Russian tourist falls to her death after night out at Walking Street

webfact

13 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not naming the hotel we are unable to comment as to the height of the balcony railings, nor is there any pressure on the hotel to alter them if indeed they are on the low side. I stayed in a Pattaya hotel recently up high and never even went out onto the balcony.....  always feel uncomfortable there.

good lord,  its a balcony.  so much fear on thaivisa,  take a look at the thread about the round the world cyclist to see how very shrill and afraid the populace here is.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, HooHaa said:

good lord,  its a balcony.  so much fear on thaivisa,  take a look at the thread about the round the world cyclist to see how very shrill and afraid the populace here is.

If I have a dislike or fear of heights give me permission to stay off the balcony.

They are a potential danger if the rails are low,

On 11/09/2017 at 5:17 PM, cookieqw said:

only balcony on this purple hotel is on 8th (top) floor, stayed many times. and above waist height, so unless this was the russian with the exceedingly long legs not likely to fall

That is good news but in 30 years in Thailand I've never seen high guard rails.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:10 AM, observer90210 said:

IMHO I am tempted to say that the heigh of the railings cater the Thai anatomy and height, and are maybe not adapted to western anatomy and taller builds as much for men as for western females.

Yes, you are correct.  We actually have to pick up those short people and throw tem over the rail.

On 9/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, Maggusoil said:

Balconies with Dwarf proof height of the railing. With glass windows with warning signs in red and yellow on them?              Perhaps its because there is no Thai Visa Forum in other countries but it seems to me, anecdotally at least, there are a very high proportion of these deaths in for example Pattya and say, Bangkok.     Is this a Thai thing? Or is it common elsewhere? Do any of you balcony experts know the answer to this?

This jumping from balconies is certainly a Thai thing, I seldom if ever heard of jumping from balconies in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Philippines......may be once in a long long time you read in newspaper in Singapore or Indonesia, not a weekly or monthly sort of thing like in thailand. Something is not right here. 

On 9/18/2017 at 11:10 PM, madusa said:

This jumping from balconies is certainly a Thai thing, I seldom if ever heard of jumping from balconies in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Philippines......may be once in a long long time you read in newspaper in Singapore or Indonesia, not a weekly or monthly sort of thing like in thailand. Something is not right here. 

I was pushed. Fortunately for me, not over a balcony, however if there had been one available and i wasn't at least, in the moment and have maintained some awareness through tai chi and so forth, I am sure she would have pushed me. I got out before they put a bullet in me.

Indelicate this is.

I am still alive for our daughter, when things calm down and we become rational again. Its happening, but consequences and karma? I can't understand why the Thais don't think about this more often.