Bone grinding - human remains

mr_lob

A very good friend of mine was killed in an accident a few months ago and some of his family from the UK will be coming over next month to scatter his ashes at sea. The issue is that his remains are still in quite large pieces, clearly visible human bones which would be quite traumatic for them.

We have asked at the temple here in Krabi if anywhere can grind them into a finer state, but with no success.

Does anybody know of somewhere preferably in Phuket or even Bangkok where this can be done?

18 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

How did it happen to leave such big pieces? Been to many a cremation and never seen what you describe?

Yes likewise - I am not sure why they have come out so big. Maybe they didn't cook him long enough.

This is just how it is in Thai Cremation

The furnace is not a locked tight type in western world but more of an open BBQ for lack of better description

The ashes & bone bits then fall thru a grating to a cart under building that is later rolled out for family to pick thru.

What they usually do is just take a bit of ash in small urn

What OP can do is just collect ash alone. No need to tell family more

In any cremation there are parts of bone left at the end if the cremation process. This is true for the latest cremators used in any Western country.

Larger bones are raked out of the cremator and added to the finer bone fragments. After a magnet is passed over the cremated remains to remove any ferrous metals and any titanium is picked out by hand the bone fragments are placed in a cremulator.

This is a machine with a small rotating drum with 2 or 3 heavy steel balls about the size of a cricket ball inside. These balls pulverized the bone fragments into the fine cremated remains Western people are more used to seeing. The process takes 10-20 minutes.

Cremulators are not generally used in Asia as traditionally it is the larger bone fragments that are kept. Crushing these fragments would defeat the purpose of an Asian cremation.

Mortar and pestle?

17 hours ago, blackcab said:

In any cremation there are parts of bone left at the end if the cremation process. This is true for the latest cremators used in any Western country.

Larger bones are raked out of the cremator and added to the finer bone fragments. After a magnet is passed over the cremated remains to remove any ferrous metals and any titanium is picked out by hand the bone fragments are placed in a cremulator.

This is a machine with a small rotating drum with 2 or 3 heavy steel balls about the size of a cricket ball inside. These balls pulverized the bone fragments into the fine cremated remains Western people are more used to seeing. The process takes 10-20 minutes.

Cremulators are not generally used in Asia as traditionally it is the larger bone fragments that are kept. Crushing these fragments would defeat the purpose of an Asian cremation.

Mortar and pestle?

Many thanks for that - good to know.

I had thought about a mortar and pestle and he would have a good laugh at that but i dont think i could bring myself to do it!

16 hours ago, mania said:

Is there a problem with just giving the family the ashes only?

No need to stress/bother them with the exact info nor would the deceased likely want you too right?

his wife's side are Chinese Buddhists, and they believe that the ashes must all be laid to rest together, so no we can't separate them