It's a wait and see game - smokers and drinkers will discover tax fate on Saturday

webfact

6 hours ago, Happy enough said:

none of my mates were either fined or sent to jail. lets not get technical. you wont go to jail for smoking an ecig. really you won't

It's idiots like you two is the reason they raise booze prices!

Have a cat fight outside TV while sharing a big bottle of newly priced Leo. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Alantct said:

Not to be pedantic but the word is pedantic not predantic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As if i or the world really care. You get pulled up on a wrongly stated post get all huffy and have to find fault. Such a sad existence.

Edited by jeab1980

15 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i live here and i'm sure i'm not going to jail over an ecig

TBH, most don't give a flying frig if you do or don't. So you are thumbing your nose at laws that you disagree with in a foreign country.

Big deal. Welcome to the 'legends in your own lunchtime' club of farang superheroes.

Meanwhile, back ON TOPIC?

Edited by NanLaew

Not long ago, while visiting a restaurant on Samui, called Dr. Frogs, I noticed a little sign on the table. We are proud to offer our new house wine. Yellow Tail cabernet. Only 1,499 baht, per bottle. I had just returned from the US, and the markets were absolutely flooded with this swill, at $3.99 a bottle. That is about 135 baht! So, yes I agree with you. Why drink absolute junk, for inflated prices? 

Yellow Tail is the best selling imported wine in the United States. Yellow Tail accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. imports in 2005. This one wine brand represents about 8 percent of all Australian wine production and 15 percent of that country’s total wine exports. Yellow Tail sells more wine in the U.S. than all French producers combined. And that say alot about the average American wine palate.  

Again, the government misses the mark, and does not have the vision, nor the courage to undo an injustice, perpetrated by very corrupt senators, who sabotaged the Thai economy, in a feeble effort to protect a few unbelievably inferior local wine producers. Instead, goes what their solution is? Raise taxes even more, to compound the import taxes already in place. Who came up with this policy? How was it approved? Who are these people? Why are they allowed to continue their reign of economic destruction?

Also, this is in direct contravention to the ASEAN charter that Thailand signed, and is a party to, that allows the distribution, importation, and export of all alcoholic beverages between all ASEAN members, duty free. When is the last time you saw a bottle of Saigon beer, 33 beer (both Vietnamese beers), Hitachino Nest white ale, India pale ale (both from Cambodia), or Bintang beer (Indonesian) on the supermarket shelves? Beer Laos, if you are lucky enough. I can understand why the giant Thai beer companies would do everything in their power to squash the implementation of this law. Their product is way, way inferior, to that of their neighbors. But, the government has a responsibility to follow through with laws they are a party to. Even if that means saying no to massive hand outs.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not long ago, while visiting a restaurant on Samui, called Dr. Frogs, I noticed a little sign on the table. We are proud to offer our new house wine. Yellow Tail cabernet. Only 1,499 baht, per bottle. I had just returned from the US, and the markets were absolutely flooded with this swill, at $3.99 a bottle. That is about 135 baht! So, yes I agree with you. Why drink absolute junk, for inflated prices? 

Yellow Tail is the best selling imported wine in the United States. Yellow Tail accounted for 11 percent of all U.S. imports in 2005. This one wine brand represents about 8 percent of all Australian wine production and 15 percent of that country’s total wine exports. Yellow Tail sells more wine in the U.S. than all French producers combined. And that say alot about the average American wine palate.  

Again, the government misses the mark, and does not have the vision, nor the courage to undo an injustice, perpetrated by very corrupt senators, who sabotaged the Thai economy, in a feeble effort to protect a few unbelievably inferior local wine producers. Instead, goes what their solution is? Raise taxes even more, to compound the import taxes already in place. Who came up with this policy? How was it approved? Who are these people? Why are they allowed to continue their reign of economic destruction?

Also, this is in direct contravention to the ASEAN charter that Thailand signed, and is a party to, that allows the distribution, importation, and export of all alcoholic beverages between all ASEAN members, duty free. When is the last time you saw a bottle of Saigon beer, 33 beer (both Vietnamese beers), Hitachino Nest white ale, India pale ale (both from Cambodia), or Bintang beer (Indonesian) on the supermarket shelves? Beer Laos, if you are lucky enough. I can understand why the giant Thai beer companies would do everything in their power to squash the implementation of this law. Their product is way, way inferior, to that of their neighbors. But, the government has a responsibility to follow through with laws they are a party to. Even if that means saying no to massive hand outs.

Just dont drink crappy wine here problem solved. I can get beer Lao here in village. Not a problem. Have tried Saigon beer terrible stuff.

22 minutes ago, wimpy said:

Still no change in prices for beer, Gilby gin, or 100% grape wine at my local Lotus Express. What was this all about anyway?

Give it time the bigger operators wont increase price untill old bought stock is depleted

Edited by jeab1980

33 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Give it time the bigger operators wont increase price untill old bought stock is depleted

That is not the usual way a tax increase is implemented. A price increase may be phased in as new stock comes online. Tax increases are usually immediate, as the cost of the stock is not relevant. It is a law that applies to sales, regardless of when the stock was purchased.

Large Bottle of Heineken 630 ml still 70 Bt....and Twin Chang 620 ml ...108 Bt in local 7/11.Actually wish they would get a move on and show the new prices.Just opened a new shop but of course nobody is flogging the stuff locally until said increases are notified...on the shelf...In the meantime I have 50 cases of Chang...plus Hein...and god knows whats in the other cases stored in my office/bedroom...wife says...wait...gao...

Edited by Rinrada

12 minutes ago, wimpy said:

That is not the usual way a tax increase is implemented. A price increase may be phased in as new stock comes online. Tax increases are usually immediate, as the cost of the stock is not relevant. It is a law that applies to sales, regardless of when the stock was purchased.

In a normal society but this is Thailand 

Edited by jeab1980

12 hours ago, wimpy said:

Not in the LOS.

:wai:

21 hours ago, wimpy said:

Still no change in prices for beer, Gilby gin, or 100% grape wine at my local Lotus Express. What was this all about anyway?

The box of crappy wine that I like immediately went up fron 719 baht to 899 baht at the local Makro, how's that for profiteering?

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

The box of crappy wine that I like immediately went up fron 719 baht to 899 baht at the local Makro, how's that for profiteering?

Can't quote a post number, because they seem to have disappeared, but see the post from wimpy about the way tax increases are applied at point of sale - the same way as petrol price increases are usually implemented in the UK.

In other words, the extra revenue doesn't go to Makro - it goes to the Government.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Can't quote a post number, because they seem to have disappeared, but see the post from wimpy about the way tax increases are applied at point of sale - the same way as petrol price increases are usually implemented in the UK.

In other words, the extra revenue doesn't go to Makro - it goes to the Government.

but crap Thai wine price should go down, not up

3 hours ago, sambum said:

When old stock runs out yes. The wife enquired about the increase and was told and has it in writing from the revenue office. The increase does not affect beer or spirits or wine already bought and can be proved it was bought before the new taxes came into being. 

Edited by jeab1980