North Korea warns U.S. will pay due price for spearheading U.N. sanctions

webfact

North Korea warns U.S. will pay due price for spearheading U.N. sanctions

tag-reuters.jpg

FILE PHOTO: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un participates in a meeting with the Presidium of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the WorkersÕ Party of Korea in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang September 4, 2017. KCNA via REUTERS/File Photo

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea warned on Monday the United States would pay a "due price" for spearheading a U.N. Security Council resolution against its latest nuclear test, as Washington presses for a vote on a draft resolution imposing more sanctions on Pyongyang.

South Korean officials have said after the North's sixth nuclear test on Sept. 3, which it said was of an advanced hydrogen bomb, that it could launch another intercontinental ballistic missile in defiance of international pressure.

The United States wants the Security Council to impose an oil embargo on the North, halt its key export of textiles and subject leader Kim Jong Un to financial and travel ban, according to a draft resolution seen by Reuters.

The North's Foreign Ministry spokesman said the United States was "going frantic" to manipulate the Security Council over Pyongyang's nuclear test, which it said was part of "legitimate self-defensive measures."

"In case the U.S. eventually does rig up the illegal and unlawful 'resolution' on harsher sanctions, the DPRK shall make absolutely sure that the U.S. pays due price," the spokesman said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.

DPRK is short for the North's formal name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

"The world will witness how the DPRK tames the U.S. gangsters by taking a series of actions tougher than they have ever envisaged," the unnamed spokesman said.

"The DPRK has developed and perfected the super-powerful thermo-nuclear weapon as a means to deter the ever-increasing hostile moves and nuclear threat of the U.S. and defuse the danger of nuclear war looming over the Korean peninsula and the region."

There was no independent verification of the North's claim to have conducted a hydrogen bomb test, but some experts said there was enough strong evidence to suggest Pyongyang had either developed a hydrogen bomb or was getting close.

KCNA said on Sunday that Kim threw a banquet to laud the scientists and top military and party officials who contributed to the nuclear bomb test, topped with an art performance and a photo session with the leader himself.

(Reporting by Jack Kim; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-11

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The North's Foreign Ministry spokesman said the United States was "going frantic" to manipulate the Security Council over Pyongyang's nuclear test, which it said was part of "legitimate self-defensive measures."

Nuclear weapons are not defensive. How about spend some of that money going towards nuclear weapons for feeding your people, Mr. Kim?

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I think the US will call that bluff,

I think the bluffing is over.  Kim is being forced to be aggressive. Soon he will have no choice but to send an armed missiles. It has passed the point of settling any other way. Pass Us governments did not deal with it just shrugged it off and now they have a major problem. Kim is in the position now of put up or shut up  and being Asian he will put up rather than lose face.and he wants his legacy of bombing the US also.

14 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I think the bluffing is over.  Kim is being forced to be aggressive. Soon he will have no choice but to send an armed missiles. It has passed the point of settling any other way. Pass Us governments did not deal with it just shrugged it off and now they have a major problem. Kim is in the position now of put up or shut up  and being Asian he will put up rather than lose face.and he wants his legacy of bombing the US also.

I still think most of this 'crisis' is nothing more than media clickbait. Neither of the two main protagonists have anything to gain by going at it and everything to lose. I for one certainly do not lose sleep over it.

7 minutes ago, baboon said:

I still think most of this 'crisis' is nothing more than media clickbait. Neither of the two main protagonists have anything to gain by going at it and everything to lose. I for one certainly do not lose sleep over it.

Your opinion is in the minority.  A majority of the world thinks North Korea is the protagonist.  As indicated by the entire UNSC voting for sanctions.  And most world leaders agreeing with them.  And hardly clickbait.

30 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

If you are correct that will certainly make things easy for the war machine. No need to drum up consent after that. Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Your opinion is in the minority.  A majority of the world thinks North Korea is the protagonist.  As indicated by the entire UNSC voting for sanctions.  And most world leaders agreeing with them.  And hardly clickbait.

Maybe a minority pov, but the majority is not always right.

New sanctions will not be imposed BTW, no way Russia and China will accept that.

Time to get personal:

Mr. Kim. if you hurt the US, or our allies, we will hold you personally responsible. We will hunt you down and kill you like a mad dog, no matter how long it takes. You will be a fugitive and never, ever safe anywhere. Your life of luxury and comfort will be over. We have done it before and can do it again, we are a patient nation. Your choice.

48 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Perhaps the "Fat Boy" should take a minute and contemplate Hirohito's legacy.  

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe a minority pov, but the majority is not always right.

New sanctions will not be imposed BTW, no way Russia and China will accept that.

Agreed, no new sanctions.  But the previous ones are in place. Along with those done by Japan on their own.  And perhaps new ones by the US.

No easy answers here.  Kim's made sure of that.

56 minutes ago, baboon said:

Well maybe lovelomsak has a point. If you thought that Thais don't like to lose face well NK people are much worse. Their society is built upon and reflected in the language, 'honorific' hierarchy. I too think that NK is now at a crossroads and will soon have to choose.

8 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Well maybe lovelomsak has a point. If you thought that Thais don't like to lose face well NK people are much worse. Their society is built upon and reflected in the language, 'honorific' hierarchy. I too think that NK is now at a crossroads and will soon have to choose.

Koreans similar to Thais tend to stick within their borders and argue between one another about face. International losses of face tend to be confined to scathing newspaper articles and protests outside Embassies. I doubt that they would be willing to comit national suicide against far more powerful adverseries in order to defend face.

I am not deriding the points you and lovelomsak are making, however. I just do not think there is anywhere near as much to worry about as the sensationalist headlines would have us believe. 

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Time to get personal:

Mr. Kim. if you hurt the US, or our allies, we will hold you personally responsible. We will hunt you down and kill you like a mad dog, no matter how long it takes. You will be a fugitive and never, ever safe anywhere. Your life of luxury and comfort will be over. We have done it before and can do it again, we are a patient nation. Your choice.

It seems impossible Kim did not understand that already, by himself! Or maybe he is really insane (mentally ill)

"The world will witness how the DPRK tames the U.S. gangsters by taking a series of actions tougher than they have ever envisaged," the unnamed spokesman said.

the fat scumbags's way  of "fire and fury"

It shows he is getting nervous about the sanctions - meaning they might be not as useless as I thought

2 hours ago, baboon said:

It's good that you can be so complacent about a psycho like Kim.  The last thing any sane world leader wants is to touch off a nuclear exchange, but Kim has proven repeatedly that he just doesn't belong to that group.  And he IS in a corner.  He's bet everything on his nuclear program, and THAAD just deflates that whole effort leaving Kim in a fairly desperate position with a starving population of 25 million and no real prospect for his delusion of conquering the peninsula.  He's left himself no way out and has nothing but humiliation to look forward to.  That sounds awfully dangerous to me, but maybe someone with experience in treating homicidal maniacs and mass murderers can find some dim ray of hope for us...

Perhaps the "Fat Boy" should take a minute and contemplate Hirohito's legacy.  

He should. Even though Emperor Hirohito was as guilty of war crimes as his generals he was repackaged by the US to serve as unifying figurehead for Japan. A harmless victim who was "manipulated" by The Militarists. All rubbish but it served US interests of the time.

If Kim agreed to disarm and come to negotiations to stop this pointless anachronism conflict he would surely get the Nobel Peace prize while keeping his billions and privilege despite his multiple crimes and starving his people

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Koreans similar to Thais tend to stick within their borders and argue between one another about face. International losses of face tend to be confined to scathing newspaper articles and protests outside Embassies. I doubt that they would be willing to comit national suicide against far more powerful adverseries in order to defend face.

I am not deriding the points you and lovelomsak are making, however. I just do not think there is anywhere near as much to worry about as the sensationalist headlines would have us believe. 

I truly hope that you are right.

57 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

It's good that you can be so complacent about a psycho like Kim.  The last thing any sane world leader wants is to touch off a nuclear exchange, but Kim has proven repeatedly that he just doesn't belong to that group.  And he IS in a corner.  He's bet everything on his nuclear program, and THAAD just deflates that whole effort leaving Kim in a fairly desperate position with a starving population of 25 million and no real prospect for his delusion of conquering the peninsula.  He's left himself no way out and has nothing but humiliation to look forward to.  That sounds awfully dangerous to me, but maybe someone with experience in treating homicidal maniacs and mass murderers can find some dim ray of hope for us...

Yawn.....Yes we know same story repeated everyday by the news.  

14 minutes ago, Roger Harris said:

I believe the fat boy will not push the button. He has no more than a few nuclear bombs. Never proved he can mount one on a missile and detonate at a certain time. Russia and China are concerned as they border with NK. He knows any false move, The US will wipe him and his so called army out.

So you don't believe that Mr Tangerine Man will initiate a first strike?

4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

He is not "forced", and he does have a choice.

2 hours ago, baboon said:

North Koreans, if anyone asked them, may have an opinion regarding "national suicide". They are not calling the shots, though. Kim does.

And yes, while we may see yet another step or two of escalation (including an armed, but not nuclear, North Korean missile test), it is more likely that even this round will end pretty much as previous instances did. The trouble is that with each new cycle the stakes are up. And then there's that possibility of someone miscalculating, misreading the situation and making a bad decision.

3 hours ago, baboon said:

So speaks the war at any price contingent, Ladies and Gentlemen.

I think the "war at any price contingent", would be a very very small gathering, and to be honest, I really don't see anyone here espousing that sentiment. (Maybe some saber rattling, but that's it)

as for nothing to gain... well... the US would gain if it contained a war within the Korean peninsular, vs it reaching US soil, and to do this, they need to act first... all that is kind of obvious, and it will minimize the effect on most of the rest of the world... which should support Uncle Sam. ( bearing in mind, that by supporting, one can more easily act from within the system to effect a balanced outcome, vs screaming from the sidelines)

those effected collaterally, are those who should be most proactive in defusing the situation, by useing alternative means, as the current ones don't seem to be working (ie... calling for diplomatic negotiations)

the effect of a NK first strike will be financially crippling to world markets... to superannuation funds... to global trade... and it must not be allowed to happen, regardless of who is right or wrong (just the perceived threat is bad enough), and a solution needs to be aggressively pursued, whilst there is still time.

this POV, does not make me a "war at any price" advocate, nor does it make me a saber rattler, but rather, I think, someone simply concerned about international peace (and my own future on this planet)

35 minutes ago, baboon said:

So you don't believe that Mr Tangerine Man will initiate a first strike?

Maybe he wants to, but I believe he will be 'overruled' by cooler heads. But I think this is at the moment a far greater risk than Kim striking first.

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

I think the "war at any price contingent", would be a very very small gathering, and to be honest, I really don't see anyone here espousing that sentiment. (Maybe some saber rattling, but that's it)

as for nothing to gain... well... the US would gain if it contained a war within the Korean peninsular, vs it reaching US soil, and to do this, they need to act first... all that is kind of obvious, and it will minimize the effect on most of the rest of the world... which should support Uncle Sam. ( bearing in mind, that by supporting, one can more easily act from within the system to effect a balanced outcome, vs screaming from the sidelines)

those effected collaterally, are those who should be most proactive in defusing the situation, by useing alternative means, as the current ones don't seem to be working (ie... calling for diplomatic negotiations)

the effect of a NK first strike will be financially crippling to world markets... to superannuation funds... to global trade... and it must not be allowed to happen, regardless of who is right or wrong (just the perceived threat is bad enough), and a solution needs to be aggressively pursued, whilst there is still time.

this POV, does not make me a "war at any price" advocate, nor does it make me a saber rattler, but rather, I think, someone simply concerned about international peace (and my own future on this planet)

How can a DPRK first strike on the US possibly make any kind of sense? Leave out the usual 'But everyone knows they are mad' canards. What would they hope to accomplish by having themselves wiped out?

As for "those effected collaterally, are those who should be most proactive in defusing the situation, by useing alternative means, as the current ones don't seem to be working (ie... calling for diplomatic negotiations)" That is just a fancy way of saying 'Anyone killed should have worked harder to prevent war, so it is their own tough sh!t if they die'.

Mind you it isn't going to happen anyway in all likelihood, so the conversation is academic.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe he wants to, but I believe he will be 'overruled' by cooler heads. But I think this is at the moment a far greater risk than Kim striking first.

Oh boy... Are you about to take some flak for that statement...!