Canada - Survivors pension

ratcatcher

Perhaps someone knowledgeable about Canadian pension matters can give me some information.

I am retired and living in Thailand for last 17 years. I recently requested information from Service Canada re widows pensions. I informed them I am legally married to a Thai citizen and have marriage certificate translated and notarized by the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok, they replied informing me of the fact that my Thai wife is entitled to a small monthly survivors pension upon my death. I imagine this topic may have been discussed elsewhere before, but can't locate details.

Has anyone any information as to how this works and also since my wife does not have a Canadian bank account, are there mechanisms to allow deposits in any other way?

Are there Canadian banks that have affiliations with Thai banks etc?

Any information much appreciated..................thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have been looking into things like this lately. I think that if your wife has not lived in Canada for a certain amount of years she is not eligible. I think it is 5 years. Call them they will tell you for sure. I called weeks ago and found out I am not eligible because I only have 19 years out of the 20 required to get a Canadian pension. frack frack frack

On 9/8/2017 at 12:09 AM, ratcatcher said:

they replied informing me of the fact that my Thai wife is entitled to a small monthly survivors pension upon my death

Don't trust this until you confirm it. They might be under the impression that she has lived in Canada.

Archived