getting inusured for any vehicle

BuffaloRescue

33 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Of course every vehicle in Thailand has compulsory government insurance.  Without that the vehicle is on the road illegally.  

But probably the OP wants an insurance that earns the name?

Not that laughable sums of the compulsory insurance.

A foreigner causing an accident with this insurance is doomed.

Insurance is on the vehicle and not the person.  So if you have 3rd class on you car or bike, any legally licensed driver is covered driving that vehicle unless your insurance company has a clause in the policy limiting the coverage to only certain drivers.  Personally I have never heard of insuring a person, with maybe the exception of one of your credit cards offering insurance for rental cars.  Not saying that it's not possible, but just have never heard of it.  You may want to contact someone who is knowledgeable about these thing, such as AAInsure here in Thailand.

Edited by connda

4 hours ago, connda said:

Insurance is on the vehicle and not the person.  So if you have 3rd class on you car or bike, any legally licensed driver is covered driving that vehicle unless your insurance company has a clause in the policy limiting the coverage to only certain drivers.  Personally I have never heard of insuring a person, with maybe the exception of one of your credit cards offering insurance for rental cars.  Not saying that it's not possible, but just have never heard of it.  You may want to contact someone who is knowledgeable about these thing, such as AAInsure here in Thailand.

"unless your insurance company has a clause in the policy limiting the coverage to only certain drivers."

If that clause is in the po9licy, standard is there will still be coverage for another driver but with a high(er) deductable.

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

But probably the OP wants an insurance that earns the name?

Not that laughable sums of the compulsory insurance.

A foreigner causing an accident with this insurance is doomed.

Isn't there "third party liability" insurance available in Thailand..?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Isn't there "third party liability" insurance available in Thailand..?

Yes, you can get additional insurance (1 million Baht or more).

But as above: it's the vehicle that is insured.

So no answer to the OP.

No idea whether such personal insurance exists.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, you can get additional insurance (1 million Baht or more).

But as above: it's the vehicle that is insured.

So no answer to the OP.

No idea whether such personal insurance exists.

Thanks for reply.

I know about vehicle insurance in Thailand and additional cover.

I was merely thinking of the kind of "third party liability" insurance we know from Europe, where the person is insured – or all members of a family – in case they cause an accident and harm third party, or third party's property. I believe many normal Travel Insurances also includes that; it's my understanding that a Travel Insurance, which we forum posters always recommend as mandatory for tourists, often can clear many compensation claim cases.

OP is not clearly explaining if he thinks about himself, i.e. Personal Accident, og him being liable for compensation to third party. As you mentioned: »...compulsory insurance. A foreigner causing an accident with this insurance is doomed.«