Thaksin tweets his concern for fellow Thai citizens on anniversary of 2006 coup

snoop1130

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Does that mean we are in agreement ?  You find the courts less than competent and lacking in altruism ?

I see Thailand as a direct democracy, a bit better than mob rule, which may evolve into something more representative if nurtured.   From you comments, your expectations are fairly high.  You really do not feel Thailand needs a military law and could evolve into something better over time ?  Things you mentioned about Thailand are some of things we use to say about Taiwan 30 years ago.  Taiwan evolved.   

Most luxury cars, even pink ones, incur a 300% tax.  That might be a law, but it is not a just one. 

From a business person's view point, the junta and its mentality is hampering Thailand's development in favor of the entitled and government inc.   Not uncommon to get a sales pitch for visas when passing through immigration.  A bit of a turn off. 

Not sure why you would be happy to see Thailand fall behind China over a pink Bentley and a poorly devised rice scheme.  

"That might be a law, but it is not a just one. "  That statement alone shows you didn't understand what I was saying. It is not a matter whether a tax on the wealthy is just or not, it's the fact that the DPM feels that it should not apply to him, and doesn't care a hoot that everybody knows it. The same applies to most politicians and most laws - they feel they can pass laws to increase their wealth, or commit fraud on the state bank, or allow their supporters to murder protesters, because the police are either family illegally promoted, or simply in their pocket. Anything that attitude evolves into will not be democracy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, yellowboat said:

It is not within me to remain silent. 

Does it hurt when you beat your head against a brick wall, and do you achieve anything more than a headache?

I learnt many years ago to attempt to change the things that is possible for me to change, accept the things I can do nothing about, and hoping that I get the difference right. I am running about 60% on that last bit.

I have been coming to Thailand and living here on and off since 1993 and TBH it hasn't really made that much difference to me over time whichever government has been in power. Nor has it made that much difference to my Thai family and friends either.

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

"Why are we still quoting this criminal?"

Because he is still the most popular leader in Thailand. Abihisit is not as popular, and neither is big P. Nor is anyone else.

And if a fair election were held today, he would win. And, everyone knows that.

Possibly because in future years Thaksin might be an important part of the Thai political scene, just sayin...........................:coffee1:

1 hour ago, halloween said:

"That might be a law, but it is not a just one. "  That statement alone shows you didn't understand what I was saying. It is not a matter whether a tax on the wealthy is just or not, it's the fact that the DPM feels that it should not apply to him, and doesn't care a hoot that everybody knows it. The same applies to most politicians and most laws - they feel they can pass laws to increase their wealth, or commit fraud on the state bank, or allow their supporters to murder protesters, because the police are either family illegally promoted, or simply in their pocket. Anything that attitude evolves into will not be democracy.

Understand your outrage, but 300% for anyone is ridiculous and unjust for all Thais,  Would condone his behavior.  The wealthy, the high ranking, the politically connected all enjoy tremendous privilege regardless of their political affiliation.  Can't disagree with you there.  Its disgraceful.  The only thing you and I disagree on is the right to vote.  I believe they should carry on as imperfect as it is and you hold it as something sacred. 

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Does it hurt when you beat your head against a brick wall, and do you achieve anything more than a headache?

I learnt many years ago to attempt to change the things that is possible for me to change, accept the things I can do nothing about, and hoping that I get the difference right. I am running about 60% on that last bit.

I have been coming to Thailand and living here on and off since 1993 and TBH it hasn't really made that much difference to me over time whichever government has been in power. Nor has it made that much difference to my Thai family and friends either.

What do you do ? 

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

ust like the insist on pretending both Thaksin and Yingluck were removed by a coup rather than noting the former was illegally occupying the position and the latter was removed by a court for an illegal act. 

The court ordered Yingluck to step down and not the caretaker government. A caretaker government can only be removed by a constitution ruling or by a coup. It was a coup that removed the government. 

9 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

What do you do ? 

Live the best way that I can and accept it.

I just keep my head down, don't bother anybody and get on with my life, life and family.

I know that I cannot shape Thailand the way I would like it to be so I just accept it as it is.

At this time as the PTP hate the Democrats and the Democrats hate the PTP, the other smaller parties are sniffing around looking for scraps in the future, who benefits?

The current government of course.

Divide and rule while any real opposition (the PTP most likely as the Drmocrats can't win a one horse race) and fighting each other.

Perhaps this is one of many reasons why the current government is trying to demonise Thaksin and all his tribe, Though to be fair he does not need much help in being demonised.

Most of the rural people I talk to up here really don't care WHO is in power. What they care about mostly is that they have work and some money to feed the family, food on the table, a roof over their heads, money for the kids school clothes and books and they pray to whoever to keep their kids off drugs.

They don't really care who runs national politics, they care a bit who runs it locally.

IMHO the only way that Thailand can get back to some sense of normality is when a knight on a white horse comes from nowhere to lead them or if 5, 10 or 15 million of them all get together and march on the government and physically remove them. Sadly knights on white horses are not even available online and getting 15 million people together would be even harder than herding 15 million cats.

Some on here really need to wake up and stop passing on the properganda. All its been from back in the 30's is coup after coup, even coup on coup so its plain to see to one and all who is to blame, then at some time the rest of the world will become involved, like it has in other areas and we all suffer. Power and money is everything in this neck of the woods, just look next door. Its all an utter shambles and thats the way it will stay for a while as there is no one who can solve the problem big enough to take the job on.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:53 PM, halloween said:

You present a very persuasive argument why Thailand is not ready for democracy, when a known criminal who blatantly fills the position to benefit himself is the most likely candidate to succeed in an election.

and you cant grasp that any of those who have or are in power are the same, but please continue to single out just 1 of those types, it is quite funny to see just how one eyed you can be...

3 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Some on here really need to wake up and stop passing on the properganda. All its been from back in the 30's is coup after coup, even coup on coup so its plain to see to one and all who is to blame, then at some time the rest of the world will become involved, like it has in other areas and we all suffer. Power and money is everything in this neck of the woods, just look next door. Its all an utter shambles and thats the way it will stay for a while as there is no one who can solve the problem big enough to take the job on.

Why do you think that the rest of the worls will become involved?

The rest of the world doesn't care about Thailand as they have their own problems.

I do agree however that there is nobody in Thailand who is big enough and with enough power to solve Thailands problems.

10 hours ago, kaorop said:

and you cant grasp that any of those who have or are in power are the same, but please continue to single out just 1 of those types, it is quite funny to see just how one eyed you can be...

There are many documented instances of elected politicians, especially of the shin variety, abusing their position for personal benefit, which I refuse to ignore. If you want to claim anybody else is equally bad, put up some examples and I will join you in condemnation. Without that, your claims of one-eyed bias are rather funny from someone with both shut.

6 hours ago, halloween said:

There are many documented instances of elected politicians, especially of the shin variety, abusing their position for personal benefit, which I refuse to ignore. If you want to claim anybody else is equally bad, put up some examples and I will join you in condemnation. Without that, your claims of one-eyed bias are rather funny from someone with both shut.

Edited by kaorop