Compatible Nespresso pods/capsules

jazcm

20 minutes ago, trd said:

Isn't this machine very expensive to run compared with buying ground coffee and putting it in a filter machine as I do. I'm genuinely interested.

Yes. And the pod machines make very poor coffee.

There are many varieties of coffee pod available in Thailand. If your palette is unrefined and you find you are into the slurp these machines produce, see Google for boncafe/take-5 or Lazada for Nespresso.

Thankfully, we have an excellent choice of locally produced coffee. Pop into Hilkoff for the starter set of good coffee and equipment to brew it at multiple price points. Then have a look further, the variety in coffee here at under 300B/lb or half kilo is better than anywhere in Asia and gives South America a run for its money now.

27 minutes ago, naboo said:

There are many varieties of coffee pod available in Thailand. If your palette is unrefined and you find you are into the slurp these machines produce, see Google for boncafe/take-5 or Lazada for Nespresso.

Thankfully, we have an excellent choice of locally produced coffee. Pop into Hilkoff for the starter set of good coffee and equipment to brew it at multiple price points. Then have a look further, the variety in coffee here at under 300B/lb or half kilo is better than anywhere in Asia and gives South America a run for its money now.

I've been using Nespresso for numerous years and find it excellent coffee.

However, I'm starting to take note of posts such as above and starting to wonder what is so good about this 'locally produced' coffee that makes it so much better than the coffee I make in the morning with a simple press of a button... 

Obviously I don't want to or have time to roast my own beans, I don't want to be messing around with constantly cleaning an espresso machine...

So, my question is, what viable options are there ? - what would you recommend ? I would love to be proven wrong on Nespresso as I find it expensive.

Edited by richard_smith237

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've been using Nespresso for numerous years and find it excellent coffee.

However, I'm starting to take note of posts such as above and starting to wonder what is so good about this 'locally produced' coffee that makes it so much better than the coffee I make in the morning with a simple press of a button... 

Obviously I don't want to or have time to roast my own beans, I don't want to be messing around with constantly cleaning an espresso machine...

So, my question is, what viable options are there ? - what would you recommend ? I would love to be proven wrong on Nespresso as I find it expensive.

I've never roasted my own beans. I've ground my own beans, but find the effort isn't worth it, I get through half a kilo fast enough for it not to go off and Hilkoff grind it to your specification when you purchase it.

Coffee machines, the more you pay, the better. I paid 12,000B 6 years ago, that's 170B/month and falling, still going strong. I've had the seals repaired, by Hilkoff, once in that time for a couple of hundred baht. However, you can get great results from a percolator and Hilkoff have several - avoid the aluminium ones, takes a couple of months to get rid of the aluminium flavour. I can't find it on the website, but if you go into their shop closest to Changpuek bus station, turn right, down the slope and the first or second aisle on the left, there are a selection of percolators there. They have some that sit on a gas/electric hob, and some with a built in electric heating unit (I've never tried the latter, but they caught my attention as an option for my office). These are only a couple of thousand baht and produce results that no drip/pod machine could come close to.

1 hour ago, naboo said:

Excellent point!!

I only drink Douwe Egberts which I buy from Makro.

11 minutes ago, trd said:
2 hours ago, naboo said:

I only drink Douwe Egberts which I buy from Makro.

That's wonderful. You know what you like, and you like what you know.

I like the coffe pod machines for convenience (zero mess, and I've got my cup in a couple minutes), and some of the Nescafé blends aren't bad (Lungo, Grande Intenso, etc- it woul ,be nice if they brought one of the lighter blends into LOS, though).  If you make a regular monthly coffee order, you ca get a free machine (normally ~3K) from Nescafé Dolce Gusto Thailand.  I'm not much of a 'coffee snob', however...;)

nescafe-dolce-gusto-10.jpg

I've never roasted my own beans. I've ground my own beans, but find the effort isn't worth it, I get through half a kilo fast enough for it not to go off and Hilkoff grind it to your specification when you purchase it.

Coffee machines, the more you pay, the better. I paid 12,000B 6 years ago, that's 170B/month and falling, still going strong. I've had the seals repaired, by Hilkoff, once in that time for a couple of hundred baht. However, you can get great results from a percolator and Hilkoff have several - avoid the aluminium ones, takes a couple of months to get rid of the aluminium flavour. I can't find it on the website, but if you go into their shop closest to Changpuek bus station, turn right, down the slope and the first or second aisle on the left, there are a selection of percolators there. They have some that sit on a gas/electric hob, and some with a built in electric heating unit (I've never tried the latter, but they caught my attention as an option for my office). These are only a couple of thousand baht and produce results that no drip/pod machine could come close to.

Think you cAn find stainless, much better than aluminum.

Visit the new and wonderful Hilkoff location next to the big Amway building on the left as you head out of town on Mahidol Road.  It's the nearest thing to coffee heaven outside of Bangkok (maybe even in SEA) and they have everything from very simple percolators to giant industrial roasters.

First of all Nespresso cups can just be ordered online, there is an official website, just google, about 20 baht a capsule

The quality of these original capsules is very good, better then most of the Thai coffee brands in my opinion, and it's very easy to use.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions.

Yes, give me a 'real brewed' cup of coffee any day, but it's the simplicity and the convenience of plopping in a capsule and in less than a minute I have my morning fix almost instantly! 

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Yes it would be hell if you had to take 7 minutes to do a few simple steps to make a cup of coffee in the morning.  Speed freaks even without the pills.

Yeah- I bet he buys his chicken from Tesco rather than raising his own and throttling/plucking/eviscerating  them himself when he's hungry...

3 hours ago, trd said:

My only waste is a recyclable paper coffee filter. Nespresso will create a mountain of empty plastic pods. That really puts me off.

Wrong. Nespresso capsules are aluminum. 100 % recycle friendly. 

The OP has been advised the capsules are only available by online purchase or at Siam Paragon. Every post following #3  personal options, buy from Hillkoff, take a Moka pot, get some of the cheapest  imported blecch from Makro you can find , buy a completely unrelated capsule product and maker from Dolce Gusto, etc., and of course the thinly veiled passive aggressions  and accusations.  So typical.  

The entire subject could be avoided using the search function as the question where? to buy Nespresso capsules in Thailand has come up several times recently in various places on TVF.

Edited by Dipterocarp

The OP has been advised the capsules are only available by online purchase or at Siam Paragon. Every post following #3  personal options, buy from Hillkoff, take a Moka pot, get some of the cheapest  imported blecch from Makro you can find , buy a completely unrelated capsule product and maker from Dolce Gusto, etc., and of course the thinly veiled passive aggressions  and accusations.  So typical.  

The entire subject could be avoided using the search function as the question where? to buy Nespresso capsules in Thailand has come up several times recently in various places on TVF.

Threads seem to be annoying you, it may be better you only use the search and give up on threads

Thanks for putting me straight on that. I've looked on Amazon and Lazada and there seems to be a wide range of prices for the machines. Any recommendations for a good basic machine. Another thing on weighing up the cost. When I have a coffee in the morning it's a mug size which is equivalent to two coffee cups. Does that mean each cap produces a single coffee cup amount.

The various capsule variations are flavor maximized for a lungo or ristetto/espresso pull.

I have the Pixie,  step up from the base model. It has two buttons that are factory set 

at say 40 ml (espresso, shorter higher pressure pull) or Lungo (longer lower pressure pull). Think it is 150ml.

You can also self adjust the pull time/volume somewhat for each button by holding whilst brewing. Off course hot water or milk can be added to make a Americano or other beverage.

I'm all for expensive imported machines, getting into brew and pressure settings and self grinding but I have given up in Chiang Mai due to impossible to maintain. Maybe if you buy from a local supplier of Cafes here like the one on Nimmanhemin that will back up their product. Particularly I don' think you can get a decent grinder for less than $500 that works more than a few month, but that is just my opinion. 

It's a wonderful product. If the Pixie breaks Nespresso says will send you a new one and you return the broken Machine in the box but I have not had to take them up on that. And no more spilled grounds. Just did that here in Japan today...nice having somebody to clean up after oneself.

I really like Darkhan, Kazaar, and Roma. Usually brew capsules into a pyrex beaker and pour directly over ice.

Edited by Dipterocarp

1 hour ago, Dipterocarp said:

I'm all for expensive imported machines, getting into brew and pressure settings and self grinding but I have given up in Chiang Mai due to impossible to maintain. Maybe if you buy from a local supplier of Cafes here like the one on Nimmanhemin that will back up their product. Particularly I don' think you can get a decent grinder for less than $500 that works more than a few month, but that is just my opinion. 

Hilkoff repaired my machine when the circuit board failed on site for a few hundred baht. I didn't buy it from them.

They will grind the beans to whatever grade you want for free when you buy them. This way you know they are freshly ground at purchase.

Fresh coffee vs pods, a no brainer for me.