Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

On 9/20/2017 at 3:37 PM, transam said:

A guy heading for his pension with no assets has a bird in LOS and they have a babe....The guy knows he probably will not be able to support them because of his age....

So thinks, get them into the UK, social security will take care of them.......

I think simple logic...

A decent post from you, for once.

Wonders will never cease

I’m not sure why so many people are talking about the immigration rights of asylum seekers, refugees or economic migrants. There are many different categories of immigration application, and all categories must satisfy the requirements of the law pertinent to their category. 

Patrick Murray’s wife’s application (if indeed one has been made) is governed by the law concerning the immigration of a UK citizen's spouse from a non EU country; he apparently, cannot fulfil the minimum income prerequisite for this application, so she cannot be granted immigration status …… end of story, unless there is a change to the law (unlikely) or until he is prepared to knuckle down and provide the necessary income to support a wife and child, the same as anyone else that has wanted to bring a non EU spouse to the UK has had to do  ……. but don't hold yer breath 

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim
punctuation error

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

The rules for family immigration are the same for all, regardless of the nationality of the applicant or sponsor; as are any exceptions from the standard requirements contained within the rules.

Playing the system is knowing the rules and how to satisfy them. You have sought advice here on a settlement application; does that mean you are playing the system? Of course it doesn't!

N

Can I refer you to post 635 on this thread,where he states Some of the exemptions.

Regarding my wife’s settlement application, to accompany me and our British passport children to the UK . I did indeed ask for advice, but not to play ( cheat ) the system, but how to abide by the rules and regulations. 

20 hours ago, Drago said:

Yes he is British so is bound by the rules whilst they write different ones for the family members of asylum seekers and refugees.

Yes, he is bound by the rules that apply to his situation; and the family members of asylum seekers and refugees are bound by the rules that are written for, and apply to them ........ I don't know what problem you have with people abiding by the laws of the UK 

26 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Yes, he is bound by the rules that apply to his situation; and the family members of asylum seekers and refugees are bound by the rules that are written for, and apply to them ........ I don't know what problem you have with people abiding by the laws of the UK 

Because there are Different rules, and they don’t work to the advantage of our own citizens, that’s the point. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Because there are Different rules, and they don’t work to the advantage of our own citizens, that’s the point. 

Maybe if the UK government stopped helping to create refugees, the situation would be easier for UK citizens. 

4 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Asylum and refugees are a different ball game, The UK does as the UN asks, here they just push them back into the sea. Do not try to confuse the issue here with a comparison done by people who do not know what refugee means.

I agree with you 100% on this.

As far as his kid is concerned he or she will be entitled to a UK passport so, when he does get here with his wife and baby, the baby will get child support etc and be entitled to it.

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

Can I refer you to post 635 on this thread,where he states Some of the exemptions.

Regarding my wife’s settlement application, to accompany me and our British passport children to the UK . I did indeed ask for advice, but not to play ( cheat ) the system, but how to abide by the rules and regulations. 

I have never said that there are not exceptions to parts of the rules; indeed stated some of them myself earlier than the post you refer to!

So you asking for advice is not cheating the system; but when others ask for and receive similar advice on how to abide by the rules and regulations it is!!!

What a strange point of view.

21 hours ago, puchooay said:

Maybe if the UK government stopped helping to create refugees, the situation would be easier for UK citizens. 

Oh, surely not that old left wing chestnut again, it’s the fault of the UK government; give us a break will ya. Go and tell it to the governments of Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, all of whom have been bombing their brothers in Syria since September 2014 not of course forgetting the regime of Syria itself; and did I mention Russia, France, the USA et al …… on yer bike please, tout suite ?? ?? ✌️✌️  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rasg said:

I agree with you 100% on this.

As far as his kid is concerned he or she will be entitled to a UK passport so, when he does get here with his wife and baby, the baby will get child support etc and be entitled to it.

I get the impression that you haven't really been following this thread; the kid is a she, his daughter, and when you say “when he does get here with his wife and baby” I assume you mean “here” to be the UK. Well, he came back “here” in April 2016 and then in February 2017 he went to stay in Spain. I have no idea where he is now, but it’s a reasonably safe bet that his wife and daughter are still in Thailand, with or without any financial support from him

I have followed this thread fairly closely thanks. A daughter or son is a kid, or a baby goat.

I hope he's working his socks off cabbing so that he can earn over the £18,600 so she can apply for a settlement visa to the UK and I also hope he is sending money to his wife and kid too.

2 minutes ago, rasg said:

I have followed this thread fairly closely thanks. A daughter or son is a kid, or a baby goat.

I hope he's working his socks off cabbing so that he can earn over the £18,600 so she can apply for a settlement visa to the UK and I also hope he is sending money to his wife and kid too.

But apparently he actually gave up cabbing to go DJing in Spain, might be some time before he can meet the requirements.

10 hours ago, rasg said:

With respect, if you have followed this thread why would you refer to his kid as “he or she” ….. and why would you say “when he does get back here” when he in fact, got back here 18 months ago. 

Listen up, it’s not important, but it is good to know the story if you're going to comment; however, you score some points for being one of the few on here to show some concern for the welfare of the wife and daughter, instead of just for this chancer Mr Murray  ?? ??  ?? ?

18 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

But apparently he actually gave up cabbing to go DJing in Spain, might be some time before he can meet the requirements.

As said previously; if he is legitimately exercising his economic treaty right to live and work in Spain then his wife and daughter can join him there using the EU freedom of movement regulations. Once they have lived there together for a reasonable period of time they could then use the Surinder Singh route under those same regulations to move to the UK. All with no visa fees and no strict financial requirement.

Provided he does all this before Brexit, of course!

8 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

however (rasg), you score some points for being one of the few on here to show some concern for the welfare of the wife and daughter, instead of just for this chancer Mr Murray  

If Murray is the chancer you believe him to be, and I'm not saying he is, then surely they are better off without him!

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As said previously; if he is legitimately exercising his economic treaty right to live and work in Spain then his wife and daughter can join him there using the EU freedom of movement regulations. Once they have lived there together for a reasonable period of time they could then use the Surinder Singh route under those same regulations to move to the UK. All with no visa fees and no strict financial requirement.

If Murray is the chancer you believe him to be, and I'm not saying he is, then surely they are better off without him!

True, Spain does not have any financial requirement for non EU spouses of EU citizens resident in Spain, no visa required and they can even work without a permit, not ever country in the EU allows that, I know Italy and Spain do but there could be others, and France is pretty easy also, only an income required of 800 euro.  I understand that the Singh route only requires you to have been living with someone who has been employed in any EU country for 90 days before you will be considered an EU resident and so free to live anywhere in the EU, quite an easy way in.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

True, Spain does not have any financial requirement for non EU spouses of EU citizens resident in Spain, no visa required and they can even work without a permit, not ever country in the EU allows that, I know Italy and Spain do but there could be others, and France is pretty easy also, only an income required of 800 euro.  I understand that the Singh route only requires you to have been living with someone who has been employed in any EU country for 90 days before you will be considered an EU resident and so free to live anywhere in the EU, quite an easy way in.

All countries covered by the freedom of movement directive, which is all EU and EEA member states plus Switzerland, should apply the same rules. Basically, all that is required is that the EEA or Swiss national family member is exercising an economic treaty right and they and their family can support themselves without being an 'unreasonable burden upon the state.'

There is no specified minimum time one must have lived in another member state in order to qualify for the Surinder Singh route; but the family must have 'established the centre of their life' in that country. Each member state has their own interpretation of what this means; for the UK's see Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK, 6. Surinder Singh

24 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

All countries covered by the freedom of movement directive, which is all EU and EEA member states plus Switzerland, should apply the same rules. Basically, all that is required is that the EEA or Swiss national family member is exercising an economic treaty right and they and their family can support themselves without being an 'unreasonable burden upon the state.'

There is no specified minimum time one must have lived in another member state in order to qualify for the Surinder Singh route; but the family must have 'established the centre of their life' in that country. Each member state has their own interpretation of what this means; for the UK's see Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK, 6. Surinder Singh

Ok, but some countries specify a minimum income, Spain does not seem to mind as long as the EU citizen is employed.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I must confess that i had no knowledge of the Surinder Singh route until someone on here, maybe yourself, mentioned it. I have had a quick look at it, and it does seem a viable alternative. However, I believe he would need to establish Spain as what they refer to as his “centre of life” which would entail such things as providing proof of residency through a property tenancy agreement, or property purchase, and proving proof of employment and other seemingly unspecified criteria. 

I’m not sure that a cash-in-hand job DJing at the Pig & Whistle in Benidorm, and some temporary accommodation would cut the mustard with the Spanish authorities; surely they are aware of people using this route and would be reasonably stringent …. but as I say, it is a new concept to me, and maybe Mr Murray, thinks like I did, that Surinder Singh is a leg break bowler with a decent googy and an unreadable flipper  

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

And that is exactly it. He believes him to be. Unless he knows something we don't, it's just supposition. I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt knowing the only reason this even hit the headlines is because he played a relatively small part in a TV show many years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I’m not sure that a cash-in-hand job DJing at the Pig & Whistle in Benidorm, and some temporary accommodation would cut the mustard with the Spanish authorities; surely they are aware of people using this route and would be reasonably stringent …. but as I say, it is a new concept to me, and maybe Mr Murray, thinks like I did, that Surinder Singh is a leg break bowler with a decent googy and an unreadable flipper  

Again, you have no clue that he was paid cash in hand or anything else about him, or do you?

6 minutes ago, rasg said:

Again, you have no clue that he was paid cash in hand or anything else about him, or do you?

So how do you think his salary was structured and paid to him by a pub in Benidorm ..... electronic bank transfer .....  ??

8 minutes ago, rasg said:

So why can he not do as I and many others had to do to comply with the law. Is it because he thinks he is special and was in a sit com so deserves to be treated as a faded star, or because he was an old trotter clan member he thinks he can play the field as they used to in the program.

na lets go down the old pig and whistle and drop some tunes in the sun and sod this hardwork as a taxi man, I hope he was not thinking that.

A story not worth the space it was given.

29 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

<snip>

I’m not sure that a cash-in-hand job DJing at the Pig & Whistle in Benidorm, and some temporary accommodation would cut the mustard with the Spanish authorities; surely they are aware of people using this route and would be reasonably stringent

He cannot use Surinder Singh for he and his family to enter Spain because he is not a Spanish national who has been exercising an economic treaty right in another member state or Switzerland. However, under the directive he can work in Spain and his wife and son can join him there. Basically, all he has to do is satisfy the Spanish that he is exercising an economic treaty right, e.g. working, and can support himself and his family without becoming a burden upon the Spanish state.

Using the Surinder Singh route to return to the UK after exercising a treaty right in Spain is of no concern to the Spanish authorities! It is a matter for UKVI, although they have to abide by the directive and subsequent ECJ judgements, and I have linked to their requirements above.

As for his employment status, accommodation and method of receiving his wages in Spain; obviously it all has to be legal and above board. But you have absolutely no more idea about whether he is working and being paid legally there or not than I or anyone else here. Even if he is paid in cash, you have no reason to believe that he is being paid illegally and is not paying whatever Spanish taxes are required of him. 

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Ok, but some countries specify a minimum income, Spain does not seem to mind as long as the EU citizen is employed.

Any idea which? I'm not sure if so doing is allowed under the directive.

On 17/09/2017 at 2:09 PM, MickTurator said:

Only if they were married before the birth.

I fell foul of that law and it has plagued me and my daughter for the rest of our lives.

I also fell foul of that law but still managed to get my daughter a British passport I have never been married

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

He cannot use Surinder Singh for he and his family to enter Spain because he is not a Spanish national who has been exercising an economic treaty right in another member state or Switzerland. However, under the directive he can work in Spain and his wife and son can join him there. Basically, all he has to do is satisfy the Spanish that he is exercising an economic treaty right, e.g. working, and can support himself and his family without becoming a burden upon the Spanish state.

Using the Surinder Singh route to return to the UK after exercising a treaty right in Spain is of no concern to the Spanish authorities! It is a matter for UKVI, although they have to abide by the directive and subsequent ECJ judgements, and I have linked to their requirements above.

As for his employment status, accommodation and method of receiving his wages in Spain; obviously it all has to be legal and above board. But you have absolutely no more idea about whether he is working and being paid legally there or not than I or anyone else here. Even if he is paid in cash, you have no reason to believe that he is being paid illegally and is not paying whatever Spanish taxes are required of him. 

“Even if he is paid in cash, you have no reason to believe that he is being paid illegally and is not paying whatever Spanish taxes are required of him”

…….. meanwhile, in the real world, you have no reason to believe otherwise 

However, I have seen nothing to suggest that he went to Spain to utilise the Surinder Singh route, absolutely nothing whatsoever. 

There is nothing in the article that mentions it; so it would appear to merely be something that you are obsessed with, and nothing to do with why Mr Murray went to Spain, or his complaint that the UK government are somehow to blame for his wife and daughter not being able to join him in the UK …… or Spain, or wherever he happens to be right now  …..

10 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

“Even if he is paid in cash, you have no reason to believe that he is being paid illegally and is not paying whatever Spanish taxes are required of him”

…….. meanwhile, in the real world, you have no reason to believe otherwise 

However, I have seen nothing to suggest that he went to Spain to utilise the Surinder Singh route, absolutely nothing whatsoever. 

There is nothing in the article that mentions it; so it would appear to merely be something that you are obsessed with, and nothing to do with why Mr Murray went to Spain, or his complaint that the UK government are somehow to blame for his wife and daughter not being able to join him in the UK …… or Spain, or wherever he happens to be right now  …..

If there were anything to suggest that he did go to Spain to utilise the Singh route later to the Uk then she would be refused, it is not open for abuse.  If he wants to use that route then they must settle in to Spain, learn the language, get involved in the community, then "change their mind" and head back to the UK, that is the only way.

19 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

If there were anything to suggest that he did go to Spain to utilise the Singh route later to the Uk then she would be refused, it is not open for abuse.  If he wants to use that route then they must settle in to Spain, learn the language, get involved in the community, then "change their mind" and head back to the UK, that is the only way.

Thank you ...... that is how I understood it to be from my albeit brief research. I will need a lot of convincing that he went to Spain for that reason, and there has not been anything to persuade me yet, which is why I am perplexed as to why this entry route is being discussed so much .......