 1 cm thick lead shield but about 4 cm of concrete can do the same. As far as I'm aware even the radioactive waste becomes harmless after a short period and is not an environmental problem (unlike that from reactors). Is it unit of possible mass destruction? No.

However, if you are alluding to 'this is Thailand' type of idea I would assume that the Russians will insist upon their experts for surveillance on a regular basis (bump the price up?) at least that is what I would hope.

I must admit that I find this picture of what appears to be a school-class, visiting the existing reactor, peering over-the-low-edge into the cooling-pond (?), to be faintly worrying ? 

Shouldn't they be wearing cloth-masks, over their mouths, or something ? :unsure:

I hope nobody falls in ! :shock1:

image.png.51d0ec4b383a3a43ee710d4ed9b08c56.png

I'd much prefer if Thailand didn't have nuclear, however the Russian technology is probably as good as they will find. Quite a bit of Russian technology is actually world best in certain areas, just have a look at the heavy reliance they have on science and math in schools where the west places emphasis on transgender or indigenous studies. Things have moved on since Chernobyl and even the Westinghouse units in Fukushima for that matter were quite old.

The cyclotron will be used to manufacture isotopes used in Single-Proton Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT) and Positron-Emission Tomography (PET), which are imaging techniques for various body functions used in medicine, including monitoring cancer, brain function, and heart and infectious diseases.  Thailand already produces some PET isotopes locally, but all SPECT ones are currently imported.  I trust the bashers on here will put their health where their mouths are, and turn down any medical treatment making use of Thai made isotopes both here and elsewhere in the region once production and export are up and running.