Residence Certificate Charges

nickmondo

Today I went to the main Immigration Office at Hua Hin because I need to renew my 2 year driving licences (upgrade) to the 5 year licences.

I was charged 1,000 baht for 2 residency certificates (one for car and one for bike) surely one and a copy would have been ok?.  

Yet my research tells me that this is a free service.

I said to the lady there that it was a free service.  

She said it was an admin/service fee.  

So I said, no problem, but i would like a receipt.

She said cannot give a receipt, and pointed out to me that she personally did not receive the 1,000.  

She again said it is a service charge.  

I was under the impression that for a same day service, you have been required to cross their palms with silver, but I understood that to have been banned now.

In any case, the longer (free) service that used to be available was not even offered.

Anyone got any similar stories?

Yes it supposed to be free,

and you could have used one original and one copy if you renew licences at the same time.

Free if you are willing to wait and come back in 2 weeks whereupon the boss won't be available to sign the document so come back tomorrow....or you can pay the "administration" fee  "uurp to yoo"

9 minutes ago, johng said:

and you could have used one original and one copy if you renew licences at the same time.

Free if you are willing to wait and come back in 2 weeks whereupon the boss won't be available to sign the document so come back tomorrow....or you can pay the "administration" fee  "uurp to yoo"

yeh, i just paid it.  obviously the copy option was not offered to me!  again, another lesson learnt! hey ho

3 hours ago, johng said:

Yes as i want to get DL during my holiday  on Visa Exempt it's exactly what immigration officer told it's free but need one month to get it, can be done now it will cost you same as taxe you pay on DL in France 4000 baths up to you for the price you get two

Edited by pby92

4 hours ago, nickmondo said:

yeh, i just paid it.  obviously the copy option was not offered to me!  again, another lesson learnt! hey ho

Confucius say: Check TVF threads first on exactly what you require and in 2 mins you could have saved yourself 500 Baht, you make your own copy and the DLT accept original & copy on same day for both car & bike and one set of the other docs (medical cert etc)

I got charged 500 baht in Korat, no receipt of course but the lady was nice enough to prepare all the documents/copies in the right order exactly as the DLT needed... I didn't have to do anything but hand it over - she prepared it all for me..

I won't complain about the admin fee, you can kick up a fuss and be told to return in 28 days if you want :-)

11 hours ago, Lokie said:

Confucius say: Check TVF threads first on exactly what you require and in 2 mins you could have saved yourself 500 Baht, you make your own copy and the DLT accept original & copy on same day for both car & bike and one set of the other docs (medical cert etc)

i was told that a medical cert is no longer required?  i was at banglamung doing my road taxes and went up stairs to ask the reception lady a question and i got back a small piece of paper with the renewal requirements and med cert. was lined out.  anyone have recent experience to this.  need or not need.

2 hours ago, wanderluster said:

i was told that a medical cert is no longer required?  i was at banglamung doing my road taxes and went up stairs to ask the reception lady a question and i got back a small piece of paper with the renewal requirements and med cert. was lined out.  anyone have recent experience to this.  need or not need.

I done mine at Phuket in December 2016 and they did require Med cert back then, you know LOS - each local Govt dept seem to apply rules as they like, when they like, so for 100 or 200 Baht I would take a Med Cert unless you know for sure that DLT do not require it, in your case they have said not required - thats cool.

Edited by Lokie

2 hours ago, wanderluster said:

I did not need one for renewal of 5 year licence last month... but I don't know about a first time application.

On 9/20/2017 at 6:39 AM, Lokie said:

I done mine at Phuket in December 2016 and they did require Med cert back then, you know LOS - each local Govt dept seem to apply rules as they like, when they like, so for 100 or 200 Baht I would take a Med Cert unless you know for sure that DLT do not require it, in your case they have said not required - thats cool.

Yeah I should have added this was a first time application...