Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Only Fools and Horses star reveals heartbreak as Thai wife banned from the UK

rooster59

44 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

What is wrong with me?

What is wrong with you, more like!

I answered your questions, I provided links to the relevant directives and regulations; yet you would not accept those answers because they proved you to be wrong.

Which is what I have been telling you from the very beginning!

32 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Wrong about what?  I just wanted my question answered, it was your funny take on it, a silly little fantasy you had of me, that said to you that I was arguing with you, I was actually questioning, asking what it changed, as I took the statement of having to prove not to be a burden as being more than it was, an assumption on my part that that would be measured in the same way as the spouse visas own requirement, having not read the extended parts of the legislation which I had not yet found.  I also found that there is a minimum time needed to be spent in the third country which you denied existed, it is 3 months as I originally stated I had heard, so perhaps you are not the best person to be asking advice from as you have clearly not read it in its entirety anyway. 

I think you two need to meet behind the cycle shed and have a ‘straightner’  …. no blades and no knuckle dusters ?

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/10/2017 at 10:51 AM, elviajero said:

Sanctimonious much! 

You no nothing about this person. He could have £50K in his bank and still not qualify as a sponsor. A woman that is married to a Brit (birthright), and the mother of a Brit (birthright), should be able to live with her family automatically by right. The system is shot because of all the immigration mistakes of the past, and families like this are suffering.

He is simply complaining about the time he has to wait before the home office will accept proof of his income, and yet there are pages and pages of assumption, judgement and insults. All this "irresponsible chancer" wants is to live with his family in the UK instead of Thailand. Unbelievable!

Well come on then elviajero  ...... I've responded to your comment in detail, but you seem to have vaporised. I have noticed with you in previous comments, that as soon as you think you are not winning a debate, you simply disappear .......... 

8 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well come on then elviajero  ...... I've responded to your comment in detail, but you seem to have vaporised. I have noticed with you in previous comments, that as soon as you think you are not winning a debate, you simply disappear .......... 

It's not a debate with you ranting on about somebody you have never met and know nothing about.

He got bored with your holier than thou attitude, I think.

I am officially out of this thread.

26 minutes ago, rasg said:

It's not a debate with you ranting on about somebody you have never met and know nothing about.

He got bored with your holier than thou attitude, I think.

I am officially out of this thread.

do you understand the word ranting, I hope so because you have just used it, but I still have grave doubts about your understanding of most of the words that you use 

"He got bored with your holier than thou attitude, I think." ...... you don't think, it is a recurring problem that you seem to have. 

"I am officially out of this thread." ......... you are not officially anything, how did you ever come to think that you were ????      ?????   ??

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

After this, people would need to think twice before saying Thailand has harsh immigration rules !!

They do compared to the UK. It may be considerably harder to get a visa for the UK for a Thai than it is for a Brit to get a visa for Thailand, but the visa the Thai gets from the UK is of far greater quality. A UK settlement visa is issued and gives the holder 33 months of unhindered access to the country, they get given a Biometric Residency Permit (which is waiting for them to collect from the post office) immediately on arrival which enables them to legally work in the UK. Towards the end of the 33 months they go to an office and extend the stay (Further Leave to Remain), agin they are given 33 months, towards the end of that they apply again but for Indefinite Leave to Remain and after a total of 5 years they can apply for a British passport.

The Brit goes to Thailand and has to keep extending their non immigrant visa every year, remember it's a NON immigrant visa, they are making it very clear you are NOT an immigrant.

Of course the Brit could apply for citizenship or PR status but that comes with a load of rubbish attached.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 1:05 PM, champers said:

A rule that is likely to be defunct post Brexit. I feel for him; I hope he can find a solution.

I would have thought that royalties from endless repeats of Only Fools and Horses would keep the money rolling in. Maybe not.

Never mind this time next year they’ll be Millionaires!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 2:52 PM, JAG said:

The rules were changed, the year after my daughter was born (2006? - the rule change, I know to.the second when my daughter was born!)

I subsequently married my daughters mother. Lucy has a western name, and my surname on her birth certificate, and her Thai ID card. I am advised, and understand from reading the rules that she may be awarded British citizenship, but it is discretionary, requires a (non refundable) fee of just under £1000, and there is no appeal.

My first enquiry about the matter, made through the consular department of the embassy in Bangkok was met with a blank refusal. I am now intending to make the application in the new year, when I will have the money.

I am not really prepared to stump up the cash until I have a clear indication of exactly what the discretionary conditions are, and how transparent is the application, (£1000 is a lot of cash for a teacher!)

Two letters to the UK home office asking for that information that have gone unanswered.

People moan about frozen pensions, and I understand and agree, but even more egregious in my opinion is the way the immigration rules are applied to our children.

Totally agree. It can be riling! I had issues in the beginning getting my daughter her British passport, but with some concerted effort and assistance from an agent here in BKK, I managed it.

Is it not possible for you to simply apply for a UK passport for your daughter now? As the rules have relaxed on this issue. As long as you can prove your parents' British citizenship as well as your own (simply by providing Birth Certs) and provided your name is on the birth cert of your daughter here in Thailand - along with your wife's ID/passport, that is all that should be required to make your daughter a UK passport, this was the case for me and mine. Passport is after all the same thing as citizenship - it is of course one simple way of proving your citizenship, in the UK.

Excuse me if I'm mistaken about this, but I'm not aware that there is any impediment to a person applying for a UK passport after the rules changed, even if they were born before that date - IF - they can satisfy the necessary criteria.

In any case, good luck.

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Totally agree. It can be riling! I had issues in the beginning getting my daughter her British passport, but with some concerted effort and assistance from an agent here in BKK, I managed it.

Is it not possible for you to simply apply for a UK passport for your daughter now? As the rules have relaxed on this issue. As long as you can prove your parents' British citizenship as well as your own (simply by providing Birth Certs) and provided your name is on the birth cert of your daughter here in Thailand - along with your wife's ID/passport, that is all that should be required to make your daughter a UK passport, this was the case for me and mine. Passport is after all the same thing as citizenship - it is of course one simple way of proving your citizenship, in the UK.

Excuse me if I'm mistaken about this, but I'm not aware that there is any impediment to a person applying for a UK passport after the rules changed, even if they were born before that date - IF - they can satisfy the necessary criteria.

In any case, good luck.

Thank you - I will follow this up.

On 9/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, sanemax said:

Which rules were different ?

UK Asians were bringing wifes back to the UK , as were British bringing mail order brides back .

Were they actual different rules for different people ?

Yes, the Sub Continental, ex colonial countries had different rules about bringing over families, hence the large influx of Indian and Pakistani families in the 1960s/70s.  The breadwinner was allowed to bring all his family members to the UK, including siblings and even Grandparents. It was a different time. They mostly became the bed rock of many lively communities throughout the UK. 

On 9/17/2017 at 1:23 PM, mercman24 said:

typical,, here is a hardworking guy scratching a living and is solvent, not a burden,  ( and to think his tax is giving money to absolute wasters)but its ok if you rock up on our shores on a banana boat with jack shit money in your pocket, we will give you hundreds of pounds and a <deleted> house as well .

Same in Australia mate.

On 9/17/2017 at 1:23 PM, mercman24 said:

typical,, here is a hardworking guy scratching a living and is solvent, not a burden,  ( and to think his tax is giving money to absolute wasters)but its ok if you rock up on our shores on a banana boat with jack shit money in your pocket, we will give you hundreds of pounds and a <deleted> house as well .

Sickens me so unfair. Thank goodness ( I can afford a visa) to live here in Paradise with my beautiful Thai wife. Teresa May has a lot to answer for, as Home Secretary, she ruined the Police Force and now on top of that, she is ruining our once Great Country, so sad.

5 minutes ago, The Names Bond said:

Sickens me so unfair. Thank goodness ( I can afford a visa) to live here in Paradise with my beautiful Thai wife. Teresa May has a lot to answer for, as Home Secretary, she ruined the Police Force and now on top of that, she is ruining our once Great Country, so sad.

If "Micky" could financially support his gf and kid in the UK , she would be allowed in

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, JAG said:

Thank you - I will follow this up.

I obtained one for my Thai daughter about two years ago using an agent who advertises on this site.

No problem at all and was delivered in under two weeks from memory.

As we live in the North it saved two visits to Bangkok by plane and two overnight stays.

Archived