StrongVPN Connection Issue

quandow

16 hours ago, myprivate said:

In my experience True definitely blocks VPN's, or at least throttles them down to kb rates rendering them useless for streaming

That was "not" my experience when I was with True up until about 14 months ago.  VPN worked fine and "improved" speed to many international sites.    Maybe your VPN Service provider is the bad guy in this case, not True as all VPN Service Providers are not created equal.  And if a free VPN service they are usually slower than paid VPN service.

See this ThaiVisa thread for more info on VPN "usually" improving your speed to some international sites....it sure did for me when I was on True.

I'm using TunnelBear now, but also tried a few others but got the same problem.

I telephoned True technical support and they confirmed to me that they restrict VPN's and advised that I need to change to a business package if I want to use a VPN at full speed.

I then contacted the VPN service provider and they replied saying that this is a known issue for many ISP in Thailand.

I've tested it myself - a speedtest with VPN turned off is 18MB, but a speedtest with VPN turned on is 0.2MB. Which VPN did you use? By the way, I'm talking about True Fibre (not cell 3G/4G)a

I'm using TunnelBear now, but also tried a few others but got the same problem.

I telephoned True technical support and they confirmed to me that they restrict VPN's and advised that I need to change to a business package if I want to use a VPN at full speed.

I then contacted the VPN service provider and they replied saying that this is a known issue for many ISP in Thailand.

I've tested it myself - a speedtest with VPN turned off is 18MB, but a speedtest with VPN turned on is 0.2MB. Which VPN did you use? By the way, I'm talking about True Fibre (not cell 3G/4G)a

I'm not on True so I'm only guessing what might work, but maybe try HotspotVPN. That one (optionally) you run a VPN on port 443 and you ISP might see that as being normal https traffic.

Archived