Bell's Scotch Promo'd at Big C b499L!

Number 6

Yes, after the announced tariff increase, today I see Bell's hit the shelf of my local Big C in BKK. Shock price of b499 per liter with 2 addl sizes.

I've never drank it but I'm excited bc I've had to move upmarket to Dewers after Seagram's polluted Piper's to the point that it became undrinkable.

I've read reviews stating it was better than Teacher's (hope/doubt). There is a 330ml size so I'll give it a go.

Here's some questions though for Scots n Brits. The bottle laughably has a union Jack on it and covers up the original label (maybe for the launch?). Is it possible this is swill with addl grain spirits? Would Bell's or any other company put the same label as domestic but add grains for export?

Gotta love the union jack especially as Scotland wants to leave UK. Well that's Bell's marketing whores. 555

Drinking it now.  It's been at Tops, Rim Ping and 7/11 in Chiang Mai for several months at this price.  Heck, even the little mini mart in our condo stocks it, but at a higher price.  Just waiting for the tax increase to hit the price.  

I rather like the taste.  It has more flavor than Dewers or even Teachers.  I switched to Scotch (the drink of my forefathers) after wine started to bother my tummy.  Hubby got tired of my Johnny Walker Double Black habit and started to bring home bottles of other stuff (most of which I rejected after a couple drinks) and I had to admit this Bell's wasn't all that bad.  And much better on the budget.  

I could have sworn I read one bottle that said it was bottled in Vietnam, but the bottle in front of my right now says "distilled, blended & bottled in Scotland".  

And the only thing I mix with Scotch is a little bottled water and ice or maybe for a nightcap Scotch and milk.  That settles the tummy nicely.

Thanks everyone.

Interesting thoughts Bells not the same as UK. Shame. Like what they did to Piper's. It never was good, but b600 for swill, never. Benmore was another cheapie that was almost drinkable when it came out 2004-5? Last time I tried both I'd just rather drink Blend (not that I do).

I wonder if/when the union jack will come off the label. It's quite garrish.

Nancy, when I looked in the case I also saw something about Vietnam but can't recall.

I'd have bought a half pint but it was 430pm.

No idea why Jim Beam is so ungodly expensive. It's cheap in US and us10 in Cambodia. I'd be happy with Evan Williams for 500 L.

Incidentally, I see no price increases on spirits as of yet. Big C, Tops, Foodland.

So apparently, to answer the question, according to Naboo, very different.

41 minutes ago, naboo said:

Been about for a few months. Not the same as Bell's in the UK. Barely drinkable neat, OK with coke.

Yeah it's an expensive thing in Thailand to find a neat drinkable whiskey but l get treated once a year.

My Daughter brings me an 18 year single malt Glenmorangie every yearly when on a visit to me from the England. 

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Drinking it now.  It's been at Tops, Rim Ping and 7/11 in Chiang Mai for several months at this price.  Heck, even the little mini mart in our condo stocks it, but at a higher price.  Just waiting for the tax increase to hit the price.  

I rather like the taste.  It has more flavor than Dewers or even Teachers.  I switched to Scotch (the drink of my forefathers) after wine started to bother my tummy.  Hubby got tired of my Johnny Walker Double Black habit and started to bring home bottles of other stuff (most of which I rejected after a couple drinks) and I had to admit this Bell's wasn't all that bad.  And much better on the budget.  

I could have sworn I read one bottle that said it was bottled in Vietnam, but the bottle in front of my right now says "distilled, blended & bottled in Scotland".  

And the only thing I mix with Scotch is a little bottled water and ice or maybe for a nightcap Scotch and milk.  That settles the tummy nicely.

Scotch and milk....good lord, now I have heard it all!  Robbie Burns is rolling in his wee grave!

On 9/20/2017 at 7:15 PM, Number 6 said:

Yes, after the announced tariff increase, today I see Bell's hit the shelf of my local Big C in BKK. Shock price of b499 per liter with 2 addl sizes.

I've never drank it but I'm excited bc I've had to move upmarket to Dewers after Seagram's polluted Piper's to the point that it became undrinkable.

I've read reviews stating it was better than Teacher's (hope/doubt). There is a 330ml size so I'll give it a go.

Here's some questions though for Scots n Brits. The bottle laughably has a union Jack on it and covers up the original label (maybe for the launch?). Is it possible this is swill with addl grain spirits? Would Bell's or any other company put the same label as domestic but add grains for export?

Gotta love the union jack especially as Scotland wants to leave UK. Well that's Bell's marketing whores. 555

Bells is, unfortunately, owned by Diageo, who have been active in the anti-Scottish Independence movement. There has been a subtle shift in Scotland in recent years to downplay the Saltire, downplay Scottishness itself, and promote the Union flag above all else, not just in whisky but in a several domestically high profile products, services and accomplishments. There is a clear attempt to water down the Scottish identity, presumably for fear that the rabble pick up their pitchforks again and demand #indyref2. 

On 9/20/2017 at 8:15 PM, torrzent said:

Scotch and milk....good lord, now I have heard it all!  Robbie Burns is rolling in his wee grave!

You might be surprised torrzent, when I worked in Aberdeen some years ago I had a Highland colleague

who frequently whisked me off to his home town/village ( Rogart Sutherland ) for the weekend and it was

fairly common to find the locals consuming a nightcap of whisky with milk after a hard nights drinking.

On 9/20/2017 at 6:51 PM, NancyL said:

You might like to try Monkeys Shoulder NancyL it is a triple malt blend and goes down rather well.

Not cheap but not over priced like the abomination named JW.