Fake 1000 baht notes: Pattaya police arrest three eastern Europeans

webfact

Fake 1000 baht notes: Pattaya police arrest three eastern Europeans

21558592_1656181844402743_3738241067830334961_n.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya's chief of police yesterday announced the arrest of three eastern European men.

While two were behind credit card fraud a third is believed to be involved in the spate of fake 1,000 baht notes at the resort.

Losses are believed to be 300,000 baht.

Apichai Krobpetch warned traders to be on the lookout for more fake notes in an indication that the cops may not yet have got the entire gang.

21617515_1656181931069401_4339143603455673294_n.jpg

The first two arrested were Russian Igor Britvich, 36, and Arman Shegelov of Kazakhstan. They were arrested after reports from a bank of suspicious activity at a department store in the resort where the men were using fake cards to purchase goods.

They both had fake cards and Shegelov had other incriminating items in his possession including a Citizen watch and two sales slips.

21617638_1656181937736067_2818287106066574976_n.jpg

Their arrest led to the inquiry being expanded and the arrest of 33 year old Bulgarian Peter Lipov. He was found with fake cards and two fake 1,000 baht notes matching the description of ones already used last week to defraud traders.

There were irregularities in the serial numbers.

Apichai warned shop owners to continue to be on the lookout for fake 1,000 baht notes.

Posters on the Sophon Cable TV page on Facebook once again moaned that the police should show the faces of suspects.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-19

Dumb.

1,000 notes always attact attention. I have lost count of the times when presenting a 1,000 note Thai's do not have the change for it, and usually end up running around to their mates gathering up the change therefore bringing ubwanted attention and more than likely scrutinising the 1,000 note. A clever approach would have been to replicate 500 or even 100 notes.

You just can't buy common sense.

10 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I was right when I said they are most likely not Arabs as some idiots described them.I was right when I said most likely east Europeans.So many idiots around....? 

You are simply a genious,  should immediately apply for the police job here in Pattaya 

Agree @SpeakEasyThai.  Smaller denominations would have been much easier to pass off.  

I would have thought that most of the largest denomination notes come from the bank/ATM before being split, so fakes would be less prevalent than if it were smaller notes, which would be passed around a lot more and diffused into the system before making it back to the bank.

Hope they don't "do a Modi" and use it as a reason to recall all large notes and screw both themselves and the people over at great expense to all.  I'm not sure they would be able to create a secure and inexpensive digital baht processing system yet, as it would likely have to be a phone based scanning system for smaller market and street vendors to use.  It's not exactly Japan where they are much more likely to know how to use and secure their cryptos.

38 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Dumb.

1,000 notes always attact attention. I have lost count of the times when presenting a 1,000 note Thai's do not have the change for it, and usually end up running around to their mates gathering up the change therefore bringing ubwanted attention and more than likely scrutinising the 1,000 note. A clever approach would have been to replicate 500 or even 100 notes.

The aim is to buy small item and get real change

Where does it state they were tourists ?

These are  just criminals who have picked a country where they can easily make, produce and use the local currency.

Thai visa is full of posters who are living in the country on other types of visa and look down on any one who has any form of short term visa with a holier than thou contemptuous attitude. Why?

There day of reckoning will come when local xenophobia really kicks in and the only visa available will be a 30 day one arrival....and maybe sooner than you might think.

51 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Dumb.

Nice to read that you are well situated with the problem at hand. I guess they will be checking you next time it regards the values you just described- :cheesy:

Hmmm i just looked at a few 1000 baht serial numbers on the older and newer style the alphabet letter doesn't correspond between Thai and Roman
so for example A is Gor Gai, B is kor Kai ,C should be Kor kuat but mine say Kor Kuai or Tor tahan
Hopefully these 30 notes I got from the bank yesterday aren't all fake !

1 hour ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Dumb.

1 hour ago, ICECOOL said:

The aim is to buy small item and get real change

Not even that. The people who produce them do not try to buy anything. Too high risk. They just sell 10,000 of these notes at 100 Baht each in one wholesale deal.

Before 1980, US $20 were easier to counterfeit than a US $1.00 bill - I was in the Army in Samae San 1972, the entire Army Base and Utapao was paid with counterfeit $20 bills............they had been brought from Bangkok by Chase Manhatten bank.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

They were arrested after reports from a bank of suspicious activity at a department store in the resort where the men were using fake cards to purchase goods.

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Yes indeed.....whete are alk the "knockers" now?.....the quiteness is beautiful.

I am a Pattaya police knocker having fallen foul of their dubious and devious practices which has cost me plenty.  If you check out the report above you will note it was the bank who deserves credit not the kwaistone cops.

3 hours ago, Shiver said:

Agree @SpeakEasyThai.  Smaller denominations would have been much easier to pass off.  

I would have thought that most of the largest denomination notes come from the bank/ATM before being split, so fakes would be less prevalent than if it were smaller notes, which would be passed around a lot more and diffused into the system before making it back to the bank.

Hope they don't "do a Modi" and use it as a reason to recall all large notes and screw both themselves and the people over at great expense to all.  I'm not sure they would be able to create a secure and inexpensive digital baht processing system yet, as it would likely have to be a phone based scanning system for smaller market and street vendors to use.  It's not exactly Japan where they are much more likely to know how to use and secure their cryptos.

In Hong Kong every $500 and $1000 note is slippef under a small ultraviolet scanner nearby the till at almost every shop and convenience store.

Quick and simple point of sale check

4 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Dumb.

Agreed, in the USA the most common counterfeit bills are $20's.

I recall a taxi driver tried to pass me a counterfeit ฿500 bill, as change.  There was no front face on it. I deducted ฿100 from his unmetered fare, when he complained, I said lets call the police. He left quickly when I took out my cell. 5555

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Forgot