Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

that was actually illegal, they are not allowed to do that, the new taxes are only applied to new stock. There will be many retailers with very large stocks now hoping to cash in extra in the short run.

I am glad you answered that - because I went to the same store this evening and bought a 3 pack of Chang, price is still 158 baht, so have no idea why they closed the refers last night, it was closer to 2200hrs than 2100hrs as reported (wifey reminded me)

6 minutes ago, bleble said:

If they need money why not legalizing weed ? With millions people smoking it in this country, they would become as rich as Colorado !

Probably because weed is a drug that is prohibited in more countries than beer is. That thought ever crossed your mind?

Edited by Get Real

2 minutes ago, grollies said:

Above, I buy my Leo by the case and they are all date-stamped.

Should I refuse to pay the extra duty on a case of beer produced before the 16th Sept?

Off course you should! You can probably refuse as much as you want. The big question is if you want any beer or nor. If you want, you probably have to pay the price. The other solution is to go to the AA-meeting next time. 

Next unintelligent question, please! :clap2:

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Off course you should! You can probably refuse as much as you want. The big question is if you want any beer or nor. If you want, you probably have to pay the price. The other solution is to go to the AA-meeting next time. 

Next unintelligent question, please! :clap2:

Coor blimey .Where do they come from ? another one left the brain at the Airport .

Just now, anto said:

Coor blimey .Where do they come from ? another one left the brain at the Airport .

Some of us are just over intelligent, you know. :cheesy: Almost same like asking if you should buy same size of underwear, just because they fit last year.

2 minutes ago, steve187 said:

ripped off

So you say! I am only happy. This means less amonunt of adlesson power drinkers in this country. I just do not care about what I pay for the beers. Just over happy that some people just can´t afford it nomore. 

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

21 pages and counting. I've read page 1 and page 21.

I can't be arsed to read the rest.

Let's cut to the chase - so what's a bottle of Chang going to cost me now at my local corner mom'n'pop shop?

approx 118 Bath. not too much. :crazy:

Edited by Get Real

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Let's cut to the chase - so what's a bottle of Chang going to cost me now at my local corner mom'n'pop shop?

Depends on your shop .Mine used to charge B50 .,which is extra cheap .Thus i am expecting it to go to B52 approx .

Just now, anto said:

Depends on your shop .Mine used to charge B50 .,which is extra cheap .Thus i am expecting it to go to B52 approx .

You're doing well. All the local village shops here have charged 55 for ages. I buy 2 cases a fortnight in town, fluctuated between 530 and 560 baht a case, depending on the weather, a full moon, wrong time of the month etc.

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

You're doing well. All the local village shops here have charged 55 for ages. I buy 2 cases a fortnight in town, fluctuated between 530 and 560 baht a case, depending on the weather, a full moon, wrong time of the month etc.

I would not save by buying boxes ,as i would just drink more ;-)

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I will take a wild guess, and just be staight forward. The moon has very littele to do with the tax hike.

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Price in the West * ([lower labor cost in Thailand ÷ greed of the top families] 3a of number of submarines the holy π requires) 

≈ nobody has F idea and waits for the next in line to be able to calculate it... welcome to Thailand sir

6 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

430 baht per litre of alcohol.
Say a beer is 5% then the increase would be 430/20 = 21.5 baht for a litre.

Not sure of my logic as it seems an incredible hike.

Yep, I know! Your logic is not wrong at all. 

first it 22 bath hike per bottle. that will make approx 55 go to 77.

After that I gues we have to calculte the 430 Bath. That will make the same amount as you say. It will stay under a 100 Bath per bottle, but saomhow the shop I just bought it in charged me 118.

Edited by Get Real

I just went out to buy a bottle of Sangsom Thai Whiskey today and the shop said it was only 20 baht higher....... 290B vs 270B it used to be.......... Not really a sharp increase............

I didn't ask about Johnnie Black ar Chivas Regal............. Maybe the imported stuff got the 'sharp increase'........... 

But to have any effect on Thai 'drink driving' they didn't increase much on Thai 'Drink driver' favorites....... 

Spread the news to all those 'High Class' tourists that Thailand is really setting up shop to strip them of their money 'rapidly'.............