Living and working in two provinces.

Several years ago I entered Thailand on a Non-O visa granted to me because I'm married to a Thai national. I have been living here on yearly extensions ever since.

I have a job opportunity in an adjacent province and I have rented an apartment near my job. I am registered with immigration in the new province and recently successfully did a 90 days report at the new address. 

My work permit application was accepted based on my original (several years old) Non-O visa. Am I correct to assume that work is permitted on my type of Non-O visa? I know this should be obvious... but I'll ask anyway.

My annual extension of stay is coming up in a few months. Will I need to re-register my address in my wife's province to accomplish that extension?

The province where I live with my wife could care less where foreigners stay, or so it seems. The province I will be working in is very strict about address registrations for foreigners. My landlord tells me not to worry, but to inform him each time I return after staying elsewhere even if it was for only as little as 24 hours. That might be 50+ times a year, or every weekend. What problems, if any, should I expect? I don't see any obvious problems, but I thought I should ask the forum, just in case.

I live in with my wife in Lamphun, and work in Chiang Mai. My visa is a non-imm B, so I process the annual extension in Chiang Mai. I do 90 day reports, re-entry permits and any other business in Lamphun. Chiang Mai told me to do my 90 day reports in Lamphun when the Lamphun immigration office opened a year ago.

Recently I was on holiday and tried to do my 90 day report in Ranong. the officer there was very upset that I was doing reports in a different province to my job, told me it was an impossible situation, that nobody works in one province and lives in another and that my visa was now invalid. So your mileage may vary depending on when the officer you are talking to last had sex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, 96tehtarp said:

My work permit application was accepted based on my original (several years old) Non-O visa. Am I correct to assume that work is permitted on my type of Non-O visa? I know this should be obvious... but I'll ask anyway.

You can work with a non-o visa or an extension of stay based upon marriage.

My annual extension of stay is coming up in a few months. Will I need to re-register my address in my wife's province to accomplish that extension?

You will need present proof of residence for where you are applying for the extension.

The province where I live with my wife could care less where foreigners stay, or so it seems. The province I will be working in is very strict about address registrations for foreigners. My landlord tells me not to worry, but to inform him each time I return after staying elsewhere even if it was for only as little as 24 hours.

How would immigration know when you make short visits to be with your wife.

The only way they could be aware would be if you told them. If you stayed in a hotel and they reported your stay they might know about it but they would to look for the report to know.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, naboo said:

the officer there was very upset that I was doing reports in a different province to my job, told me it was an impossible situation, that nobody works in one province and lives in another and that my visa was now invalid.

reveals the mentality and (in)competence of some immigration officers; these are the kind of people where it might be worth your while to find out when they have their days off

In the days before Nonthaburi had its own Immigration office, I lived in Bangkok and worked in Nonthaburi. I did my Work Permit in Nonthaburi, Non-immigrant "B" visa and 90 day confirmation of residence reports in Bangkok. The only slight hassle was with the 90 day reports. My foreign work colleagues all lived in Nonthaburi, and they were allowed to do their 90 day reports to Bangkok by mail. Because I lived inside the Bangkok boundary by about 1 km, I had to do mine in person, which in those days, meant a trip to Suan Phlu ever 90 days.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marius Brok said:

I am a Dutch citizin, so sorry for my English.

In a number of storries one designate "we are married". Is this legal married in Thailand or legal married in UK or else?

It does not matter where you married your Thai wife. You are still legally married if you have a marriage certificate.

If married outside Thailand you would have to register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 to obtain an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration.

To get a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate your foreign marriage certificate would need to be in English or be translated to Thai.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not matter where you married your Thai wife. You are still legally married.

If married outside Thailand you would have to register your foreign marriage at an Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 22 to obtain an extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration.

To get a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate your foreign marriage certificate would need to be in English or be translated to Thai.

Thanks