10 million low-income people to receive welfare cards

snoop1130

10 million low-income people to receive welfare cards

By The Nation

e99efb087b33e5fa354640e7c5cd967b.jpeg

File photo

More than 10 million registered low-income persons nationwide will get welfare cards this month while another 1.3 million residents of Bangkok and seven other nearby provinces will get cards imbedded with chips to use public buses and trains free of charge starting next month.

In Bangkok and nearby provinces, each card is worth about Bt1,700 to Bt1,800 per month, including a Bt500-allowance to use Bangkok-based buses as well as the MRT and BTS train networks. In other provinces, each card is valued at Bt1,200 to Bt1,300 per month to be exchanged for subsidised goods and other items.

Somchai Sujjapongse, permanent secretary for the Finance Ministry, said residents of Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Samut Prakarn, Nakorn Pathom and Samut Sakhorn would receive the chipped cards on October 17, while the rest of the welfare cards would be delivered starting today until September 30.

The cards are part of the government’s welfare programme aimed at low-income people who earn less than Bt100,000 per year. For Bangkok and nearby provincial residents, the cards are part of the joint mass transit ticketing system known as “Mangmoom”.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30327250

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-9-20

12 hours ago, Media1 said:

Big deal. You just raped the country with price hikes in supermarkets and tobacco. Another scam for you to win votes. You will fail where spreading the word 

I am really surprised you can couple, in your mind, a hike in tobacco and alcohol prices with doing something for the poor.

Rape the country?

With a slight tax rise on tobacco and alcohol?

How silly can you be.

Get votes?

Populist politicos in Thailand did the same before, remember?

For the rising prices in supermarkets I presume you  blame the producers and the supermarkets, not the governments?

Edited by hansnl

Nothing but a submissive tactic to get the poor dependent on hand outs rather than allocate resources to develop opportunities to earn an income.  So the wage increase has been kick down the road conveniently for populist hand out policies which the PM has been so vocally against. 

3 hours ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

So generous.Still a million miles from paying unemployment,sickness&housing benefit to the needy.While the top government officials sit in their mansions care of?

Are you talking about the US?...I cannot see people sleeping on the streets of Thailand or on street lines to get free food....

Edited by Muzarella

3 hours ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

So generous.Still a million miles from paying unemployment,sickness&housing benefit to the needy.While the top government officials sit in their mansions care of?

A Million miles away from who john ?  The nanny states of UK--USA on the other side of the world, who are sinking under the pressure of paying life payments to solo mothers, and 20 year old guys who have "Sprained their back" and housing benefits for the free house they get to live in anyway.. etc.

Is this the context that Thailand is a million miles away from?...

Oh Good

Why dont you take it in the context of their region--- Thailand has set up an old age pension scheme-- Yes its not a lot of money, but the scheme is in place, like to list other countries in this region who have done the same ?

Free (30baht) universal health care---is done by what other countries in the region.?

Unemployment schemes are in place and most larger companies pay portion into it.

Now they are starting a scheme for lower income to get free buses--etc which your post is so  derisory of , Because--: "There are rich people in Mansions"

Singapore --with out doubt the riches country in this immediate vicinity (average monthly wage 136,815-Baht...Thailand now on a high earning about 1 tenth of that 13,619-Baht maybe you would like to see what a power house economy like Singapore thinks of having a nanny state,

"But one policy that shows no sign of reversing is Singapore's antipathy towards public welfare. The state's attitude can be simply put: being poor here is your own fault"...

The Economist-- The stingy nanny

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Nothing but a submissive tactic to get the poor dependent on hand outs rather than allocate resources to develop opportunities to earn an income.  So the wage increase has been kick down the road conveniently for populist hand out policies which the PM has been so vocally against. 

You mean exactly like YL and her rice program instead of helping farmers to change just handouts to make them dependent. Its the same.. I am against both.. but at least everyone here is eligible.. not just the farmers as a voting block. 

7 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

This welfare program spells possible end to:

• Child support subsidy
  • Elderly subsidy
  • Universal healthcare scheme

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30326948

In the end this welfare program may, thus, have a net zero affect on raising the living standard for low income Thais.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:18 AM, hansnl said:

I am really surprised you can couple, in your mind, a hike in tobacco and alcohol prices with doing something for the poor.

Rape the country?

With a slight tax rise on tobacco and alcohol?

How silly can you be.

Get votes?

Populist politicos in Thailand did the same before, remember?

For the rising prices in supermarkets I presume you  blame the producers and the supermarkets, not the governments?

Good luck to you. Bored are you. They take and don't give. The producers are not taxing. But it takes a educated man to work that out. All took place 3 months after the coup. Maybe you can visit government house. A shoe shine business is a good idea

On 9/21/2017 at 8:19 AM, phitsanulokjohn said:

Thailand is 3rd world country and always will be. The government makes big money and cries poor. It looks at the general public as mere bodies. They breed to much. Babies everywhere and anywhere. It's a non repairable mess. No policing of anything the wild west. The government work only for the wealthy. They hope for fast deaths with the poor. Old army men chambering onto the pot of gold.

Edited by Media1

My answer is make them work I drove past a house during the middle of the day during working week and saw the whole family asleep in the front of the house lying in hammocks. Mum and dad in their 40s and couple of sons 18 or 19 What do they all get the same day off work?

That is why there are over 1 million Cambodians Laos and Burmese Workers In Thailand doing work Thais can do. I know if  my family needed food shelter etc i would try my dam hardest to find a job. Not rely on handouts. But here no problem let the foreign workers do our job as long as we dont have to