Phuket van driver survives high-speed slam into parked tour bus

webfact

Phuket van driver survives high-speed slam into parked tour bus

Eakkapop Thongtub

1505790815_1-org.jpg

The driver of the van, Saeree Kaveeked, 37, suffered only minor injuries in the crash. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- The driver of a passenger van escaped with minor injuries after the van he was driving ploughed into the back of a tour bus parked beside the road near Phuket International Airport early this morning (Sept 19).

Lt Sunan Petchnoo of Thalang Police was notified of the accident, in front of the Thalang Technical College on Route 4026, which leads from Thepkrasattri Rd to the airport, at 1:20am.

The force of the impact left the heavily damaged van strewn across the road, blocking the lanes leading to the airport.

Full story:  https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-van-driver-survives-high-speed-slam-into-parked-tour-bus-63944.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-09-19

28 minutes ago, Roel said:

Typical example of overtaking at high speed in the outer left lane? But understandable because if everything goes well you will arrive at the airport almost 3 full minutes earlier. Who doesn't want that!

He was not  overtaking anyone,just crashed into the back of

the bus that was parked on the road,seems to happen quite

often,driving without due care and attention,A.K.A. the typical

Thai driver. Big white bus and he did not see it !

regards Worgeordie

57 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

He was not  overtaking anyone,just crashed into the back of

the bus that was parked on the road,seems to happen quite

often,driving without due care and attention,A.K.A. the typical

Thai driver. Big white bus and he did not see it !

regards Worgeordie

Likely workig his mobile phone. Looking at the left side photo it's hard to see how he survived, but the right side photo the bus looks Ok.

Judging by the majority of comments above did anyone actually bother to read the article first? I guess not but that doesn't allow for the usual angst, arm chair experts and outrage does it?

The bus was  parked on the side of the road btw.

Edited by Psimbo

17 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Judging by the majority of comments above did anyone actually bother to read the article first? I guess not but that doesn't allow for the usual angst, arm chair experts and outrage does it?

So is the van now, somewhat.

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Exactly. Parked in the outer left lane (which is on the side of the road) that minivans  and taxi's use all the time to overtake traffic driving in the regular two lanes. Especially near the Makro.

8 hours ago, Roel said:

Exactly. Parked in the outer left lane (which is on the side of the road) that minivans  and taxi's use all the time to overtake traffic driving in the regular two lanes. Especially near the Makro.

No, look at the photos. He was parked mostly on the grass, but also a bit on the yellow line. Illegal, yes, but there was no reason at all for that van to drive straight into him. And no, nothing to do with Makro or that general area.

29 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, look at the photos. He was parked mostly on the grass, but also a bit on the yellow line. Illegal, yes, but there was no reason at all for that van to drive straight into him. And no, nothing to do with Makro or that general area.

Some drivers should stay by their buffaloes.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

I don't want to go on about it but allow me one last photo. That clearly seems to be the motorbike lane that I call in my non-native English the outer left lane. The surface that you call grass we call that asphalt. I didn't say that this accident was near the Makro only that this left lane overtaking is rife in that particular area.

outer left lane.jpg

8 hours ago, Roel said:

I don't want to go on about it but allow me one last photo. That clearly seems to be the motorbike lane that I call in my non-native English the outer left lane. The surface that you call grass we call that asphalt. I didn't say that this accident was near the Makro only that this left lane overtaking is rife in that particular area.

outer left lane.jpg

You're right. I looked at the last photo in the link to the main story, but now notice that is only a warning against parking next to the road for tourbuses or face a 50,000 Baht fine.

This one was parked in the lane I also call the motorbike lane, unfortunately all too often used for parking.

Edited by stevenl

8 hours ago, Roel said:

outer left lane.jpg

With all those street lights on how could the van driver not see the bus? Oh, I know, he was probably blinded by the glow of his mobile phone while using it. Or then again, was it his brain fade that did not allow him to see the parked bus? 

The good news is that the 'lucky' amulet worked and he survived..yeah!  Yeah?