The 'new normal' in bottled beverages?

connda

I first noticed this with Pepsi products in bottles.  A 'full' bottle would be 18 THB but you could buy a 4/5 full bottle for 15 THB.  
Now I've started to notice that many bottled products are only 4/5 full if that.  A lot of empty plastic.  Plastic must cost less than whatever they put in the bottles.  I find this bothersome as they are using excessive packaging to shave fractions of baht to pad their profits.  Ecologically it's an unsound practice and the practice of putting less product in a package in order to make more profit seems - unethical.  
Personally, I simply no longer buy the products of companies that engage in this practice.  Just raise the price of the product instead of creating tons of unnecessary packaging which becomes more garbage to fill the already full landfills in order to 'fool' consumers into believing they are getting something they aren't.  Or make the bottles smaller and keep the same price.  Why create excessive waste?
Anyone else doing the same?

Edited by connda

I worked in a soft drinks laboratory for a long time. What happened several times would be that a 'run' would produce a lot of partly filled bottles either due to a fault occurring near the end of the 'run' and repair would be done afterwards; or a new machine might deliberately produce 'short filled' so that adjustment of the filling tubes would be gradual. Management would then authorize short fills to be sold at less cost. This tactic was often used as a 'break even' measure rather than a total loss. 

Edited by TKDfella
word change

Their is also a situation known as "Sizeflation" whereby the cost of ingredients or looming taxes will increase the cost of the finished product, so to overcome this the manufacturer reduces the size of the product but maintaining the same or similar price, there are tax increases in Thailand looming for sugary drinks. 

See below.

nestle.jpg

Edited by Golden Triangle

10 hours ago, connda said:

A 'full' bottle would be 18 THB but you could buy a 4/5 full bottle for 15 THB.  

Big C prices for the 2 "smaller bottles" are 13 baht and 16 baht - some people want the smaller bottle as they say they do not drink enough even though the 16 baht bottle works out cheaper for the quantity - this is an empirical observation :saai:

I  note Tesco Lotus do not stock the lesser quantity size........

My guess would be it is cheaper to have one bottle/mould and fill at different levels and label separately then 2 different bottles for the volume they produce.

18 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Never buy fizzy crap drinks anyway but what you need to look at is what the volume of drink is labelled on the bottle. Not what you percive it to be.

Plastic can be recycled here we do with bottles/plastic and cardboard.

recycling uses energy too.

14 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

there are tax increases in Thailand looming for sugary drinks.

About time too. Sugar consumption in Thailand must be huge per capita. Almost every Thai friend has or their partner has diabetes. I've watched people at noodle stalls put 3 or 4 big spoons of sugar into their dish. Yuck. They are addicted to the stuff. I've learnt to say "mai sai namtaan" when ordering.

With kids getting fatter and fatter and addicted to junk foods, "Pa Waan", diabetes, will reach epidemic proportions here unless something is done. Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are said by some not to be much better. Best is to just kick the SWEET habit.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Were does that come into it! 

OP stated that bottles were oversized. You sort of stated it doesn't matter because bottles can be recycled. Recycling uses energy. Oversized bottles would use more energy to recycle. Get it.

2 minutes ago, Keesters said:

OP stated that bottles were oversized. You sort of stated it doesn't matter because bottles can be recycled. Recycling uses energy. Oversized bottles would use more energy to recycle. Get it.

No he said more in land fill i pointed out you can recycle not land fill get it!

Edited by jeab1980

2 minutes ago, Keesters said:

But it's still unnecessary packaging that could be recycled using more energy than economical packaging.

If you say so i really dont care. This isnt about energy and i want to save mine so bye.

14 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

If you say so i really dont care. This isnt about energy and i want to save mine so bye.

It stands to reason more recycling needs more energy.  If you really didn't care why all the posts. You trolling perhaps.

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

It stands to reason more recycling needs more energy.  If you really didn't care why all the posts. You trolling perhaps.

I post once to say recycle. You wrongly quote what i said then accuse me of posting to much man you need real help. LOS isnt the place for you honestly. You would be more at home in Norway they like Trolls.

Edited by jeab1980