Sell used stuff from here on eBay, best way?

mat999

I am selling 5 used camera lenses and nobody wants them here. They will sell easily on eBay. Would you ship them all to a friend or family member together, then sell from within the country? Or would you change your eBay address and sell from here? I am unsure what the postage fees are and whether it will be an issue for UK customs. Thanks.

in times of favourable exchange rates i had a profitable ebay business.

the post office can tell you the cost of sending items (by weight/registered or not) by post

on your ebay page state you are in thailand and explain the delivery time scales, as long as you are above board you will have no problems.

never had a problem with customs

I have sold loads of my old stuff here ,in preparation for a move.I use Facebook .I put the add in groups that are covering my City .(Chiang mai ) .For Camera gear ,i would put it in a facebook group specific to selling used Cameras and equipment. 

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

in times of favourable exchange rates i had a profitable ebay business.

the post office can tell you the cost of sending items (by weight/registered or not) by post

on your ebay page state you are in thailand and explain the delivery time scales, as long as you are above board you will have no problems.

never had a problem with customs

Did you open a new eBay account or use one from back home? Whilst living in the Philippines I bought a gift for someone in the UK and had to put my Philippines address in. It ruined my eBay account as it was nigh on impossible to get it back from being converted to an Asian account. So I couldn't use it for a long time. Eventually got it sorted but don't fancy going through that again.

I was partly thinking of sending the items to someone in the UK to send out from there as people prefer UK sellers to foreigners, except for cheap Chinese stuff. Peace of mind and faster delivery. If I had to create a new account with no feedback that would look even worse, so the items would sell for less or not sell at all.

I never considered Craigslist. Will see if it is popular in Chiang Mai. Edit: hardly any lenses even in Bangkok. Certainly wont sell.

I posted loads of ads on the Facebook groups but only sold one lens. They are too niche.

Edited by mat999

Personally i would post them back to family let them post them out if sold. But pack them correctly camera lens are easy to damage. Photography using conventional cameras (when i say conventional i mean any sort old film roll or newer smart type) is not a big thing here i have noticed over the years especialy with the better cameras now on smart phones. Pity but there it is.

Edited by jeab1980

I used eBay a lot in Australia and was great. I have only looked once here and was in Thai.  Maybe I did not look far enough. I have tried Facebook and don't get many responses and the ones that do respond want it for nothing. 

11 hours ago, anto said:

I have sold loads of my old stuff here ,in preparation for a move.I use Facebook .I put the add in groups that are covering my City .(Chiang mai ) .For Camera gear ,i would put it in a facebook group specific to selling used Cameras and equipments.

I'm envious of you success selling things in the Chiang Mai  Facebook groups, my ads have been met mostly with enquiries by cheap Charlies and trolls who want to argue about the value of items but have no legitimate interest in purchasing.

Edited by suzannegoh
Gggg

58 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

I'm envious of you success selling things in the Chiang Mai  Facebook groups, my ads have been met mostly with enquiries by cheap Charlies and trolls who want to argue about the value of items but have no legitimate interest in purchasing.

I dont entertain people who want a discount without even seeing the goods .They just throw out silly offers hoping somebody will bight .Some things sell quickly ,like fridges ,other things like books can be slow .

Yep, same here.

Even encountered other farang trying to sell things that don't sell so puts price up. One item I was interested in wanted 2000 (up from 1800 he originally advertised for). Can buy new fir 2139 at HomePro.

3 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Yep, same here.

Even encountered other farang trying to sell things that don't sell so puts price up. One item I was interested in wanted 2000 (up from 1800 he originally advertised for). Can buy new fir 2139 at HomePro.

Thats a trick i use quite often. If somethings not selling whack the price up gets people thinking its worth more. They usualy come back with an offer above my origional asking price. Its called supply and demand if if someone wants to buy an item  for say 2k and new its 2.2k at home pro thats good for me. There choice i dont twist there arms or threaten them.

Thats a trick i use quite often. If somethings not selling whack the price up gets people thinking its worth more. They usualy come back with an offer above my origional asking price. Its called supply and demand if if someone wants to buy an item  for say 2k and new its 2.2k at home pro thats good for me. There choice i dont twist there arms or threaten them.

Caveat emptor.

Yep, same here.

The all time classic in those groups was a farang member of the local chapter of the Krishnas was trying to sell a tuk tuk for something like 900,000 baht. The premium over the price of a new tuk tuk was justified on the basis that it had a custom sound system.

The all time classic in those groups was a farang member of the local chapter of the Krishnas was trying to sell a tuk tuk for something like 900,000 baht. The premium over the price of a new tuk tuk was justified on the basis that it had a custom sound system.

And was blessed by the Krishnas.