Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

How exactly are they extorting money? Ask you to pay an on the spot fine? Do they pressure you somehow besides of saying that at the police station you would have to pay 5000thb?

You have to carry your passport, if you don't carry it you can probably be fined, i don't know for how much, but you would of course pay this at the police station.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

14 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

What type of police?  Immigration police or normal police?

normal traffic stop police that try to get cash from motorists

i asked them what station they are from and they said phaya thai but would not take me there.

they play the "inconvenience you" game .    finally one asked for money to buy "cola" as in coca cola.

Edited by atyclb

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

Likely working with the tuk-tuk operator too.

possible but the tuk tuk ran the police checkpoint and 2 cops on a bike caught up with him. i heard one cop trying to extort 20000 from driver accusing him of using heroin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

ended up giving 500 baht to buy cola at 7 11.   they could have dragged it on for hours.  i was a passenger in tuk tuk.

Ok...a reasonable solution...I have a friend who gets pulled over on his bike about once a month...they always seem to find something (he is a bit of a scatterbrain...no license, no passport, no whatever) and he budgets 500 baht a month for that purpose. Coke....ha ha

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonray said:

Ok...a reasonable solution...I have a friend who gets pulled over on his bike about once a month...they always seem to find something (he is a bit of a scatterbrain...no license, no passport, no whatever) and he budgets 500 baht a month for that purpose. Coke....ha ha

i could understand if i had actually done something wrong and needed a fast way out. police have lost a lot of turf to the army and seem to be hurting. all those night street bars are gone and rental income. army also controls many other businesses now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1