Bangkok, where's a GREAT place to live with school kids...?

SurinBeach

Hi All,

I'm considering (just considering) moving to Bangkok starting January with my 2 half Thai children aged 8 & 11.

We've been living in Phuket for circa 15 years.

Just wondered if any BMs can suggest areas that they think are really great to live and also commutable for easy school runs via School Bus or Skytrain ?

I don't mind if its a nice condo connected to the Skytrain (with pool/gym etc) or nice housing development with families but also OK for school buses.

I like Thorng Lo but maybe a bit too busy for kids ...but as the plan would be return to the family home during school holidays, the kids will get enough beach time/fresh air etc !

Price range I would say Mid to high end (for schools and accommodation)

Cheers,

SB .

5 hours ago, SurinBeach said:

Don MuanG Airport ...

Oh i see, that's an advantage me thinks.

Hyde Park is an upscale villapark with international school connected to it, perfect for kids if you can afford it.

And they have all kinds of houses, in all priceranges.

Myself i would never live in a condo downtown, especially not with kids. You best find the school first and then the house as close as possible to it. 

Choose the school first....  then find somewhere decent to live near it.

It's really difficult to offer advice unless the location is narrowed down. 

For example - Inner City (Asoke) - Millennium Residence (Condo) is ideal for kids... Pretty close to NIST and Bangkok Prep, it has a good pool, tennis courts, a good gym, little kids play area downstairs, large grounds (but not grassed). 

19 minutes ago, Thian said:

Oh i see, that's an advantage me thinks.

Hyde Park is an upscale villapark with international school connected to it, perfect for kids if you can afford it.

And they have all kinds of houses, in all priceranges.

Myself i would never live in a condo downtown, especially not with kids. You best find the school first and then the house as close as possible to it. 

Yeh I guess it could be (ie close to DMG), I was just more thinking of airplane noise, but watched the video, look pretty nice...

5 hours ago, SurinBeach said:

Yeh I guess it could be (ie close to DMG), I was just more thinking of airplane noise, but watched the video, look pretty nice...

Well i know better villaparks in the area but those don't have their own school. 

We also hear planes but i like it, gives me the feeling to be in the civilised world..

You better make up your mind if you want to live in a condo or house...when i lived in a condo we had to mop the floor every other day or have black feet....a house is much more fun for me.

26 minutes ago, blackcab said:

You need to get into the school first. Some schools are a lot more selective than others, and the school year has just started.

What type of education do you want? British curriculum, IB, etc?

Starting to look for next year ...

To me it doesn't really matter if British Curriculim, IB etc,

currently younger kid at a Thai International school, EP program as better for Thai language,

elder kid at IB...

15 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well i know better villaparks in the area but those don't have their own school. 

We also hear planes but i like it, gives me the feeling to be in the civilised world..

You better make up your mind if you want to live in a condo or house...when i lived in a condo we had to mop the floor every other day or have black feet....a house is much more fun for me.

We currently live in a 5 bed house with pool etc on half Rai, although circa 5 years ago lived in a small condo unit where I think it's quite good for  kids also as they can always pop down the communal pool and find other kids to play with ....

6 hours ago, SurinBeach said:

We currently live in a 5 bed house with pool etc on half Rai, although circa 5 years ago lived in a small condo unit where I think it's quite good for  kids also as they can always pop down the communal pool and find other kids to play with ....

Yes but villaparks also have tenniscourt, soccerfield, gym, parks, safe streets, gardens and plenty other kids..

Also condo's have a tiny kitchen, which is no fun for me....but it's all up to you of course.

8 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes but villaparks also have tenniscourt, soccerfield, gym, parks, safe streets, gardens and plenty other kids..

Also condo's have a tiny kitchen, which is no fun for me....but it's all up to you of course.

Yup, I would say I prefer "Villa Park" living generally ....

except a couple of neighbours feeding Soi Dogs that bite some kids and leave their "mess" everywhere ...

There is a decent gated community right next to Sarasas Witaed Suvarnabhumi. Pool, very good security, playground areas. The surrounding area is heavy industrial, but if you stay in the community, it's quite nice. Close to Mega Bangna Mall and a Tesco 4 kilometers away. Oh yeah, NO soi dogs!

Edited by quandow
Added last sentence

You could move slightly outside Bangkok. Nonthaburi/Pak Kret it is a short drive in to Bangkok. There are also many

Excellent villages and good schools. Bangkok Boulevard/ Ladalom are examples of good villages. You have ISB school, which is very expensive, but also the newly opened Denla British school which is cheaper. Large shopping centers and all the usual Supermarkets e.g Villa Market, Tops, Macro etc. Traffic also not as bad as central Bangkok, but not great during rush hour.

Bangkok Condo's are conducive to kids getting serious cases of cabin fever and/or smartphone-itis.
I first tried to solve that issue in the early nineties with two of my kids but ended up expatriating them.
Not enough common space in the inner city and any place else you pay for it.
Not an easy one. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 hours ago, BKK1969 said:

Bangkok Condo's are conducive to kids getting serious cases of cabin fever and/or smartphone-itis.
I first tried to solve that issue in the early nineties with two of my kids but ended up expatriating them.
Not enough common space in the inner city and any place else you pay for it.
Not an easy one. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I agree, raise kids in a condo and big chance they'll need glasses before they are teenagers