webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PREM-R said:

I wonder if the abolishing of the TM6. card for the foreigner/the alien, would have a detrimental effect on processing times.  Seems that the IO looks at the TM6 to see if there is an entry in the "Visa No." section and then knows to search for a visa/re-entry permit. If the section is left blank the IO can just stamp in a 30 day "Visa Exempt" stamp without having to search through every passport presented,. Without the TM6 the IO will have to search through every passport before applying the appropriate stamp. 

I'm not sure the immigration officers even understand the form. Last time I came in, using a marriage visa, he asked me if I was married to a Thai, and where I lived even though it was written on the form.

Critics, however, said the scrapping of the TM6 for Thais would not be a great help in speeding up processing at immigration counters because Thai passport holders already have separate counters, adding that the measure would not do anything to reduce the long queues encountered by foreign visitor

BINGO! 

The government is going to cure the symptoms of the (airport) disease, but not the disease itself.

The airport disease is the understaffed counters. If the immigration doesn't want to employ more officers in order to reduce the long queues it should think about different ways for Thailand's „security“. In this case the word security is an euphemism for „TAT-statistics“. Then let the TAT pay for more occupied counters in the airports.

BTW, don't we pay 700 THB for an airport-service, now-a-days included in the ticket price (so you don't see and buy it anymore by yourself)? I guess this fee will go to the AOT. Let AOT pay the money for more Immi-officers and counters. Problem solved, we would think. But it costs …...money, :sad:!

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Can't you still do that? I did it a few years ago but haven't traveled since. At that time I went through the aisle for Thais with official passports. Took a couple of minutes as no one else was waiting. 

August 8th at Sadao immigration big queue and out of 8 counters 3 were for non Thai and 1 for Thais. Eventually they allowed non Thais to use this I was behind 2 Malaysian women who breezed through, my turn I had  Non O  visa, the guy had to go to the next desk and try to find correct stamps, that took a couple of minutes, then come the questions. Where you go where your car where you go again which was on TM6 card. Showed him my train ticket and my ladys I.D card. Eventually he stamped me in making a lot of noise placing stamps after checking my passport he had put depart date a well below the entry stamp.

22 hours ago, tracker1 said:

That should speed things up for tourists NOT !

And very doubtful that it really speeds up the length of time at the actual passport stamp desk for Thai citizens more than 1 or 2 seconds. 

This should not be claimed as a major improvement.  

36 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Certainly speed things up for us at nong khai and Mukdahan crossings. Im always waiting for Mrs filling out TM6. Coupled with the biometric gates for Thais will make a lot of diffrence.

But should be completed by the passenger before joining the line at the passport desk. 

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But should be completed by the passenger before joining the line at the passport desk. 

Which is why im always waiting for her. But no more now

Edited by jeab1980

With TM6 forms for Thais scrapped, crowding at airports expected to ease

By The Nation

5ca1531a3e12ee5b468bace070bbb8d1.jpeg

Immigration police and Airports of Thailand have expressed confidence that with Thai travellers no longer required to fill in immigration cards, known as TM6, the problem of crowding and long queues at airports will soon be solved.

The move to scrap the TM6 forms for Thais, combined with providing additional space for immigration counters, are expected to enable officials to provide more efficient services to passengers.

Immigration Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Nathathorn Prousoontorn said the use of the TM6 forms for Thais travelling through checkpoints throughout the country was cancelled at midnight on Friday following the PM’s order under Article 44.

“Thai passengers will now be spared the inconvenience of waiting in long queues after submitting the form to immigration officials,” he said.

There will also be a decrease in crowds in immigration areas, he added.

At present, the Immigration Bureau’s technologies and database have been developed enough to allow the linking of the passport database of the Foreign Ministry and the Interior Ministry as well as the database of arrest warrants of the Police Department.

“Therefore, the form is no longer required,” Nathathorn said. 

Referring to foreign passengers, he added that the immigration card for them will be adjusted and a new, simpler form will be introduced on December 31. 

In a bid to solve the problem of crowding and long queues at Don Mueang International Airport, the commissioner said the number of immigration counters will be increased from 21 to 35 and four more automated gates would be opened.

Automated gates at Suvarnabhumi Airport are being made available to Thai and Singapore nationals. In the near future, visitors from Hong Kong will also be allowed to enjoy the service while those at Don Mueang Airport will serve only Thais. 

More space will be added to the waiting areas, from 1,100 square metres to 1,710 square metres, Nathathorn said, adding more officials will be deployed at Don Mueang Airport to facilitate the smooth flow of passengers. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30326777

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-15

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Most of the land crossings I've crossed don't mind giving out one or two extra forms so that you can have spares for your next trip and fill them out in your hotel before crossing. Some travel agents I've used also have a stash of these and will give out a few extras.

Saves time since both of us arrive at whatever crossing with all forms already filled in.

25 minutes ago, Denim said:

Most of the land crossings I've crossed don't mind giving out one or two extra forms so that you can have spares for your next trip and fill them out in your hotel before crossing. Some travel agents I've used also have a stash of these and will give out a few extras.

Saves time since both of us arrive at whatever crossing with all forms already filled in.

Have a few extra but for my use coming back in. Will be a lot quicker going out now

I wonder if the abolishing of the TM6. card for the foreigner/the alien, would have a detrimental effect on processing times.  Seems that the IO looks at the TM6 to see if there is an entry in the "Visa No." section and then knows to search for a visa/re-entry permit. If the section is left blank the IO can just stamp in a 30 day "Visa Exempt" stamp without having to search through every passport presented,. Without the TM6 the IO will have to search through every passport before applying the appropriate stamp. 

I do wonder why this information isn't on the screen in front of the officer when they scan the passport....

OB

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

34 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Would this new order (no exit/entry forms for Thai nationals) apply also to permanent residents?

Thais don't need an exit / re-entry stamp in their passport.

PR holders do need an exit / re-entry stamp in their passport and also in their blue or white PR book.

But do you perhaps mean departure / arrival card? 

Edited by scorecard

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

PR holders do need an exit / re-entry stamp in their passport and also in their ble or white PR book.

No they don't, not since PRs became eligible for automated passport checking.If PRs take advantage of this there's no stamp in either passport or white book.If they haven't registered there is still of course a stamp in both books.

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

PR holders do need an exit / re-entry stamp in their passport and also in their blue or white PR book.

Every time we crross border to Laos or cambodia the mrs Thai gets and exit and entry stamp in passport. Maybe now with the new biometric gates for them they will no longer get a stamp

16 minutes ago, jayboy said:

No they don't, not since PRs became eligible for automated passport checking.If PRs take advantage of this there's no stamp in either passport or white book.If they haven't registered there is still of course a stamp in both books.

Thanks for that I didn't know PR holders were able to get automated passport checking. Does one apply at an airport, or?

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks for that I didn't know PR holders were able to get automated passport checking. Does one apply at an airport, or?

Yes you can apply at the airport.Make sure you allow enough time - about 20 minutes in addition to usual.There's a thread about this on the forum with full details which you should check.But from memory you need a very brief reference from a Thai (wife is fine) endorsing you as well as copy of tabien baan.Please check thread however.Annoyingly I believe it has to be renewed every year.

Frankly if you don't travel overseas that much I'm not entirely convinced it's worth bothering with.I haven't renewed because I don't travel overseas that often.Quite irrationally at the back of my mind there's also a niggling concern that it might be wise to have a record of entries/exits in passport/white book.Most of my friends with PR say that concern is unnecessary.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Yes, I am referring to the departure/arrival cards only.

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Where and how does a permanent resident register for automated passport checking? Would be most grateful for tis information.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

At present, the Immigration Bureau’s technologies and database have been developed enough to allow the linking of the passport database of the Foreign Ministry and the Interior Ministry as well as the database of arrest warrants of the Police Department.

Oooops....there goes the 'get a new passport' option for 'long term visa runners'.

The noose tightens yet again...I wonder how much information about 'loopholes' they get from reading TVF?

In reply to posts 54 and 56, validity of autochannel is 2 years and I have used it more than 50 times since registering last year. Very occasionally there has been a problem recognising face or finger and I have had to have a stamp in my passport and blue book. On such occasions immigration staff have informed me when I last entered and exited (last few times) Thailand within seconds, so I don't worry about not having stamps in passport and blue book. When using autochannel nobody looks at the TM6 and often I have kept it myself. As poster 54 said there is a thread on registering and it was useful to me. I registered on departure, but think it can be done on arrival. It was painless, quick and easy, taking no more than 10 mins. Thai wife can sign the form. Highly recommended to register, especially for frequent travellers. The only time I never use autochannel, is when there is long q on departure at baggage check as now no separate qs for Thai and non Thai, in which case I use the fast track for Thai Airways (when travelling TG) or Premium Lane. Probably only once or twice a year. On departure or arrival I have never waited more than 2 minutes at autochannel.