ccleaner - uh-oh!

bendejo

From article http://techcrunch.com/2017/09/18/avast-reckons-ccleaner-malware-infected-2-27m-users

Users of a free software tool designed to optimize system performance on Windows PCs and Android mobile devices got a nasty shock this morning when Piriform, the company which makes the CCleaner tool, revealed in a blog post that certain versions of the software had been compromised by hackers — and that malicious, data-harvesting software had piggybacked on its installer program.

The affected versions of the software are CCleaner 5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud 1.07.3191.

The company is urging users to upgrade to version 5.34 or higher (which it says is available for download here).

When a major security firm provides users hacked software I shake my head.

face-palm_1f926.png

Avast acquires Piriform, maker of CCleaner

Redwood City, California, July 19, 2017 – Avast, the global leader in digital security products, today announced that it has acquired Piriform, the leading provider of device performance optimization software. Founded and based in London, UK, Piriform’s flagship product, CCleaner, speeds up PCs and smartphones by intelligently removing junk and improving the performance of computers and phones.

With today's computers and operating systems there really is no need (yes I know my opinion).  Will work fine without and less chance of making an error is my view.  Almost all of us have plenty of memory/storage available today - not like it use to be several decades ago.

Well I'm staying with CCleaner. I've got 64 bit Windows 10 so it wasn't affected, but I am still alarmed that one of the key o/s clean up security tools allowed this to happen or maybe it was Avast takeover fake news to make them look good? 

Until now tho I haven't found a less adware intrusive free product so I'll give CCleaner the benefit of doubt for time being to keep the junk levels down.

16 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Well I'm staying with CCleaner. I've got 64 bit Windows 10 so it wasn't affected, but I am still alarmed that one of the key o/s clean up security tools allowed this to happen or maybe it was Avast takeover fake news to make them look good? 

Until now tho I haven't found a less adware intrusive free product so I'll give CCleaner the benefit of doubt for time being to keep the junk levels down.

How can I check and see if my computer is 32 or 64 bit?

Found it. I am actually also 64.

PC.jpg

Edited by ExpatOilWorker

Interestingly (or not) I decided to run Windows Defender Offline after reading about this in The Register. Bearing in mind neither Avast nor SuperAntiSpyware picked anything up the result of a complete scan with WDO (but not quick scan) was that I had Backdoor:Win32/Floxif.........now removed.

Worth running a full check to be certain.

4 hours ago, topt said:

Interestingly (or not) I decided to run Windows Defender Offline

Thanks for this, I didn't know about WDO.

Some of these PC apps come out with a new release every few weeks.  I'll check the release and usually pass if the new features involve things I don't use, like "improved cloud support."  Ccleaner is one of them, the install date on the version I'm running was last December.

I've gone on about this before in other posts, but what I like best about ccleaner is the ability to include/exclude particular files and directories in the cleanup.  E.g., audio-video editing tools create their own temp dirs that you may not know about unless you do some searching, and these things can get quite large.  I've been building on my ccleaner.ini file (where these things are specified) for some years and a few computers ago, probably back to XP.  Someday I'll clean it up.  :wink:

Back in ancient times (1980s) there was an opinion that viruses were created by companies that sold anti-virus software; one fellow I knew would go on about how this was McAffee's business model.  I wonder how many new users of Avast resulted from this announcement.

Edited by bendejo

and the hits just keep on coming!

CCleaner malware outbreak is much worse than it first appeared

Microsoft, Cisco, and VMWare among those infected with additional mystery payload.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/ccleaner-malware-outbreak-is-much-worse-than-it-first-appeared/

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, MJKT2014 said:

That explains a lot because even though I have also got the 64 bit W 10 version, twice over the past couple of weeks Bitdefender has picked up a Trojan in the update of CCleaner.........luckily it found them.