Requesting copy of patient records at Mahidol Dental Clinic in Bangkok

smo

I recently started going to this clinic for easy jobs such as cleaning, fillings, etc. For the heavy duty ones, such as crowns and beyond, I turn to my longtime dentist at Mission Hospital. He's now putting crowns on a couple of my teeth. And he wants a copy of my dental records from Mahidol.

I went there, put in an application (as required) to get my records, and was told the waiting time is between 2 weeks and a month. Not only does it seem like a long time, but also like the copies need to be reviewed and signed off by some bigwig before the records department could release it. After 2 weeks I had a thai friend call and check for me. Not yet was the answer. Yesterday, Sep 11 ( I applied for it on Aug 15) I went there in person and asked for it. The lady at the front counter looked up what was there to pick up, not mine. So she called up the records room and was told that mine will be ready before next Monday and they will call me.

All this transpired in Thai, and mine was not so good so I couldn't "raise hell" with these soft spoken female office workers who speak the usual English of "please wait a moment." I'm sure a place as big at Mahidol must have some sort of International customer services. What should I be asking for from the front desk to get to this international "counter"? And is the 2 week - 1 month time reasonable to get a copy of patient records? Or can my dentist at Mission use some sort of inter-clinic route to make the request directly himself?

Would like to hear from TVF members who have gone through this maneouver before...

Thank you in advance for the input/guidance.

Government hospitals such as this do not usually have any sort of International customer service (nor any other type of customer service!).

Obviously this is a ridiculous amount of time to wait. Having your dentist call might help IF he or you can locate a number that someone answers. (often a problem with govt hospitals).

Otherwise best I can suggest is to make a polite pest of yourself, showing up daily, smiling but pressing your case. Also - go directly yourself to the medical records room.  Bring a Thai speaker along.

500 bhatt, might oil the wheels, at the records office

In fairness at the hospital I go to government, the records bit leaves a lot to be desired and is very time consuming, however there are many smiling faces just a question of gentle persuasion

Thank you Sheryl and al007 very much for your advice. I forgot that Mahidol is  government run which explains while they are rather inert (read lacking) in the customer service area - maybe CS is simply not part of their infra-structure?

I'm going to tell my dentist at Mission of my attempts to get the records at Mahidol and see if he could help. Too much work for me to go hanging around at the records office and practically not much dental work has been done on me there (a cleaning, a filling and a temporary crown) so even if the records are not being produced,  I feel he can still go on without. When I came back from my home visit in the US last year, I had lot more work done on me there and the Mission dentist did not ask for any records.

Thanks again for your guidance/input, much appreciated.

54 minutes ago, smo said:

Thank you Sheryl and al007 very much for your advice.

Listen sir, I am an old established Englishman, most Americans do not understand my humor or my thinking

I have two lots of cancer am facing vey major surgery soon

Be grateful be happy and be lucky a few missing dental records are not life threatening

I am currently planning my last party before surgery, limited to eight people, and it will be a good bash, the prospective surgeon is not on the list, but lovely man

I am also writing my living will. do I allow two or three attempts to restart heart if it stops, no machines to keep me alive

Stay positive Sir and enjoy

I am also a very lucky man  and fortunate man

God Bless

Had no trouble getting records from either my local government hospital or from hospitals in Bangkok since I have worked / lived here.     Have had problems trying to get UK files whilst there unless asked for on the day of visit.

Best to ask for copy on the particular day that you attend for that day, you may have to pay.

You can always ask the doctor for a brief report, if this suffices.

Records can be useful, e.g. specific blood testing results or if you are going to another country for a while.  

Some hospitals here provide a CD of Cat scans etc.

Local hospitals may take time to 'Find' your file, just be a patient patient.

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Some hospitals here provide a CD of Cat scans etc.

Local hospitals may take time to 'Find' your file, just be a patient patient.

I always ask and get copies of CAT Scans, MRI,s Colonoscopies,(often have to order and wait three days) and file notes, my own file is pretty thick six plus scans plus plus, this worked in India as well, again I have copies, you can then copy to memory stick, and also FOC store on google drive and authorise specific people to have access, on a global basis

This provides both history and saves expense of duplication

This helps second opinions especially on Global basis on a global basis quickly

When I am in Bangkok for say a week of appointments at Chulalongkorn, I keep my file from the first to last appointment, and take it back to the hotel with me, I also ensure I have copies of everything on there, this saves it being lost in the pile of filing awaiting to be done, and increasing waiting time