Pattaya expat worries: unofficial survey

webfact

Pattaya expat worries

The key matters concerning long-term farang in Pattaya are visa prospects and their own health care.  That is according to a local survey carried out by Pattaya Today with 100 expats, mostly retired British but also involving mainland Europeans, Americans and Australians.  The newspaper is not claiming this was a scientific survey but was conducted by interview and telephone over a two-week period.

Almost all those contacted said their biggest concern at present was the ambiguity which they sensed about future visa policy in Thailand.  At present most long-stay farang have a one year extension of stay based on retirement.  A new 10-year visa for those over 50 years and their families has been introduced by the government, but the rules are complex – requiring police clearance from the home base and many financial documents –  and can only be obtained in the country of origin and not in Thailand.

In spite of rumours to the contrary earlier this year, the current retirement visa has been left untouched by the immigration authorities.  It requires annual foreign income or cash in Thailand, or a combination of both, of at least 800,000 baht.  Yet many expats are concerned lest the rules are changed, for example a doubling of the cash or income requirement or a supplementary rule demanding comprehensive medical insurance.

Full story: http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/pattaya-expat-worries/

-- PATTAYA TODAY 2017-09-20

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some sort of medical insurance requirement will happen in the near future.  And I don't mean just travel insurance.  I would be buying some local Thai insurance if I do semi retire there, so that in itself is not a worry to me, except if they mandate it, and then the costs are driven up because foreigners now must have it.

10 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I think some sort of medical insurance requirement will happen in the near future.  And I don't mean just travel insurance.  I would be buying some local Thai insurance if I do semi retire there, so that in itself is not a worry to me, except if they mandate it, and then the costs are driven up because foreigners now must have it.

I agree, I think it should be a requirement, I had it when I lived there.

:)

ghe problem with having to have medical insurance is many expats are too old to take out this insurance.

I think the main worry of expats regarding immigration in Thailand is

the archaic rules - 90 day reporting, tm30's and tm28's etc

the inconsistency at immigration offices 

and due to all archaic rules the understaffing at some immigration offices , leading to big queues and having to use agents or get there at the crack of dawn.

Edited by steve187
added 'regarding immigration' 

23 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Does any country mandate it's expats must have medical insurance?

For me depends on insurance availability based on age. What happens when I am over 65? How easy is it to find insurance after this point on?

70-75? is it available?

Insurance companies should change their benchmark and take into consideration that the expected age of death is now almost fifteen to twenty years that which it was before...

24 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Does any country mandate it's expats must have medical insurance?

In general the USA does not require it, but you will likely have a very hard time getting treated or admitted to any major hospital or you will be charged so much that the sticker shock will kill you if the ailment does not.

5 minutes ago, steve187 said:

I think the main worry of expats in Thailand is

the archaic rules - 90 day reporting

Seriously... you think their main worry is 1 hour out of your day every 3 months to pop into immigration office...They even accept your wife doing it if you dont want to get out of bed, and  now its all moving to on-line. Also many agents are now doing it all for you for 150 baht.

It wasn't that many years ago that you had to leave the country--Pattaya BKK people could do it in a day by coach/mini van, People living further afield would take 2 days travelling, unless you had the money to fly.

Is this the new generation of moaning expats..... oh please hold my place at the bar, I have to pop into the office and fill a form in---yes  life can be cruel.

If this is the main worry of your life Steve187......your truly blessed......:coffee1:

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

That's just for a visit.  If allowed to immigrate, would she have access to the NHS?  Probably so??

Probably, if we arrived in a fishing boat or rubber dinghy with 14 children, no paperwork, no home to go to, and no job !

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

No, the main worry would be the officer having a bad day and you being kicked out of the country for no reason.

And the last time that you know of a person going for a 90 check and being  kicked out of the country because the officer was having a bad day ....Was when Bob ???........:coffee1:

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Seriously... you think their main worry is 1 hour out of your day every 3 months to pop into immigration office...They even accept your wife doing it if you dont want to get out of bed, and  now its all moving to on-line. Also many agents are now doing it all for you for 150 baht.

It wasn't that many years ago that you had to leave the country--Pattaya BKK people could do it in a day by coach/mini van, People living further afield would take 2 days travelling, unless you had the money to fly.

Is this the new generation of moaning expats..... oh please hold my place at the bar, I have to pop into the office and fill a form in---yes  life can be cruel.

If this is the main worry of your life Steve187......your truly blessed......:coffee1:

Agreed, I never used to do my 90 day, my "lawyer" guy did it for me.

59 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Health care is getting very expensive here, especially via the various private hospitals.  It's basically a monopoly. And insurance once you pass 65 or so is generally not available.  It's a real problem for many.

Yup, my last policy there was 40k for the year.

Still good though as I had a bike accident and the bill of 230k was covered.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

If compulsory the prices will rise, and what about people with existing conditions? No insurance available, thrown out? 

45 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

My gf cannot get a visa to visit UK without valid health insurance.

Because by law they would have to treat her. Even if the visa has "no recourse to public funds" stamped in the passport. They must treat you.

So it is a backdoor way of getting payment.

Here if you can't pay, you are most unlikely to be treated. So the issue should not really arise.

Edited by chrissables

1 minute ago, davethailand said:

Yup, my last policy there was 40k for the year.

Still good though as I had a bike accident and the bill of 230k was covered

Yes health policy..(or lack of it) would be the number 1 worry I would think.... I have just got the sack from BUPA, They did give me ample warning..over 70-didnt join before 60 etc. My American friends all told me to join when I first came here in my 50s, but when you have lived your life in mainly ..health care on demand type countries..N.Z--UK..Oz etc takes a bit of thought adjustment.

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

read it as a whole, not just pick one which makes your post seem smart.

look at tm28's,  tm30's not issuing conversion non imm without trivial requests

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

No, the main worry would be the officer having a bad day and you being kicked out of the country for no reason.

Do do have any way to show this has actually happened to anyone who meets the requirements? If not, it's a pretty juvenile statement to make.

I think the junta may look at retirement income,  but they need to understand that a lot of Farang are supporting Thai families - either g/f and previous kids, or other. Should they decide to boost the income requirement then potentially there could be a huge amount of money-less families and children on the streets  if the farang supporting them go home - not like our home countries will agree to let us take them home with us. 

Then again , not great thinkers Thai people.

38 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Yes health policy..(or lack of it) would be the number 1 worry I would think.... I have just got the sack from BUPA, They did give me ample warning..over 70-didnt join before 60 etc. My American friends all told me to join when I first came here in my 50s, but when you have lived your life in mainly ..health care on demand type countries..N.Z--UK..Oz etc takes a bit of thought adjustment.

The rate for over 70 is staggering.  Even if you joined before you were 60.

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

read it as a whole, not just pick one which makes your post seem smart.

look at tm28's,  tm30's not issuing conversion non imm without trivial requests

So you feel --" I think the main worry of expats"   is from people relocating  TM 28...... or taking in Guests  TM 30   and hence the trivial requests   of filling these forms are making ex-pats lives so difficult in Thailand.

Thanks for clearing that up Steve........ for myself..I am enjoying the Autumn days of my life here Steve-- I dont look for problems & have learnt not to sweat the small stuff ,

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

My gf cannot get a visa to visit UK without valid health insurance.

Not sure why you think that, there is no requirement for a visitor to the UK to have health insurance in order to get a visa, wise yes, requirement no.

for a Schengen visa it is a requirement.

The issue for a lot of expats in Thailand, as mentioned by many, is obtaining the insurance for the over 65 / 70 year old and the physical cost of the insurance, the premiums quoted for the 10 year visa compared with the cover given are eye watering.