Ford Ranger Raptor Version 2018

BBJ

SHANGHAI, China, 7 September 2017 – Ford Motor Company today announced that the hugely popular Ford Ranger pickup truck will be available in an off-road performance variant for the first time. Arriving in Asia Pacific in 2018, the purpose-built, desert-racing inspired pickup truck joins the Ford Performance family, carrying the name ‘Ford Ranger Raptor’.

Designed and engineered to deliver an adrenaline pumping experience, Ford Ranger Raptor sports a head-turning exterior look that exudes toughness as well as a level of capability and off-road performance never before seen in the mid-size pickup truck segment.

Sharing the same nomenclature as the F-150 Raptor, the world’s most extreme production truck, Ford Ranger Raptor will create a class of its own among off-road performance vehicles.

Building on the success of the class-leading Ford Ranger, the best-selling pickup truck in a number of markets across Asia Pacific, Ford Ranger Raptor brings the thrilling off-road performance capabilities of the ‘Raptor’ to the Ranger for the first time ever. With its bold appearance and extreme, off-road performance features, Ford Ranger Raptor represents a new and distinctive breed of truck.

“Combining the Raptor’s advanced off-road capabilities with the versatility of the Ranger is a significant accomplishment for Ford’s world-class engineering and design teams,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer, Ford Performance.

Ford Ranger Raptor joins F-150 Raptor to advance the globally renowned Ford Performance DNA, complementing the on-road high performance lineup of Ford GT, Ford Mustang Shelby, Focus RS and Focus ST.

Ford Ranger Raptor 1.jpg

Ford Ranger Raptor 3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Thinking, 'special' colour, stuck on plastic bits and a badge..  Extra performance from GT stripe on the hood...

Well if it's anything like my Africa Twin, it'll still need modifying for proper off road!

1 minute ago, BBJ said:

Well if it's anything like my Africa Twin, it'll still need modifying for proper off road!

Yes it's a shame. I'd welcome any attempt by car manufacturers to inject some fun into the bland products available in Thailand.  Bike choice here has definitely improved but cars are just mainstream boxes. TRD is a joke, stickers and lowering springs if you are lucky. Nissan has nothing unless you have GT-R money. Mazda's new MX-5 is lovely but under powered, auto and too pricey. Subaru BRZ same as Mazda but at least a manual available. Honda has an ugly saloon with a stolen ford badge. Ford doesn't offer any of its RS or ST models.  Not very encouraging.

Maybe the Raptor is the start of something ?

26 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Thinking, 'special' colour, stuck on plastic bits and a badge..  Extra performance from GT stripe on the hood...

The colour scheme in the photo is pretty much the norm for most car manufacturers when they develop a new model and road test it. It is one method used to confuse motoring journalists but it doesn't work that well. Manufacturers often stick on fibreglass bits in an attempt to disguise the shape.

Edited by billd766
bad spelling

Just now, billd766 said:

The colour scheme in the photo is pretty much the norm for most car manufacturers when they develop a new model and road test it. It is one method used to confuse motoring journalists but it doesn't work that well. Manufacturers often stick on fibreglass bits in an attemp to disguise the shape.

I meant a specific colour only available to the Raptor model.. Not the pre-production camouflage wrap lol...

1 minute ago, wow64 said:

Would be good if they disclosed the engine type

Good point. The 3.2 is getting a bit old and may not take too kindly to having to run on this new Euro 4/6 ? diesel. The 2.2 is good but , for some , a little weak.  A new engine design must be close.

Will be good if they put the twin turbo diesel in from the bigger raptor.. 

Got both rangers 3.2 and 2.2 both engines are not really performance engines.. the little 2.2 actually feels pockier in the city.. which is weird. 

Edited by wow64

What makes a Raptor is the extra suspension travel, doable with a Ranger AND boatloads of horsepower, 

Interesting to see how they manage that, or will it be a some have said, some fancy stickers and paint job

Will keep an eye out, I'm due for a tradein/up next year

10 hours ago, wow64 said:

Will be good if they put the twin turbo diesel in from the bigger raptor.. 

Got both rangers 3.2 and 2.2 both engines are not really performance engines.. the little 2.2 actually feels pockier in the city.. which is weird. 

Does it have a lower rear end ratio...

17 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Sounds more like a petrol than diesel to me.

I doubt it'd be sold in Thailand though - not allowed by the fun police.

Toyota TuRD would have to seriously up their game again. Maybe stick even more ugly plastic on the Revo?

It was all the ugly plastic parts manufactured in India that held up the delivery of the wildtrack when it first came out in 2012

17 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Sounds more like a petrol than diesel to me.

I doubt it'd be sold in Thailand though - not allowed by the fun police.

Toyota TuRD would have to seriously up their game again. Maybe stick even more ugly plastic on the Revo?

Toyota can provide what a particular countries market/restraints allow..Just look at the choice of Toyota pickups in the USA...Would just love their 5.7 V8 with 380hp under the hood...:stoner:

40 minutes ago, transam said:

Toyota can provide what a particular countries market/restraints allow..Just look at the choice of Toyota pickups in the USA...Would just love their 5.7 V8 with 380hp under the hood...:stoner:

Why would you love a pickup with a 5.7 V8 with 380 hp under the bonnet, do you intend to tow a cruise liner with it or something similar

All pickups sold here have plenty of power to cruise above the speed limit and carry any load you put in them easily, and not guzzle fuel excessively :post-4641-1156694572: 

7 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Why would you love a pickup with a 5.7 V8 with 380 hp under the bonnet, do you intend to tow a cruise liner with it or something similar

All pickups sold here have plenty of power to cruise above the speed limit and carry any load you put in them easily, and not guzzle fuel excessively :post-4641-1156694572: 

Why, because I am a V8 nut, l would thoroughly enjoy the stop light drags....:stoner:

I even put a 5.8 V8 in a VW camper for my neighbour, what fun that was...:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Why, because I am a V8 nut, l would thoroughly enjoy the stop light drags....:stoner:

I even put a 5.8 V8 in a VW camper for my neighbour, what fun that was...:thumbsup:

And how did you manage that as they have a rear mounted engine and are rear wheel drive, or at least all the ones i have seen are :shock1:

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

And how did you manage that as they have a rear mounted engine and are rear wheel drive, or at least all the ones i have seen are :shock1:

Rear wheel drive, 2ltr Audi petrol up front from factory....:stoner:.....Fitted 5.8 Chevy V8 with auto box too, similar too this..

camper.jpg.1cfc85c8a7b89792b1ef1eae05366386.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 1:22 PM, wow64 said:

No it doesn't all the same running gear.. both 4x4 wiltraks 

Gearing's different between a 2.2 and a 3.2 on the (original) PX Ranger. At low speeds, the 2.2 is a lower-revving versus the 3.2. Maybe they changed things in the PX2?

On 9/14/2017 at 2:19 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Cant see a Raprtor comeing here.! Their V6 450 bhp in basic trim.Or perhaps they will do a Wannabe version with a weedwacer diesel.They looked nice in USA.

It's a "Ranger Raptor".... whatever that is. Probably the wannabe version that you mention.

Already have 'real' Raptors in Udon Thani... every weekend from Laos.