Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

It's not only refugees, economic migrants who cam claim benefits,there are other exceptions also.

Please can you elaborate and explain what is available to 'refugees', 'economic migrants' and the 'other exceptions' who claim benefits? The definition of 'refugees', 'economic migrants' and the 'other exceptions'? and what they are entitled to?

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

It's not only refugees, economic migrants who cam claim benefits,there are other exceptions also. But you are correct she, being the wife/partner of a British citizen would not be entitled for the first 5yrs.

Which is why it seems wrong!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

Please can you elaborate and explain what is available to 'refugees', 'economic migrants' and the 'other exceptions' who claim benefits? The definition of 'refugees', 'economic migrants' and the 'other exceptions'? and what they are entitled to?

"The definition of 'refugees', 'economic migrants' and the 'other exceptions " is a generic term used by disaffected citizens to justify shooting one's self on the foot while supporting brexit.

• Confused 1

On 9/20/2017 at 1:43 PM, Jip99 said:

About 65 million at the last count including hordes from eastern Europe.

So popular they are queuing up on the French side.

Well, Britain was seen as the leading light of liberalism in Europe, land of opportunity. Now this light seems to be fading and we will all miss it. And as we can see here the rise of populism hurts also small British people.

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

Well, Britain was seen as the leading light of liberalism in Europe, land of opportunity. Now this light seems to be fading and we will all miss it. And as we can see here the rise of populism hurts also small British people.

"small british people"? i thought they were of an average size . . . also. i think you will find by brexit the "small" british people were the first to stand up and say that whats going on in europe is wrong. i could be wrong. not often mind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

"small british people"? i thought they were of an average size . . . also. i think you will find by brexit the "small" british people were the first to stand up and say that whats going on in europe is wrong. i could be wrong. not often mind

A mix of small and large will give you an average... And as far as I am concerned Europe is the way to go, borders are only limitations of people's minds.. But I am getting off topic.

12 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

If he establishes himself in the EU exercising his treaty rights, then he could bypass the minimum income threshold

Sorry, but what are you talking about, he is already established in the EU, he is a British citizen and Britain is a member of both the EU and the EEA, leastways until, or if we eventually leave ……. and what treaty rights can he invoke ?? 

30 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Sorry, but what are you talking about, he is already established in the EU, he is a British citizen and Britain is a member of both the EU and the EEA, leastways until, or if we eventually leave ……. and what treaty rights can he invoke ?? 

The Freedom of Movement, 

I am not going to go through the various EU and Non EU immigration rules.

12 hours ago, rasg said:

I was reading between the lines based on my reasonable knowledge of the visa system. You were calling him a loser. Not quite the same thing without meeting or knowing anything about his situation.

I didn't call him a loser, I called him a chancer, not quite the same thing, don't you know. He knew exactly what he needed to do to facilitate a visa application for his wife, but chose to only work 10 months out of the first financial year that he was back in the UK.

I’m sure most of us think that he is a nice amiable guy, but that does not exempt you from the law, anymore than celebrity status does. This gives him the appearance of not wanting to help himself very much, and could lead a cynic to suggest that he did not even want to achieve the minimum income requirement; because with achieving that requirement comes another problem ….. you then have to pay the income tax assessed on that amount.

I ran my own business as a sole trader in a London fruit market for 25 years, and consequently have great experience of filing self employed tax returns. I opened a savings account separate from my business account and created a standing order to make monthly payments into it from my business account, in order to create a fund for the payment of my annual tax assessment …….. I’m not sure that Mr Murray has the organisational skills to do such a thing. Do you remember the theme song from Only fools and horses ??

No income tax
No VAT
No money back
No guarantee

Ha ha  

"Only Fools and Horses Work", an old cockney saying implying that if you're smart you'll find a way of making a living without resorting to hard graft. Only simpletons and dumb beasts would actually WORK for a living..............:coffee1:

47 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The Freedom of Movement, 

I am not going to go through the various EU and Non EU immigration rules.

You said ..... "If he establishes himself in the EU exercising his treaty rights, then he could bypass the minimum income threshold" ..... which doesn't make any sense; as I say he is already established in the EU as a British citizen. He has freedom of movement within all 28 member states, but this does not allow him to somehow bypass the minimum income threshold 

5 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I didn't call him a loser, I called him a chancer, not quite the same thing, don't you know. He knew exactly what he needed to do to facilitate a visa application for his wife, but chose to only work 10 months out of the first financial year that he was back in the UK.

I’m sure most of us think that he is a nice amiable guy, but that does not exempt you from the law, anymore than celebrity status does. This gives him the appearance of not wanting to help himself very much, and could lead a cynic to suggest that he did not even want to achieve the minimum income requirement; because with achieving that requirement comes another problem ….. you then have to pay the income tax assessed on that amount.

I ran my own business as a sole trader in a London fruit market for 25 years, and consequently have great experience of filing self employed tax returns. I opened a savings account separate from my business account and created a standing order to make monthly payments into it from my business account, in order to create a fund for the payment of my annual tax assessment …….. I’m not sure that Mr Murray has the organisational skills to do such a thing. Do you remember the theme song from Only fools and horses ??

No income tax
No VAT
No money back
No guarantee

Ha ha  

Here is what I think happened based on my own experiences. When I asked my Thai GF to marry me back in 2015/16 and bring her to the UK. I did quite a bit of research to find out how easy the process was. By that point we had already had two visit visas in less than six months so her 180 days were almost up.

I was explaining the visa process to members of my family and to friends and none of them had any idea that visas were even needed after we were married. They were all quote shocked.

I remember listening to 5Live one morning and one of the presenters was talking on a phone-in to somebody who was marrying somebody from outside the EU. The presenter (I think it was Danny Baker) had no idea at all about the visas rules for this country. The newspapers that ran the Patrick Murray story were full of inaccuracies in their stories. These people are trained journalists who are used to research and digging up stories.

Until they find out the reality of the visa system of this country I think that the majority of people in this country simply assume that being married will mean they can bring their partner to this country. Wherever they are from. Many have said exactly that when I explained it to them. It's only when you meet somebody from outside the EU and want to bring them to this country for a holiday, or to live here, that people find out that it's not that simple and there are many hoops to jump through.

I think you are a mixing the TV character, Mickey Pearce up with just a normal bloke, Patrick Murray, who found that the visa system in this country is not simple and you do have meet many different criteria, financial and otherwise. I just think he found out after he got married.

The reason many of the Thai forums even exist or even started were created to help people in the same situation because the system is not easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rasg said:

Here is what I think happened based on my own experiences. When I asked my Thai GF to marry me back in 2015/16 and bring her to the UK. I did quite a bit of research to find out how easy the process was. By that point we had already had two visit visas in less than six months so her 180 days were almost up.

I was explaining the visa process to members of my family and to friends and none of them had any idea that visas were even needed after we were married. They were all quote shocked.

I remember listening to 5Live one morning and one of the presenters was talking on a phone-in to somebody who was marrying somebody from outside the EU. The presenter (I think it was Danny Baker) had no idea at all about the visas rules for this country. The newspapers that ran the Patrick Murray story were full of inaccuracies in their stories. These people are trained journalists who are used to research and digging up stories.

Until they find out the reality of the visa system of this country I think that the majority of people in this country simply assume that being married will mean they can bring their partner to this country. Wherever they are from. Many have said exactly that when I explained it to them. It's only when you meet somebody from outside the EU and want to bring them to this country for a holiday, or to live here, that people find out that it's not that simple and there are many hoops to jump through.

I think you are a mixing the TV character, Mickey Pearce up with just a normal bloke, Patrick Murray, who found that the visa system in this country is not simple and you do have meet many different criteria, financial and otherwise. I just think he found out after he got married.

The reason many of the Thai forums even exist or even started were created to help people in the same situation because the system is not easy.

This is quite plausible.  He could simply have distantly known someone who'd done the same a few years ago.  Or it's possible that he only began to formulate the idea of moving the family to UK when work didn't pan out in Thailand.  As for his stint in Spain, I can imagine that on arriving back to Blighty he suddenly woke up to the fact that he needed money quickly and a lot of it, so he tried to resurrect his former screen character with the help of a former agent, or long time friend who operates in the club scene.  Perhaps it failed, and he returned to UK and then got on with the cabbying with greater intent.

Some posters have characterized him as a cynical player of the system who is out to secure as many benefits as he can so he can avoid work and taxes, after all, only fools and horses....  Personally, even if he does duck and dive I find this most unfair.  If nothing else, we simply don't know.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2017 at 10:25 PM, nontabury said:

It's not only refugees, economic migrants who cam claim benefits,there are other exceptions also. But you are correct she, being the wife/partner of a British citizen would not be entitled for the first 5yrs.

No one can claim anything immediately other than refugees, economic migrant is a bit of a general term, I guess I am one in Thailand, those who go to the UK to work are economic migrants, and none of them can claim before they have worked and until they pass the habitual residency test, they must be able to demonstrate that they have strong ties to the UK, it was the case that EU immigrants could claim after just 3 months of working but that changed last year and now they can't until they have been in the UK for 4 years, it remains 5 years for non EU immigrants.

14 hours ago, mommysboy said:

This is quite plausible.  He could simply have distantly known someone who'd done the same a few years ago.  Or it's possible that he only began to formulate the idea of moving the family to UK when work didn't pan out in Thailand.  As for his stint in Spain, I can imagine that on arriving back to Blighty he suddenly woke up to the fact that he needed money quickly and a lot of it, so he tried to resurrect his former screen character with the help of a former agent, or long time friend who operates in the club scene.  Perhaps it failed, and he returned to UK and then got on with the cabbying with greater intent.

Some posters have characterized him as a cynical player of the system who is out to secure as many benefits as he can so he can avoid work and taxes, after all, only fools and horses....  Personally, even if he does duck and dive I find this most unfair.  If nothing else, we simply don't know.

For someone that expects everyone else to use only facts, you've really indulged in some delusional speculation here ……

**Or it's possible that he only began to formulate the idea of moving the family to UK when work didn't pan out in Thailand**

……. do you mean when lazing around until his money ran out didn't pan out in Thailand ??  What evidence do you have that he worked in Thailand, or even acquired a work visa, because I can't find any and I have researched. We don't know what he did between 2013 and going back in April 2016, but there is no evidence or even a suggestion from himself that he worked.

**As for his stint in Spain, I can imagine that on arriving back to Blighty he suddenly woke up to the fact that he needed money quickly and a lot of it, so he tried to resurrect his former screen character with the help of a former agent, or long time friend who operates in the club scene**

Wrong …..  he arrived back in the UK in April 2016, but did not arrive in Alicante until 21 February 2017. In case it escaped your notice, that is 10 months into the financial year in which he needed to achieve the minimum income criteria; as for resurrecting his former bit-part character from 30 years ago to earn money quickly and a lot of it, Jesus, what are you thinking ….. a Pub in Benidorm, €30 per night and a few beers, if he’s really lucky. I mean, please tell me what he can do that anyone would actually want to pay him ANYTHING for ??  ………. Wearing a spiv’s titfer and spouting a few lines in a cockney accent !! 

However, what is more remarkable about your speculation is that after all the comments that have been made, you still don't seem to understand that his earnings need to in be the UK and not in Spain, and they need to be shown on an inland revenue self employed tax return, so going to Spain was completely and utterly irresponsible .  

Are you also aware that having been in Thailand since 2013, they only got married in April 2016, days before he returned to the UK ?? …… and do we know if his alleged marriage was legal, did he gat an Affirmation of Marriage letter from the UK embassy in Bangkok, have it translated by a licensed translator and legalised by the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs before submitting it to a District Office, or did they just do what many Thai's do, just have the wedding party …… we don't know, because the only information in the post and in the Mirror article is information that he has drip fed them, in order to evoke sympathy. The Mirror has just acted as a soap box for him, very poor journalism ……… and I notice he didn't tell any of the journalists about his jolly in Spain. He ran away from Thailand, and then ran away from the UK, if he was an ordinary Joe, you would see straight through him

20 hours ago, rasg said:

**** I just think he found out after he got married****   that was pretty dumb and incredibly irresponsible then , because they didn't get married until April 2016, just days before he fled back to the UK 

....... his daughter was born in November 2014 so you think he would have had the decency to get married before she was born ........ 

11 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

For someone that expects everyone else to use only facts, you've really indulged in some delusional speculation here ……

**Or it's possible that he only began to formulate the idea of moving the family to UK when work didn't pan out in Thailand**

……. do you mean when lazing around until his money ran out didn't pan out in Thailand ??  What evidence do you have that he worked in Thailand, or even acquired a work visa, because I can't find any and I have researched. We don't know what he did between 2013 and going back in April 2016, but there is no evidence or even a suggestion from himself that he worked.

**As for his stint in Spain, I can imagine that on arriving back to Blighty he suddenly woke up to the fact that he needed money quickly and a lot of it, so he tried to resurrect his former screen character with the help of a former agent, or long time friend who operates in the club scene**

Wrong …..  he arrived back in the UK in April 2016, but did not arrive in Alicante until 21 February 2017. In case it escaped your notice, that is 10 months into the financial year in which he needed to achieve the minimum income criteria; as for resurrecting his former bit-part character from 30 years ago to earn money quickly and a lot of it, Jesus, what are you thinking ….. a Pub in Benidorm, €30 per night and a few beers, if he’s really lucky. I mean, please tell me what he can do that anyone would actually want to pay him ANYTHING for ??  ………. Wearing a spiv’s titfer and spouting a few lines in a cockney accent !! 

However, what is more remarkable about your speculation is that after all the comments that have been made, you still don't seem to understand that his earnings need to in be the UK and not in Spain, and they need to be shown on an inland revenue self employed tax return, so going to Spain was completely and utterly irresponsible .  

Are you also aware that having been in Thailand since 2013, they only got married in April 2016, days before he returned to the UK ?? …… and do we know if his alleged marriage was legal, did he gat an Affirmation of Marriage letter from the UK embassy in Bangkok, have it translated by a licensed translator and legalised by the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs before submitting it to a District Office, or did they just do what many Thai's do, just have the wedding party …… we don't know, because the only information in the post and in the Mirror article is information that he has drip fed them, in order to evoke sympathy. The Mirror has just acted as a soap box for him, very poor journalism ……… and I notice he didn't tell any of the journalists about his jolly in Spain. He ran away from Thailand, and then ran away from the UK, if he was an ordinary Joe, you would see straight through him

I do not associate with this poster.

13 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

does he have a few points or not?

Of course, but in order to be cogent one also has to present a reasonable overall stance.  Constantly deriding and casting aspersions makes it impossible to respond to the postings.  But you decide for yourself, and lets not waste time on this.

On 9/23/2017 at 10:37 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You said ..... "If he establishes himself in the EU exercising his treaty rights, then he could bypass the minimum income threshold" ..... which doesn't make any sense; as I say he is already established in the EU as a British citizen. He has freedom of movement within all 28 member states, but this does not allow him to somehow bypass the minimum income threshold 

An understanding of the EU FoM immigration rules and requirements is necessary to comprehend , establish himself exercising his treaty rights

The Surinder Singh route is now firmly established

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh

On returning to the UK the British National does not have to be employed , but looking for work

If they’ve been back in the UK for more than 3 months, they must also be working, looking for work, self-employed, self-sufficient or studying in the UK. '

34 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Of course, but in order to be cogent one also has to present a reasonable overall stance.  Constantly deriding and casting aspersions makes it impossible to respond to the postings.  But you decide for yourself, and lets not waste time on this.

you just did right

3 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

cotswolds, beautiful

Yes that's true but the PC nanny state does not balance a nice view. Britain has changed out of all recognition from when I was young with immigration changing the face of the country, increased crime and so many rules and regulations you can't even fart without a permit.