P and S Market in Rawai is Closing.

Jimi007

The mom and pop P&S Market is closing at the end of the month I was told today. It's the place just up from Nikitas on Soi Kokmakham. I've known the family for a long time, another end of an era around here. I'm sad to see them close. They said they can't keep losing money. Not much business these days and fewer expats it seems, plus Makro, Super Cheap, Tesco and Family Marts are everywhere... 

Such is life.....

The 24 hour supermarket, Rungnapa on Patak road, near the circle, after years of business shut down due to 711 and Villamart opening close by.

It happens all the time and the result usually ends up favouring the customer. Have seen plenty of failed 711's and Family Marts close down. They're not immune.

The root problem is the lack of non-Chinese tourists. Seems these days, it's only the retirees and the coffin-dodger brigade you see around.........most living on a fixed income. Hard times are here.

14 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Very sad. I always go to these shops. The arrogant 7-11s and Supercheaps always open on the same sois as these m&p shops.

This was not your typical mom and pop shop.

A pity they're closing, they always had a wide offer with many things not for sale at Family Mart nor 7/11. But I guess my bimonthly visits were not enough.

2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

They were the first place that reliably had beer Lao available.  Does anyone know if the family owned the land as it's in a good location and is worth a few bob I would imagine.

Yes, dark Beer Lao was one of the first things I though of when I heard. I'm not sure if they own the land, I never asked, but I do remember when they rebuilt the place and added hotel rooms upstairs and the shop next door. I saw the plans being drawn up by the owner of P&S. 

But their prices were expensive compared to other 'mom and pop' stores - hence expats finding cheaper 'mom and pop' stores'?

Having said that, I noticed the last couple of times I went there that the prices were far better - but I'd built up a 'loyalty' to another shop (further away) by then :sad:

Edited by dick dasterdly

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

But their prices were expensive compared to other 'mom and pop' stores - hence expats finding cheaper 'mom and pop' stores'?

Having said that, I noticed the last couple of times I went there that the prices were far better - but I'd built up a 'loyalty' to another shop (further away) by then :sad:

How long before your "other shop" puts up their prices, now their competition has gone????

6 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I think the local Lotus Express and small SuperCheaps will be in competition. But I suspect Lotus are loosing the battle. 

The small Super Cheaps do seem more crowded than the small Tesco/Lotus. The local Super Cheap has decent vegetables too. Family Marts are everywhere around Rawai. I'm not sure, but I think they may outnumber 7-11s now.

42 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

The small Super Cheaps do seem more crowded than the small Tesco/Lotus. The local Super Cheap has decent vegetables too. Family Marts are everywhere around Rawai. I'm not sure, but I think they may outnumber 7-11s now.

Take into account that those small SuperCheaps are about the same size as the Tesco just before the circle.  They're a lot bigger than the family marts, 7/11's and small Tesco's.

43 minutes ago, Coconut Kidd said:

Agree that the small SuperCheaps (SC) have a wide variety of foods, as I have found at the newer SC in Kamala. However the standard SC stink trumped by a strong smell of cat piss will keep me going to Lotus Express.

I always likened the smell to a combination of dead rodent and rat pee.

The new one in Patong on Nanai is particularly bad. On our last visit, my wife and I had to literally hold our breath until we got to the stairs to get up to the second floor.

53 minutes ago, Coconut Kidd said:

Agree that the small SuperCheaps (SC) have a wide variety of foods, as I have found at the newer SC in Kamala. However the standard SC stink trumped by a strong smell of cat piss will keep me going to Lotus Express.

Doesn't seem to matter. They're always busy and seem to be winning the competition with all the others.

2 hours ago, Coconut Kidd said:

Yes, it's quite amazing that the stink (rat shit, pigeon shit) from the original big store now permeates through all the small stores.  Hard to believe they have  a trademark on that special stink.   

21 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Another sign of a declining good base of tourists, expats, and locals resulting in a bad business environment.

No, a sign of increasing competition. In this specific area tourism has (unfortunately I think) only increased, with also western tourists.

Just now, stevenl said:

No, a sign of increasing competition. In this specific area tourism has (unfortunately I think) only increased, with also western tourists.

Yes, add competition and lower prices to the mix. 

I don't see more non-Chinese tourists, or expats and they aren't spending like in the past. A lower base of customers, spending less money is slowly killing off many businesses. 

22 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Yes, add competition and lower prices to the mix. 

I don't see more non-Chinese tourists, or expats and they aren't spending like in the past. A lower base of customers, spending less money is slowly killing off many businesses. 

There are many more western tourists. Your assessment here is simply incorrect.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There are many more western tourists. Your assessment here is simply incorrect.

Yes according to TAT.

But not according from the business owners, the regular closing of businesses and the lack of people in those still operating. This has been already about a 4 year trend with no end in sight. 

4 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Yes according to TAT.

But not according from the business owners, the regular closing of businesses and the lack of people in those still operating. This has been already about a 4 year trend with no end in sight. 

I'm not talking about TAT, I'm talking on the ground in Rawai, where this thread is about.

59 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I'm not talking about TAT, I'm talking on the ground in Rawai, where this thread is about.

Yes, for sure in this area the number of the shop has increased a lot more than the number of the non-chinese tourists.

All the commercial activities that I know repeat the same mantra : "Only chinese tourist groups not willing to spend money".

5 minutes ago, federicoP said:

Yes, for sure in this area the number of the shop has increased a lot more than the number of the non-chinese tourists.

All the commercial activities that I know repeat the same mantra : "Only chinese tourist groups not willing to spend money".

Yup! Almost all new businesses opening are Thai / Chinese owned, geared to Chinese tour groups. I doubt many expats consider this a positive trend, whether they are business owners or not. 

9 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Yup! Almost all new businesses opening are Thai / Chinese owned, geared to Chinese tour groups. I doubt many expats consider this a positive trend, whether they are business owners or not. 

This thread is about a shop closing in Rawai. 

10 hours ago, Yahooka said:

Sad to hear that. Lived a stone throw away from the shop 10 years ago and used it daily. Always a good selection of wine and they where friendly too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"they where friendly too"

Which is one of the reasons why I'm sad to hear they're closing down :sad:.

Perhaps if those of us in the area transferred our 'allegiances' now that their prices are more reasonable?