Work For A Firefighter?

hi all

Any information or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

I have recently been pensioned off from the fire service in the UK due to what i see as a minor injury!! I am 35 and have decided that the UK holds nothing for me now,so i am looking at moving out to the los in the near future!

For the past three years of my service i was at training school and would dearly like to continue this line of work in the los!

Any advice or contact numbers on how i might achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Hi WCR

I unfortunately do not speak thai fluently,I can speak to a reasonable level and was contemplating enrolling on a course at one of the uni`s.

Do you think this will be of benefit to me in finding a job teaching all aspects of firefighting within the los?

ukman

To be able to work here you have to be able to, or be seen to be able to, do a job that Thai's can't otherwise you won't get a work permit. You can not work here witout one, well you can but you run a big risk. So do you have some special skill that Thai firefighters don't have? It's difficult I would say for you to be able to work in this area. maybe as a consultant to farang businesses would work, but I don't know how much call there is for this work. Fire precautions in this country are far, far removed from that in UK and business owners may not want to invest in fire precautions when they can get away with not doing them. If you want to be involved with the Thai fire service, you would certainly need to speak Thai.

Make some enquiries, talk to a lawyer, and a good business consultant see what options there are if any for you.

There are a few farang fire consultants running around Thailand, but they are former chiefs with grey hair and a lot of experience under their belts. They sell their services mostly to international companies who wish to make sure their facilities comply with US or UK standards -- not just the local ones.

I would think it is a protected job.

Afterall Firemen here are police officers, and they are not going to let a foreigner in that line of work.

Yes, I doubt it is accessible to foreigners.

So remain only the private companies.

But how many of them need firemen?

You're English, I guess English teaching would be more of an option,...

yes..... he can put out fires.

I have seen the fire brigade at work here on many occasions.

I have also seen the fire brigade at work in the U.K.

As can be expected the U.K. firefighters are professional and well equiped and do what they do very well from burning buildings to R.T.A's to rescuing the odd cat from up a tree.

However the keystone cops variety we have here are much more entertaining I have watched them many times they always bring the house down in more ways than one.

I can't read Thai but does the advert for firefighters stipulate that a G.S.H. is vital for getting the job?

i think that the training given to the uk (and euro/us) fire,police and ambulance services is superb and the thais would do well to import some of that knowledge.

the lives saved through knowledge of correct first aid procedures alone would be well worth the investment,

although i cant see the police here responding to racial awareness training , helping little old ladies to cross sukhumvit road with their shopping trolleys,not smoking on duty, not using suspected criminals for target practice or being unarmed going down too well.

well maybe the police are beyond redemption, but the fire crews...definately.

in all seriousness...I suggest investigating employment with a western company engaged in your line of business in Thailand in a consulting capacity. Insurance requirements increasingly follow a western standard and if local companies cannot demonstrate compliance they lose out when bidding on contracts when the main contractor is western. Use your industry knowlege to identify fire protection consulting organizations and fire off CVs accordingly...

good luck...