New beer prices

aussiesteve63

57 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

My Ma/Pa shop prices went up 5 baht leo(65) and 5 baht local cigs.(70)

My local shop is now making(or were)38% margin on a case of leo.

If at the end of the day the M&P shops have raked in an extra 50 or 70 baht a day from beer sales before the government takes it a way, they're welcome to it. If anyone is distressed about encouraging profiteering, they can always shop for beer at the supermarkets until the final 'recommended retail' prices are officially published.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Sounds like the tiered alcohol pricing I have seen in Singapore bars located in the tourist trap areas like Orchard where it is cheaper in the arvo but maybe double the price by midnight? They claimed it was to discourage excessive drinking (and driving?) as a night out drew to a close. The old, "drink's in, wit's out" mantra. We trumped the 'system' by playing Western Australia (Perth) rules of leaving the office on Friday for a long lunch and just not going back. Usually managed to stagger home by tea time. Left the weekends to the real tourists.

Been happening for years in Patraya thatt particular bar says the charge extra as they have live music on! Used to go next door which is now a bloody burger bar was a gogo bar of sorts. Was only 65 bht in there till 2200 by which time after being out from 1500 i was saftey tucked up in my scratcher. 

6 minutes ago, wump said:

You seem to misunderstand something. These 38% are pure profit, no extra (excise) tax has to be paid on it. 18 Baht profit a beer certainly adds up to more than 50-70 Baht a day.

Stop swearing (TAX) LOL. Even at the old price we still turn a very health profit on beer and white whiskey.

8 minutes ago, wump said:

You seem to misunderstand something. These 38% are pure profit, no extra (excise) tax has to be paid on it. 18 Baht profit a beer certainly adds up to more than 50-70 Baht a day.

Stop swearing (TAX) LOL. Even at the old price we still turn a very health profit on beer and white whiskey.

6 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Breakfast specials?

No. in the evening. It's a good place to watch the sunset and the view of the two restaurant boats and other illuminated sea craft. The IBar also has a decent restaurant next to it. FLs gather at the bar too.

9 hours ago, wump said:

These small bottles are the worst invention ever. I try to avoid bars not selling big ones but it's getting pretty tough. Why should I pay 30% more just so the bar can sell more of their silly small bottles? Why not offer both sizes?

FYI, in proper Thai places you can't even get small bottles. This is all a farang and a rip-off thing.

You have a point. When I travel around Issan I take my own whiskey, even to night clubs, and they provide ice, glasses and soda. No such system in Pattaya or Bangkok.  Mores the pity! 

8 minutes ago, The manic said:

You have a point. When I travel around Issan I take my own whiskey, even to night clubs, and they provide ice, glasses and soda. No such system in Pattaya or Bangkok.  Mores the pity! 

Yes there is been in loads of bars with my own bottle pay for soft drinks and ice and a very small corkedge charge. 

11 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes there is been in loads of bars with my own bottle pay for soft drinks and ice and a very small corkedge charge. 

Sounds good.  Did you buy your booze at a shop or supermarket?  If so can you tell me any places to which I can bring my own booze in Pattaya? Thanks.

16 minutes ago, The manic said:

Sounds good.  Did you buy your booze at a shop or supermarket?  If so can you tell me any places to which I can bring my own booze in Pattaya? Thanks.

I take my spirits down with me when we go down to our condo down there. Bars Red cat bar. Poppy 1 and poppy 2.  Barracuda bar and a few others going twds Naklua.

2 hours ago, wump said:

If it bothers you so much, why are you still buying cases of Leo from them? There's no profiteering at Tesco's or Big C.

2 hours ago, wump said:

Isn't that the idea of business - to make a profit? Supply a service or product that people will pay for?

Part of that service may be the convenience of it.

Edited by tryasimight

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If it bothers you so much, why are you still buying cases of Leo from them? There's no profiteering at Tesco's or Big C.

Lol no profiteering at Tesc or big C your aving a laugh. How much per case do you think they buy it in for.

12 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Lol no profiteering at Tesc or big C your aving a laugh. How much per case do you think they buy it in for.

And the profits made by Tesco or Big C are nothing compared with what the brewer pockets. But you miss the point. So far there's been several references to mom and pop stores gouging in lieu of formal notice of the new tax levies (aka profiteering). Beyond your comment quoted above, nobody else is having a cow about what Tesco or Big C's charges (aka commerce).

You can always buy wholesale if you qualify.

Bought a three pack of Leo  tonight  at Tesco lotus   , 164 bht , up from 155 bht. 

The  end is  nigh ,   Lao  cow ,   think thai enjoy  Kap .

Edited by elliss

As an add on to my previous posts (Big Leo 55 to 57, can of Leo in another shop from 36 to 40) I walked by another this evening (yeah okay I bought one as I was too shy to poke my nose in and not buy) and they were 55 baht and are still 55 baht.  All these shops are within a minute or two from each other, so some immediately chose to take on the new ruling with same stock, and it would appear that others are selling the same stock at the same price, and I would expect it to go up a little when they have new stock.  Others are grabbing.

The difference in price is not of importance as it is 'dust', but the difference of the business model says a lot.  I'll give my business to the straight traders from now onwards (small increase as I expected, or same until stock is replaced, both good actors), because as previously mentioned, I think in percentages in this kind of scenario, not prices, and I can now see the good actors from the bad, which was invisible to me previously.

Edited by Shiver

14 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Sounds like your mrs has a shop.

There was talk about the license to sell alcohol going up from 2,000 baht to 50,000.

Or is that just a furfy and business as usual.

33 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

There was talk about the license to sell alcohol going up from 2,000 baht to 50,000.

That's 140 Baht a day. At the usual minimart markup of 17% that would be like the previous profit of the first 15 big beers sold each day going directly to the government if current markups were to remain. Unlikely.

41 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Total rubish as usual i suspect the mrs is the only shop selling beer in village that has a licence to sell it. Probably why they ask us to sell it to them as well.

Edited by jeab1980

On 9/19/2017 at 10:48 AM, Jip99 said:

If prices are the most important factor then choose the right places to drink....... Sutus Court bar and Katisiree were selling large LEO/Chang @ 65 Baht before the tax rise.

And several others. The Greenery bar near the market was 60 Baht last week for a large Chang.

1 hour ago, craftyhen said:

Large Laos khao’s up by 40 baht in the village I visit, Chang 55 to 65. Surely a panic by the owners then prices drop again? 

My village put the price up for 1 day then dropped it back.

Smart enough to know where their bread is buttered.

I wrote last week that a m&p shop that was 55 baht for Large Leo had gone to 57 baht.  Next time it was the husband that did the transaction and it was 55 baht again, then last night it was his wife and it was 60 baht.

Ass...meet elbow.

Walked through a Makro and a Tesco today.

Didn't look like the 12 big bottle boxes of LEO or Chang have yet increased and there was no shortage.

Only new (to me) was the 15 big bottle box of Chang Classic.

Maybe this will become the lone choice?

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Walked through a Makro and a Tesco today.

Didn't look like the 12 big bottle boxes of LEO or Chang have yet increased and there was no shortage.

Only new (to me) was the 15 big bottle box of ,..Chang Classic.

Maybe this will become the lone choice?

We always buy the 15 box chang classic from Makro works out cheaper in bulk with more profit per case.

On 22/09/2017 at 8:46 PM, farmerjo said:

My village put the price up for 1 day then dropped it back.

Smart enough to know where their bread is buttered.

Well for 3 days,now it's raised again they just lost 2,500 a month.

They know we have a car,they know we travel to Makro weekly.

Not sure what there thinking.

My local beverage shop today charged 584 for a box of LEO, 12 big bottles after 570.

A crate with 24 bottles of Singha Soda(!) (0.4l) has risen to 135 from 125. Why that?

Maybe he just took the chance to adapt to other shops that charged this before :whistling:

Not only alcohol prices were raised ( according to bangkok post ), but also coffee, fruit drinks, carbonated sugar drinks, carbonated sugar free drinks, cigarettes.

I can not post the link here, but if you google "bangkok post new excise tax" you should be able to see everything that got a tax hike.

Seems like nothing dramatic though...~1-2 Baht per bottle. Why on earth somebody would refuse to shop at their local village store because they raised their price is beyond me. Does somebody really expect the local business to "carry" that hike themselves? Unless the local village raised the price for beer more than 3-4 baht per bottle.