Ford Ranger Raptor Version 2018

BBJ

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Thought the 2.2 would be higher revving....

The 2.2 seemed better geared at the lower end, say 1 through 3 for tootling around town. The higher end gearing isn't much different. Maybe something to do with the low-end torque of the quieter running 4 cylinder mill in the 2.2 versus the clattery 5 cylinder on the 3.2? Even the non-technical Mrs Tam noticed the difference at the time. The 2.2 would definitely up-shift sooner than the 3.2.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The 2.2 seemed better geared at the lower end, say 1 through 3 for tootling around town. The higher end gearing isn't much different. Maybe something to do with the low-end torque of the quieter running 4 cylinder mill in the 2.2 versus the clattery 5 cylinder on the 3.2? Even the non-technical Mrs Tam noticed the difference at the time. The 2.2 would definitely up-shift sooner than the 3.2.

Computer....?

2 minutes ago, wow64 said:

Here is a link with the gearing.. 

my understand in the autos is it's the same.. 

x7kvyti3qaib9jrl9r8n.pdf

Yep, auto box and rear end ratios are the same, so rpm will be the same unless converter stall is different...Doubt it though...Because a low torque motor may be given a higher rpm stall to use it's torque band...

59 minutes ago, transam said:

Could be, but if it is the reason, then the box is crap...

It is crap.. the Mazdas and Fords chew threw them.. mate back home showed me a sand castle of gearboxes they had changed. 

4 hours ago, wow64 said:

It is crap.. the Mazdas and Fords chew threw them.. mate back home showed me a sand castle of gearboxes they had changed. 

Beyond the few that have caused grief, I haven't read about any mountains of dead manual or auto transmission in any Ranger forums, Thai, Australian or the UK.

Is your mate in South Africa?

Maybe low-end torque in the 3.2 is the key. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Beyond the few that have caused grief, I haven't read about any mountains of dead manual or auto transmission in any Ranger forums, Thai, Australian or the UK.

Is your mate in South Africa?

Maybe low-end torque in the 3.2 is the key. 

He works at a Mazda one the biggest ones.. 

Affects both Ford and Mazda he said but didnt stop me getting 2 rangers..

Was the early ones and fixed with a software update he said.. 

Oh and another nice treat they automatically did the update when people brought their cars in for a service.. he said ppl were complaining about the sudden lose of power people could feel.

Edited by wow64

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2017 at 8:32 AM, transam said:

Toyota can provide what a particular countries market/restraints allow..Just look at the choice of Toyota pickups in the USA...Would just love their 5.7 V8 with 380hp under the hood...:stoner:

I reckon a 5.7L V8 with only 380hp is a bit of a waste when you consider you can get almost 2x the hp from a V6 that's only 60% the size. But a V8 rumble does sound great! :wink:

Edited by ChiangmaiRob

On 9/11/2017 at 11:31 AM, BBJ said:

Well if it's anything like my Africa Twin, it'll still need modifying for proper off road!

Yes this is true because they have to be built to go to yhe grocery store.

People would complain about shifting rough ride ect   but it is an awesome platform to start

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2017 at 7:01 AM, JoeW said:

The long-awaited panther engines?

World release date is the 7th February..in Thailand. Very good chance for a 2.0 215hp panther engine (though it runs lower HP in some vehicles overseas). Wonder how close it will come to this rendering? Any bets on the price? 1.4 - 1.5M baht?

Dtbezn3nNUxytg04OKZokhwolE3VlHzEKOa8nkC5

new-2018-Ford-Ranger-Raptor.jpg

Edited by DavisH