Junta may ban red-shirt media conference on crackdown

webfact

Junta may ban red-shirt media conference on crackdown

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A press conference due to be held by the red-shirt umbrella group United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) on its bid to seek justice for the 99 people killed in the 2010 crackdown might be banned if it involved politics, a junta spokesman said on Wednesday.

The UDD planned the event after the Supreme Court last month upheld an appeal, dismissing the criminal case against former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his deputy Suthep Thaugsuban related to the dispersal of the red-shirt protesters seven years ago, on the grounds that it was not within their jurisdiction.

The case should have been handled rather by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Supreme Court for Political Office Holders, the court said.

But since the NACC had dismissed this case once already in 2015, it was unclear whether it could be revived now.

The UDD is looking to lodge a petition with the agency to bring Abhisit and Suthep back to court. The red-shirts have threatened to gather one million signatures to sue the NACC for malfeasance if it did not take up the case.

The press conference on the update of the issue has been planned for Thursday at Imperial World Lat Phrao, but Colonel Piyapong Klinpan, a spokesman of National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), said it might not be allowed due to the ban on political activities. He noted the need for order given that there were several national ceremonies to be held this year, an apparent reference to the Royal cremation next month.

If the time came and the country was in order, the NCPO would consider relaxing its controls, Piyapong said.

However, if the UDD insisted its conference wasn’t political, the NCPO would still have to deploy troops and police to help provide security and keep order, the spokesman said.

Piyapong said the UDD should be “careful” if it planned any activities that would involve politics.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30326590

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-13

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The UDD is looking to lodge a petition with the agency to bring Abhisit and Suthep back to court. The red-shirts have threatened to gather one million signatures to sue the NACC for malfeasance if it did not take up the case.

If there is legal justification to prosecute these two men, is it not important to make them accountable ?  Kept hearing that "no one is above the law".  Pretty sure what the junta fears most are the 1 million legitimate signatures .  It would carry much more weight than another popularity poll. 

The Red Shirts are not innocent, so why should they get any favors?

Blood on a lot of hands in Thailand and 2 pairs of bloody hands fled the

country before  they could be sent to jail, but since they were billionaires they

will not be brought back to Thailand to face justice and jail time.

I guess I am not and have never been a red shirt supporter.  I also do not support

ISIL or any other group of thugs and terrorists.

Geezer

Why aren't the UDD in court for the multiple charges arising from their actions in 2010? Prosecution was delayed because many of them were illegally appointed as MPs in the Yingluk government, but that protection no longer exists and prosecution of these mercenary agitators is LONG overdue.

About the red lie that "we did nothing wrong" is exposed once and for all, and the emphasis for responsibility for the deaths placed squarely where it belongs, on those who incited violence and hatred, and brought their gunmen with them to accelerate it.

What the grassroots Red shirt supporters should be asking is why were their leaders prepared to give amnesties to Abhisit and Suthep in exchange for Thaksin's one?  Not one MP from the Reds voted against the bill. Shows exactly what their true feelings are, throwing the supporters under the bus that brings Thaksin home.

3 hours ago, ballpoint said:

What the grassroots Red shirt supporters should be asking is why were their leaders prepared to give amnesties to Abhisit and Suthep in exchange for Thaksin's one?  Not one MP from the Reds voted against the bill. Shows exactly what their true feelings are, throwing the supporters under the bus that brings Thaksin home.

Anyone who believes the UDD and it's non democratic appointed leaders are remotely interested in justice, of any kind, are living in cloud cuckoo land.

They saw these charges as a bargaining chip to try and pressure Abhisit and Suthep to support, or at least not oppose, their attempted whitewash the boss and bring him home a free man above the law. Remember they were also granting themselves a nice amnesty too, which would have been very convenient for some.

Now they want to rekindle it to stir up the shit.

6 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The Red Shirts are not innocent, so why should they get any favors?

Blood on a lot of hands in Thailand and 2 pairs of bloody hands fled the

country before  they could be sent to jail, but since they were billionaires they

will not be brought back to Thailand to face justice and jail time.

I guess I am not and have never been a red shirt supporter.  I also do not support

ISIL or any other group of thugs and terrorists.

Geezer

But you support the thugs and terrorists who oppose democracy and you support the concept of silencing any opposition to a one party state !

5 hours ago, halloween said:

Why aren't the UDD in court for the multiple charges arising from their actions in 2010? Prosecution was delayed because many of them were illegally appointed as MPs in the Yingluk government, but that protection no longer exists and prosecution of these mercenary agitators is LONG overdue.

About the red lie that "we did nothing wrong" is exposed once and for all, and the emphasis for responsibility for the deaths placed squarely where it belongs, on those who incited violence and hatred, and brought their gunmen with them to accelerate it.

As always, my answer to you is how can the corrupt possibly prosecute the corrupt in any credible way. And as always, my question to you is always the same but you always refuse to even acknowledge because you know even attempting to answer it would not be justifiable: Where did Prayut and his coterie get all that money?  You can not get that rich of an army salary.  And I know full well that once again you will address that question because you can't and you know you can't.  But keep cheering on the junta... I would assume you have little else to do.

Just now, stephen tracy said:

As always, my answer to you is how can the corrupt possibly prosecute the corrupt in any credible way. And as always, my question to you is always the same but you always refuse to even acknowledge because you know even attempting to answer it would not be justifiable: Where did Prayut and his coterie get all that money?  You can not get that rich of an army salary.  And I know full well that once again you will address that question because you can't and you know you can't.  But keep cheering on the junta... I would assume you have little else to do.

Yes you keep trying the same old diversionary BS, and I will tell you the same thing again - I just don't care. If we had to wait for someone squeaky clean before justice was applied to anyone, it would never happen.

Meanwhile I ask again, when are these mercenary thugs going to face the court for inciting violence, arson and murder? what is your answer to that?

5 minutes ago, halloween said:

Yes you keep trying the same old diversionary BS, and I will tell you the same thing again - I just don't care. If we had to wait for someone squeaky clean before justice was applied to anyone, it would never happen.

Meanwhile I ask again, when are these mercenary thugs going to face the court for inciting violence, arson and murder? what is your answer to that?

Address the question asked or as usual don't answer it all.  Simple question.  How did the junta get so rich?  And how does the prosecution of the corrupt by the corrupt have an credibility.  You can't answer that can you?  The brain simply shuts down when faced with the boiled frog reality that is happening right now in this country. And why has Prayut effectively made it illegal to question how he accrued his wealth.  Answer the question.

Edited by stephen tracy

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

Address the question asked or as usual don't answer it all.  Simple question.  How did the junta get so rich?  And how does the prosecution of the corrupt by the corrupt have an credibility.  You can't answer that can you?  The brain simply shuts down when faced with the boiled frog reality that is happening right now in this country. 

You are obviously speaking for yourself. Others who are still thinking see the good the junta are doing the country, while you can only allude to past corruption. Do you have any evidence of corruption while in government, because there is plenty to indicate corruption was the sole reason for Yingluk and co to take office.

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

You are obviously speaking for yourself. Others who are still thinking see the good the junta are doing the country, while you can only allude to past corruption. Do you have any evidence of corruption while in government, because there is plenty to indicate corruption was the sole reason for Yingluk and co to take office.

Once again, address the question asked or don't bother replying. With every time you refuse to address the question you make your hypocrisy more and more evident.  You wont address the question because you can't.

9 minutes ago, halloween said:

"Others who are still thinking see the good the junta are doing the country"... who?

4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

"Others who are still thinking see the good the junta are doing the country"... who?

I was taking option #1, don't bother giving an answer to somebody unprepared to accept an answer.

This question I will answer just as would like to hear - ME. That you can't see the difference in the workings of the this and the last government speaks much of your lack of discernment.

Just now, halloween said:

I was taking option #1, don't bother giving an answer to somebody unprepared to accept an answer.

This question I will answer just as would like to hear - ME. That you can't see the difference in the workings of the this and the last government speaks much of your lack of discernment.

Where and how did Prayut and his coterie get their obscene wealth and why is no one allowed to ask about this?  The answer is as clear as day.  Which leads me to ask, yet again, how do thieves prosecuting thieves have any credibility?  Just answer the question.  That's all I ask. But you can't.  The brain goes tilt.

16 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Where and how did Prayut and his coterie get their obscene wealth and why is no one allowed to ask about this?  The answer is as clear as day.  Which leads me to ask, yet again, how do thieves prosecuting thieves have any credibility?  Just answer the question.  That's all I ask. But you can't.  The brain goes tilt.

Only yours because your whole premise is flawed, which is easily proven. Allow Thaksin back as PM, should he be allowed to prosecute the junta?

If your answer is yes, you are the epitome of hypocrisy. If it is no, how long should we wait before anybody is prosecuted?

Your problem is that you have swallowed the red version of reconciliation, that their criminals should be immune from prosecution. It isn't going to happen, whether you continue your inane rants or not.

16 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

GreedoTheElderTPM.jpg

The old 'Greedo shot first' revisionist waffle.

The red-shirts were fired upon by the army using live ammunition long before any 'gunmen' or mysterious men-in-black appeared. 

also known as "The Big Red Lie" and hardly worth argument with the likes of you.

How many protesters had even been looked at sideways before Arisman made his bring your bottles speech? peaceful protest my Rs.

17 hours ago, halloween said:

You didn't answer the question. You never do. You run away from inconvenient facts like a.....fill in the blanks yourself.

We can't all see (including you) the differences in the workings of the last elected governments and the last juntas because the juntas are not accountable and answer to no one. What they do they can do in secrecy. That much should be obvious even to you.

Just now, Becker said:

You didn't answer the question. You never do. You run away from inconvenient facts like a.....fill in the blanks yourself.

We can't all see (including you) the differences in the workings of the last elected governments and the last juntas because the juntas are not accountable and answer to no one. What they do they can do in secrecy. That much should be obvious even to you.

My answer was, and still is, I don't know and I don't care. Your hypocrisy is showing when you attempt to paint the last government's workings as transparent and accountable - we still haven't seen the accounting for the rice scam and the G2G only became clear in court. Yingluk and co only became accountable after they were thrown out, and they (and their sycophants) don't like it one bit. tough TIT.

What is obvious is that instead of wasting hundreds of billions in handouts and corruption, there is infrastructure development. Huge amounts of corruption and public land encroachment are being uncovered and prosecuted, and the green among the BIB are energising them like never before.

Why don't you try addressing the credibility issue? or do you accept that it has no basis?

2 hours ago, halloween said:

Only yours because your whole premise is flawed, which is easily proven. Allow Thaksin back as PM, should he be allowed to prosecute the junta?

If your answer is yes, you are the epitome of hypocrisy. If it is no, how long should we wait before anybody is prosecuted?

Your problem is that you have swallowed the red version of reconciliation, that their criminals should be immune from prosecution. It isn't going to happen, whether you continue your inane rants or not.

First off, I don't support the red shirts on the Shins. I know you can't get your head round that.  Now, simply address the question I have asked you countless and stop trying to avoid it by responding with something totally irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, halloween said:

My answer was, and still is, I don't know and I don't care. Your hypocrisy is showing when you attempt to paint the last government's workings as transparent and accountable - we still haven't seen the accounting for the rice scam and the G2G only became clear in court. Yingluk and co only became accountable after they were thrown out, and they (and their sycophants) don't like it one bit. tough TIT.

What is obvious is that instead of wasting hundreds of billions in handouts and corruption, there is infrastructure development. Huge amounts of corruption and public land encroachment are being uncovered and prosecuted, and the green among the BIB are energising them like never before.

Why don't you try addressing the credibility issue? or do you accept that it has no basis?

More deflection.  You can't answer it because it would mean everything you post in support of the junta is nothing but pure hypocrisy. 

Hey joecoolfrog, are you accusing me of supporting anyone, who has been in power or

is in power, Well you are wrong.  I actually want to see a real democratic government

in power, not someone who bought their way into power and continued a corrupt overnment

until they were  chased  from the country. One of them lives in Laos and who knows where

the billionaires are all hiding at these days

Geezer

On 9/14/2017 at 3:57 PM, halloween said:

Others who are still thinking see the good the junta are doing the country, while you can only allude to past corruption.

Perhaps the ineptitude and silliness of this junta may put an end to coups in Thailand ?  Even Thailand's crude direct democracy is better than this current autocracy.  The junta has very little to show three years after usurping power.  The only thing they can come up with is "peace".