Police again extorting foreigners that dont carry passport

atyclb

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not prepared to carry my passport at all times for fear of loss, theft, pick pocketing or just my own drunken carelessness. Therefore I make a colour copy of my ID page and visa dates page and have it reduced to credit card size and laminated. Here in Pattaya I have tried a couple of places but the cheapest was at Kodak on Threppasit near the junction with Thapraya.  It was a third of the price of the Kodak shop on Soi Buakao. I get two made at the same time.

20180622_133809.jpg

On 2/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, agudbuk said:
On 10/16/2017 at 6:35 PM, JimP said:
I was on Sukhumvit between Nana and Asoke a couple weekends ago while sober and was very surprised to see all the businesses lined with African and Arab men.  I mean, if I want to buy a 'dildo for her pleasure,' I'm going to buy it from an old fat Thai woman. These foreign male hawkers made no attempt to speak English or Thai to me as I passed.  And over half of the prostitutes lining the sidewalk and under bridges were from Africa.  What's a tourist straight off the plane with yellow fever to do?  It's not that I wouldn't fancy a bit of brown cinnamon or even a bit of dark chocolate; that's not it at all.  I just wonder what all the p. Lek's and p. Som's and their sick moms and buffalo are doing?  Where have they migrated because from what I can see, they are getting kicked off every corner.  I made it down by that dump Thermae, (just street level, mind you) and again was surprised.  African pimps everywhere!  I mean...a little self-respect, ladies.  No one is going to shake down an African hooker working freelance, except perhaps the Thai police, so what were all these dicks loitering around about?  Was there a two for one deal on Big Mac's I didn't know about?   It's a dog eat dog world out there, I guess.  Call me nostalgic for the 'old days' (like a couple years ago) when a man could slide down Sukhumvit get pigeon English cooed at him from ally ways.  Hell, I'd even take the ladyboy's returning over what is out there now. ?

Police operation black eagle is s start

They drove of the Thai food vendors and hawkers and pop up restaurants and bars and ruined lower suk which as you have observed is now dominated by foreign criminals from Africa.  It's disgusting what they did to lower suk. Through out Bangkok and elsewhere well established communities are being destroyed by spitefullness, blinkered military mindset and ignorance. A tragedy. I no longer bother with Bangkok. 

On 2/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, agudbuk said:
On 1/18/2018 at 10:16 AM, kurtmartens said:
So you willingly broke the law?  

50mph adequate on busy urban road.

Adequate or not isn't the point.  If the speed limit is posted and someone decides for himself what he will drive and breaks the law ... then getting on a soapbox about it (not you) .... no sympathy.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:47 PM, The manic said:

They drove of the Thai food vendors and hawkers and pop up restaurants and bars and ruined lower suk which as you have observed is now dominated by foreign criminals from Africa.  It's disgusting what they did to lower suk. Through out Bangkok and elsewhere well established communities are being destroyed by spitefullness, blinkered military mindset and ignorance. A tragedy. I no longer bother with Bangkok. 

I agree with some of what you say about Bangkok.

I guess it all depends on your goal for being there.

Mine is women.

Still plenty of places to meet ladies including the clubs, online, etc.

I go about once a month for a few days and usually stay near Chidlom area.

I still like the women in BKK plenty of beauties, I think more good looking then Pattaya in general. 

I do not go to Nana area much if at all you are right it is a shame what has happened.

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Lt. General Nakhatorn Prousoontorn stated a copy is OK. Passport will stay home unless otherwise needed.

He used to be the Immigration Police commander. No longer is, AFAIK.

But, nonetheless, I believe the advice still stands -- passport photocopy supposed to be OK, as long as the original is available from home if required.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/17/2017 at 1:05 PM, craigt3365 said:

But a bank isn't the police.  And your Thai ID card doesn't have your visa info.  Believe me, this is what's important.  My Thai DL has my passport number on it, but that's not going to save me.  Only a valid visa stamp will. 

Here in Pattaya, many have been taken down to the station for only having copies.  Some end up in Bangkok if they can't produce the passport within 24 hours.  Again, sometimes a paper copy works.  But not always. 

Not true. Immigration authorities can easily find out your visa status by checking the details on your driver's license. I found this out at an event held back in December at government house. Took them only a minute or two to look up my details on their computer database based on my supplying them a Thai driver's licence. It isn't rocket science - just a few details are needed and everything is computerized these days.

I just came across this post and it brought up a question I've been thinking about recently. I have a Thai driving licence and I used to carry a photo copy of my passport with me plus a photo on my phone. This was mainly due to avoid loss. That was what used to be advised on here but since I was never asked for it I've no idea if it would work.  I think after the military took over they started insisting on the actual passport.

I've been carrying mine ever since but I've found another problem, they don't last very well in my pocket. The lettering on the front got worn off and the pages were dog-eared which caused the photo page to delaminate. I was due to get another one but had to make an urgent trip to Thailand due to a family death using my old one. It was so bad that when I went to Heathrow the Qatar check in had it sent to be. I was going to try to get a passport cover but if a copy is ok again now maybe I won't need to. 

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

I just came across this post and it brought up a question I've been thinking about recently. I have a Thai driving licence and I used to carry a photo copy of my passport with me plus a photo on my phone. This was mainly due to avoid loss. That was what used to be advised on here but since I was never asked for it I've no idea if it would work.  I think after the military took over they started insisting on the actual passport.

I've been carrying mine ever since but I've found another problem, they don't last very well in my pocket. The lettering on the front got worn off and the pages were dog-eared which caused the photo page to delaminate. I was due to get another one but had to make an urgent trip to Thailand due to a family death using my old one. It was so bad that when I went to Heathrow the Qatar check in had it sent to be. I was going to try to get a passport cover but if a copy is ok again now maybe I won't need to. 

I never carry original or copy, never think about it, never been asked for it, never had a friend who has ever been asked for, and other than on TVF i dont think anyone i know of has ever been asked for one. Thats in 12 years. Screw carrying around my passport or even a copy for 12 years on the minuscule % chance that you might get stopped. I have a Thai drivers license in my wallet and i have no doubt a friendly smile, and a bit of politeness would see me fine, IF i was ever ever asked to produce it.

So many drama queens on TVF, and i think straight up bullshitters.

Take a picture with your phone or go to one of the many print shops around and get them to photo-copy your passport..and your Visa Entry stamp/Arrivals Immigration card(with the stamp on it)Then get them to laminate it..donot carry your passport around with you!

On 9/16/2017 at 9:49 AM, jackdd said:

How exactly are they extorting money? Ask you to pay an on the spot fine? Do they pressure you somehow besides of saying that at the police station you would have to pay 5000thb?

You have to carry your passport, if you don't carry it you can probably be fined, i don't know for how much, but you would of course pay this at the police station.

You must be walking about with your eyes shut

15 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I never carry original or copy, never think about it, never been asked for it, never had a friend who has ever been asked for, and other than on TVF i dont think anyone i know of has ever been asked for one. Thats in 12 years.

They do sometimes ask for it in the stop and searches around Asoke area. I've never carried it and have only a photograph on my phone, but I've found they haven't pursued things further anyway when I just told them my passport is at home. Not sure if it's better to speak with the cops in Thai or English, but I've always used Thai and things seem to have gone smoothly. 

been coming to thailand for 12 years- never got asked for a passport. got searched one time on riverside by kao san but thats about it. hey bring back the negro guy- i think its funny people think its alright to say that and its just pc crap. o op i wish you would go up to the first black man you see  and call him a negro and see what happens. you can see pc first hand! or is it first punch lol.

On 9/16/2017 at 1:49 PM, jackdd said:

How exactly are they extorting money? Ask you to pay an on the spot fine? Do they pressure you somehow besides of saying that at the police station you would have to pay 5000thb?

You have to carry your passport, if you don't carry it you can probably be fined, i don't know for how much, but you would of course pay this at the police station.

I’ve never carried my passport in case I loose it and they go tatty very quickly, only carry just my driving licence, been stoped once only but not fined just waved on?

must be lucky but I’ve never had a cop try to extort money from me either so either I am the exception in here or perhaps some stories are date I say potentially fabricated?

9 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

I’ve never carried my passport in case I loose it and they go tatty very quickly, only carry just my driving licence, been stoped once only but not fined just waved on?

must be lucky but I’ve never had a cop try to extort money from me either so either I am the exception in here or perhaps some stories are date I say potentially fabricated?

A Thai license always works for me also.

I have never been extorted either.  I am sure it still happens, but a lot less then it did 5 years ago.

The immigration COULD put a copy machine at the airport to make it easy for the foreigners to photocopy their passport.

Good idea I have heard this suggested before.
Copy with official immigration stamp for a small fee. Also Hospital style wristbands could be implemented, color coded for ease of identification.

9 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Copy with official immigration stamp for a small fee. Also Hospital style wristbands could be implemented, color coded for ease of identification.

...plus back in the day with the ag department wanting in microchip the cocks...

On 9/16/2017 at 1:49 PM, jackdd said:

A copy is perfectly legal, as long as you can produce the real one given a real need. It's unwise to run around with it everywhere and risk losing it.  Where do you live, BTW? Not here, no doubt. Please refrain from offering further uninformed and bad advice. 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, Date Masamune said:

How do you suggest the colour-coded wristbands would work, out of interest?

On 9/16/2017 at 3:41 PM, LannaGuy said:

You mean "excuse me for asking but are you a person of colour? and when I say colour I mean no offence to any minorities, sexual or racial"     nice PC version for you

we are all one colour or another. 

You people in Bangkok seem to be getting a hard time from the cops.  We rarely see one around my neck of the woods (Rayong) and if we do, he is usually eating rice and chatting up the som tam lady. 

40 minutes ago, bluesofa said:
How do you suggest the colour-coded wristbands would work, out of interest?  

The wristband would be issued at point of entry and have a bar code or RFID tag coded with ID info and permit to stay. For example a temp visitor (tourist visa, visa exempt) could be issued say a yellow wristband. Nobody would expect somebody with a yellow wristband to be offering sex on Sukhumvit Road, spinning a record in a DJ booth, etc.

No more issues about identification or carrying passport and police could easier manage the movement of aliens and target wrongdoers for arrest.

2 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

The wristband would be issued at point of entry and have a bar code / RFID tag coded with ID info and permit to stay. Say then a temp visitor (tourist visa, visa exempt) could be issued say a yellow wristband. Nobody would expect somebody with a yellow wristband to be offering sex on Sukhumvit Road, spinning a record in a DJ booth, etc.

No more issues about identification or carrying passport and police could easier manage the movement of aliens and target wrongdoers.

Like been on licence with an ankle tax monitored 24x7 bit like using your Tesco club card they would know anything about you

Archived