Thaksin Pays $115 Mln For Liverpool

george

I am not sure whether Khun Tuksin is hoping to make a profit or using his own/taxpayers money. Either way, I reckon there are many Thais out there who battle to survive day to day who could use a bit more help :o Surely, the welfare of its citizens is more important than soccer aspirations.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure whether Khun Tuksin is hoping to make a profit or using his own/taxpayers money. Either way, I reckon there are many Thais out there who battle to survive day to day who could use a bit more help :o Surely, the welfare of its citizens is more important than soccer aspirations.

I'd bet you even the poorest tuk-tuk driver, however, is saying right now,

"Taksin Liverpool Number One!" You know how Thais are. The logic may not be there but the 'face' certainly is.

Thanks Taksin I will now be a Chelsea supporter. If you run Liverpool FC anything like your country then you have no chance. Here in UK we dont take S**t from lying dictators and i'm sure the other fans won't take long to hate him if he makes any dicissions like the ones he has done in south thailand and drug war to name only two. In uk we dont like being treated like stupid citizens because we are not and we will not take it unlike most of the citizens in thailand. besides that you are not the majority share holder and so Taksin doesnt have full power. I am sure he wont like that!!!! I also think this deal wont go ahead as there has been nothing in the press unlike other take over stories.

I am not sure whether Khun Tuksin is hoping to make a profit or using his own/taxpayers money. Either way, I reckon there are many Thais out there who battle to survive day to day who could use a bit more help :D Surely, the welfare of its citizens is more important than soccer aspirations.

I am not  sure  whether  Khun Tuksin is  hoping  to make  a  profit  or  using  his  own/taxpayers  money. Either  way, I  reckon  there  are  many  Thais  out  there  who battle  to survive  day to day who could  use a  bit  more  help :D  Surely,  the  welfare  of  its  citizens  is  more  important  than soccer  aspirations.

"his own money" are you joking. and when is he ever going to consider the welfare ot Thailand's citizens before his own "you are definately joking now"

:o:D

Im with you cutethaigirl,

He bought a business, so what ?

maybe , just maybe it might help Thailand as well. I think it will.

My only hope is that he used his own money.

Thanks Taksin I will now be a Chelsea supporter. If you run Liverpool FC anything like your country then you have no chance. Here in UK we dont take S**t from lying dictators and i'm sure the other fans won't take long to hate him if he makes any dicissions like the ones he has done in south thailand and drug war to name only two. In uk we dont like being treated like stupid citizens because we are not and we will not take it unlike most of the citizens in thailand. besides that you are not the majority share holder and so Taksin doesnt have full power. I am sure he wont like that!!!! I also think this deal wont go ahead as there has been nothing in the press unlike other take over stories.

Chelsea ?

Owned by the Russian Mafia? (Sibnaft / Abramovitch)

Better to support West Ham

Liverpool is, I believe, basically owned by the Moores family (Littlewoods Pools, Littlewoods Mail Order, etc.,).

Is Khun Thaksin allowed to go into business ventures with known gamblers, when gambling is forbidden in Thailand? Is this in conformity with his declared intersts as a member of the Thai Parliament? Within such declared interests, has he the resources to be able to participate in this venture?

Thought there was mention of another party here too?

The guy with the long name that makes Beer Chang. No one has mentioned him as yet. TS is the main guy but believed not the only one.

I think Liverpool have Carslberg Beer all over their shirts indicating sponsorship?

Does it not connect that as Mr Beer Chang also produces Carlsberg beer under some licence arrangement that the poarties may have had a little chat together over a beer or three prior to this event?

Just a thought.

Suffolk Water owned by the French.

A few Electricty Companies owned by the Americans

Called free enterprise in a Global Economy.

Hope some of it rubs off here:-)

We all seem to agree that there are a few areas of hypocrosy here and that the UK papers will say EXACTLY what THEY want to say.

Sounds cool to me :o

What will be interesting is if T demands the supreme authority he has demanded in all other ventures, both political and business. Will he throw his tantrums and demand to be coach? Will we see him on the sidelines tossing snide comments at his players? :o

It's a nice move for the elections in LOS, Better than touring all around the country to get votes. :o

guess the next thing will be a legal lottery on the soccer games and the major shareholder will be.... :D

This story has been a long time in the making, but it looks like he's finally come close to pulling off a deal (not signed and sealed yet according to an article in today's Guardian). Liverpool are obviously strapped for abit of brass, and there's this geezer with wads of notes rattling on Anfield's turnstiles who wants in no matter how much it costs, so why turn away the lad. Haven't seen this much persistence since Billy the Fish tried to get trialled, but you remember how that one turned out? Big Vern didn't tolerate fools gladly and old Dave Moore's no different methinks. Could get a bit interesting in the Director's (CEO's? :o ) Box next season. More laffs than the Royle Family lads. Pity 'em Everton players when they wipe the Reds off the pitch. :D:D

Liverpool chief Parry in Thailand for talks

Liverpool chief Rick Parry will be in Thailand today for talks with representatives of PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

Parry will discuss a significant investment by the Thai PM in Bangkok, which could be as much as 30 per cent of Liverpool.

"There will be bigger news this week," said Mr Thaksin, whose family controls Thailand's largest telecom group Shin Corp. "There will be a lot more details and then I will tell you about it. This will be of great benefit for Thailand."

"If today's negotiations are successful, we'll make an announcement on Friday," Thaksin told reporters.

"If Liverpool's chief executive agrees with our proposals, he'll go back and talk with the club's board. If they are okay, we'll make an announcement."

--tribalfootball.com 2004-05-10

Thai PM Thaksin concludes talks to buy 30% stake in Liverpool football club

BANGKOK : Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has concluded talks in his bid to buy a 30 percent stake in the English Premier League team Liverpool.

The billionaire-turned-politician is set on acquiring and managing the team's merchandise copyright in Asia.

Soccer fans in the kingdom are thrilled with the idea.

Once news broke out that Mr Thaksin was on the verge of signing the US$100 million deal, Internet chat rooms were flooded with opinions.

Many went a step further by pondering what Mr Thaksin's first move, as partner in the team, would be.

However, public reactions to Mr Thaksin's bid to buy a stake in Liverpool has been mixed.

Although hardcore fans of the English Premier League think it is a great idea, those who do not watch the sport say it is a complete waste of money.

"The money should be used to develop our country rather than spending it on a soccer club."

But some soccer fans disagree.

"Having a stake in Liverpool will also give Thai soccer players a chance at advanced training."

English soccer has a large following in Thailand with millions of fans tuning in to live broadcasts every season.

And guess which team has captured most hearts ?

"I cheer Liverpool all the way."

"I have been a serious Liverpool fan since I was a kid."

Rival team Manchester United also has a strong following in Thailand.

But experts say long-time soccer fans started cheering for Liverpool decades ago when they made their successful run in the 1980s.

And although its popularity has somewhat faltered, Mr Thaksin's 30 percent stake in the team will definitely boost acceptance once again.

The only remaining obstacle to that goal is Liverpool's board of directors.

And although the founder of Thailand's largest telecommunications conglomerate will have no trouble paying the bill himself, reports suggest he will invite a few business associates to join in on the investment.

The group will likely manage Liverpool's copyright agreements in Asia for merchandise and team tie-ins.

The deal is likely to include establishing an academy to help develop Thai soccer players.

-- CNA 2004-05-10

Guesthouse wind your neck in the scousers are different from the rest of the UK in that they are more hospitable to strangers than any where else and not "thieving scousers" as you put.I was born and brought up in Liverpool and think it's the greatest place in the world and the finest football team.

Q&A: who is the Liverpool-supporting Thai leader?

BANGKOK: -- Thaksin Shinawatra, the Thai Prime Minister, has confirmed that he is interested in investing up to £65 million in Liverpool Football Club. Andrew Chant in Bangkok says this initiative is not a surprise given the level of interest in the Premiership in Thailand.

Who is Thaksin Shinawatra?

He is a fourth generation Chinese immigrant from a merchant background in the north of the country. He was initially involved in the family silk business in the city of Chiang Mai and then at a local cinema before the joined the police force.

He went to the United States and got first a masters' degree in criminal justice and then a PhD.

He came back to Thailand and joined the police force. He left in the late 1980s to provide software to the Thai police. He set up the Shinawatra company and went straight into the paging and mobile phone business in the early 1990s at just the right time. He also set up a satellite business.

He is Thailand’s second richest man. Forbes last year estimated his personal wealth at $1 billion, but, with the gains in the stock market, it could be closer to $2 billion this year. However, he is not in the Roman Abramovich league just yet.

How did he become Prime Minister?

When he went into politics, he joined two separate parties and made enough political gaffes to almost destroy his career.

He is, though, a man used to getting his own way and he set up his own party. He founded his Thai Rak Thai (Thai Loves Thai) party five years ago and became Prime Minister in January 2001 forming a coalition government.

He has been a popular Prime Minister, known as a can-do politician. He has brought forward some popular initiatives like giving every village in Thailand £15,000 to develop its own products and bringing forward a fledgeling national health system.

His crackdown on drug dealers which led to 2,500 deaths last year casued consternation among academics and democratic activists, but it has been popular with the average Thai as has his campaign against suspected Muslim militants in the south of the country.

Why has he chosen to buy into Liverpool?

It is a timely announcement with a general election planned for the start of next year.

The Thais believe that his buying of a large stake in Liverpool is a sign of the country rising on the international scene. Thais believe it shows that they have reached a level of wealth and that it will bring prestige on the country. It is a welcome distraction for Mr Shinawatra from his recent problems which also include bird flu, but, that said, he will probably win the next election with or without buying a stake in Liverpool.

How big is the Premiership in Thailand?

It is huge. The games are usually broadcast live at 9 on a Saturday night so it guarantees a huge audience. The Thai domestic league is weak and does not attract much interest.

Gambling is also a large part of the popularity. Betting on the Premiership is the most popular form of underground gambling in the country. Thais also follow the German and Italian leagues, but the Premiership is the big one.

How big are Liverpool there?

They, along with Manchester United, are by far the biggest clubs. Arsenal and Chelsea are nowhere near as popular. When Thais first became interested in English football, Liverpool were the dominant team. Thais tend to follow the team that is doing the best so the older generation of football fans, those in their thirties, forties and fifties, follow Liverpool while the younger ones tend to support Manchester United. Michael Owen is a superstar here. His popularity is comparable to that of David Beckham.

Is Mr Shinawatra a Liverpool fan?

He has never said as much, but he took a day off after Liverpool played Marseilles in the Uefa Cup earlier this year, a game Liverpool lost over two legs.

Mr Shinawatra’s officials said that he was indisposed because he was hoarse from shouting at the television. So we can safely assume he is a Liverpool fan.

--Times, UK 2004-05-10

Billionaire hoping to score Liverpool deal

By Bill Wilson

BBC News Online business reporter

Mr Thaksin is not accustomed to coming off second-best

Like most foreigners considering investing in British football, Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra took the precaution of being a billionaire to begin with.

Mr Thaksin began working life as a policeman, but has grown rich from Shin Corp, a telecoms company that grew into the country's biggest communications group, bringing him a personal fortune of at least $1bn (£560m).

He is now on the verge of taking a 30% in Liverpool Football Club, which has been controlled by the Moores family for more than half a century, with an investment of more than $100m.

But is this another in a string of soccer vanity investments, or has the shrewd Mr Thaksin picked another winner?

Playing to win

Mr Thaksin certainly boasts an enviable track record.

This is a bold and daring move on Thaksin's part

Tor Peterson, sports business consultant

Born in the northern city of Chiang Mai in 1949, he worked in the family business - covering everything from silk to buses- from boyhood, and ran a cinema at the age of 16.

His move into the telecommunications and the computer industry came in 1982, when he signed a contract with the Thai police department to supply it with computer software.

In 1987, after 14 years' police service, he resigned to market a film - Bann Sai Thong - and to set up Shinawatra Computer and Communications Group.

Shinawatra initially concentrated on software marketing, and a year later he joined with Pacific Telesis to operate and market the PacLink pager service.

There was a split in the company, with Mr Thaksin going on to start his own successful pager service, Shinawatra Paging.

That evolved into the cellular phone business and Advanced Info Service, which now has the largest customer base in Thailand.

Along the way, Mr Thaksin also launched communications satellites, believing Thailand should have its own satellites and not have to rent space from satellites owned by other nations.

In 1990 he made a successful bid for a 20-year concession from the Telephone Organisation of Thailand, paying 20bn baht (£280m; $496m) in concession fees to gain the contract.

New stadium

The renamed Shin Corporation is now a huge communications conglomerate with interests in mobile phone communications, data solutions, internet services, IT applications, and international satellite services, earning the telecoms tycoon a vast fortune.

Mr Thaksin has many critics at home

In 2001 a court rejected a finding he had intentionally failed to list £160m of company shares owned by him and his wife, but held in the names of several nominees, including some of their domestic servants.

The proposed Liverpool deal would provide a financial boost for the club, allowing them to compete with the Premiership's richest clubs, buy new players, and help finance an £80m proposed new stadium in Stanley Park.

However, the reasons for the prime minister's moves appear less clear; his representatives say it is because of a love of the game, while more cynical voices have said it may be to boost his political popularity in the soccer-mad nation.

Tor Peterson, managing director of Zou Corporation, a Hong-Kong based sports business consultancy operating in the Far East, said: "This is a bold and daring move on his part.

"I believe he sees it as his responsibility to improve the standard of play in the country, and at the same time it will create a great sense of excitement.

"It also shows he is putting sports development as an important part of the country's cultural backbone."

'World-class name'

Mr Thaksin's spokesman, Chakrapot Penkai, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Thailand thinks that the Liverpool team can enhance the standard of the sport's development here a great deal.

"Why does the prime minister want to invest in Liverpool? Because it is the era of the brand name, with a good quality brand name you can do many things.

"Liverpool's is a world-class name - people attach their fantasies, their liking for sports, their enhancement in life, their self-development, along with this kind of team."

Mr Thaksin, who claims to be a Liverpool fan, said a company formed with other Thai private investors to pump money into the club would get commercial rights to use the Liverpool brand, and the premier league team would set up a soccer academy in Thailand.

In Thailand, Mr Thaksin is known for living by a motto he learned at the police cadet school: "Better to die than to live like a loser."

And, although Liverpool have struggled in the past three seasons, the Thai prime minister will be hoping that on this occasion he has picked a winner to match his previous business successes.

It is his earned money to do with as he pleases sames as yours and mine on a smaller scale.

In the long run if it benefits Thai Youth fair play to him. If he gains likewise.

CT

The guy was a cop and resigned to establish a company to supply the cops with computer software???????

In the west we call that "Insider trading" or something similar and it would set the Counter-Corruption departments on RED alert.

I've also heard that when he was deputy prome minister under Chaovalit (pre 97 crash) he arranged for the then Shin COMPUTER & Communications to supply 10's of thousands of schools with computers - knowing that half the schools didn't have electricity, and guess which company was the supplier?

Oh yes, he made his own money alright, some would say he's doing the same now, and from the same 60 million purses via one big purse - ever hear any more about him using government aircraft to meet with Burmese and Indian ministers regarding satellite rental contract renewals?

actually, thinking about it, if he's planning a majority shareholding and CEO-ship, he's maybe shot himself in the foot - under UK corporate law, when buying more than 20% of a PLC, he has to state if he's going to bid for a majority of the shares and if not, then he's bound over to not try for a certain period of time - can't remember the period, but seem to remember it's either 3 or 5 years.

But then he could just have words with Tony, PM to PM like, and have the law changed.

Is he setting himself up ready for getting bumped out in the next election (or retiring from politics in 2006 as he stated a while back) - his support is rapidly eroding because of his handling of the bird flu crisis and the Muslim massacre last month in the south, amongst other issues.

even on this forum MR T seems to be getting just what he requires...

discuss unimportant things like english soccer

forget about issues that could cause massive hardship for the ordinary thais living in thailand

wonder if his spin doctors are getting a bonus this week!

:o

'Govt resources used for private business'

BANGKOK: -- A political activist yesterday charged Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra with abuse of power for personal gain over his use of Government House as the venue for negotiating a deal to purchase a stake in English Premier League football team Liverpool.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, said Government House was an official building for carrying out state or public-interest affairs and not a place for Thaksin to make a deal that would benefit him personally.

Thaksin yesterday met with Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry at Government House.

"It's extremely inappropriate for the prime minister to do so. He must not forget that Government House is the office of the government leader to be used to oversee state affairs and the interests of the public," Suriyasai said.

"The prime minister may think that Government House is his personal residence or an office for doing his personal business.

"He will use his own money in the purchase, not the state budget, so the benefit of owning the shares will go into his pocket, not to the public."

Suriyasai said Thaksin's claim that the deal would benefit Thai soccer teams did not justify the action, because the government could seek assistance from the British government to improve soccer here without him having to cut a private deal.

He also criticised Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal for helping Thaksin in the negotiations.

"Pongsak might have forgotten that he is a minister on the taxpayers' payroll, not on the payroll of a private firm," he said.

The House of Representatives should conduct an ethics investigation against Pongsak to determine whether he abused his authority for the personal interests of a private firm, he added.

Suriyasai said it was not the first time that the prime minister had abused his authority for personal gain.

Thaksin always took his son on official foreign visits, he said.

"His son, Panthongtae, is a businessman who owns several businesses. I think the prime minister can not differentiate between public interests and the interests of his family, causing him to act improperly on several occasions", Suriyasai said.

--The Nation 2004-05-11

Liverpool deal under fire

Liverpool chairman David Moores came under pressure yesterday from human rights groups and supporters not to accept a £77 million investment from Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whose government stand accused of summary killings and the execution of Muslim activists.

The surprise move by Moores to reduce his 51 per cent shareholding has been organised by chief executive Rick Parry, but as details of Shinawatra's regime emerged yesterday the plan came under attack.

Under Liverpool's constitution, Moores has been permitted, as the club's major shareholder, to issue new shares to sell to Shinawatra. It means that although the Liverpool chairman's personal holding shrinks to between 35 and 40 percent his alliance with the Thailand Prime Minister, who now holds just less than 30 per cent, means Moores' grip on power is stronger than ever.

The deal is expected to give Shinawatra marketing rights for Liverpool in the Far East and he is also understood to be in talks to set up a Thai football academy that will have official links with Anfield and is aimed at boosting the Prime Minister's flagging popularity.

But Shinawatra, who is making the investment personally, has been accused by leading human rights groups Amnesty International of operating a government who have been responsible for 2,245 deaths in a drugs crackdown last year and the killing of 107 Muslims last month.

Neil Durkin, an Amnesty spokesman, said: "Thailand's human rights record has been a particular concern recently following a government-led 'drugs war' that has seen several thousand drugs suspects killed by law enforcement officers.

"In one three-month period alone last year, a staggering 2,245 people were killed according to official statistics. We have called on the Thai government to allow independent investigations into this worrying wave of killings."

In a recent editorial in the Liverpool fanzine Through the Wind and the Rain, editor Steven Kelly said: "We should have distanced ourselves from this guy from day one. If we had an ounce of humanity we should have said 'No' immediately."

Yesterday Kelly said: "He [shinawatra] doesn't look like the kind of character you should be doing business with. There is going to be controversy about it. It's dragging morality down when the majority of people say 'As long as the team is good, I don't care'."

Shinawatra, 54, a former policeman, is understood to be the richest man in Thailand after making a personal fortune from the telecoms business and, as a fan of Premiership football, has attempted to buy into Fulham and Manchester United in the past.

The Thai Prime Minister is understood to have met with Parry for an hour in Government House in Bangkok yesterday to finalise the deal which is expected to help Liverpool improve the team and finance their new £80 million stadium.

The issue of taking on debt to finance the new stadium proved divisive at the club's AGM in January when the club's third-biggest shareholder, Steve Morgan, clashed with Moores over the Liverpool chairman's refusal to sell any more of his shares.

Shinawatra's spokesman Chakrapot Penkai told BBC Radio Four's Today programme that although the Thailand Prime Minister would be using his own wealth to buy the stake in Liverpool, the association with such a prestigious football club would be of benefit to the whole nation.

"Thailand thinks that the Liverpool team can enhance the standard of the sport's development in Thailand a great deal," Penkai said. "Why does the Prime Minister want to invest in Liverpool? Because it is the era of the brand name, with a good quality brand name you can do many things. Liverpool's name is a world-class name - people attach their fantasies, their liking for sports, their enhancement in life, their self-development, along with this kind of team."

But Liverpool's support, drawn from a city that is traditionally left-wing and unionised, are unlikely to welcome a benefactor whose government has been responsible for a brutal "shoot-to-kill" policy in their drugs war.

The "extra-judicial" killings, carried out between February and April last year, were widely condemned by human rights groups, but Shinawatra has so far resisted calls for an investigation. He recently promoted his cousin General Chaiyasit Shinawatra from an obscure provincial post to be the army's commander-in-chief.

The Shinawatra regime came under further scrutiny last month when 107 young men belonging to Islamic groups were killed in the Yala, Pattani and Songkhla provinces in southern Thailand. Government security forces are also understood to have attacked worshippers in the Kruesie mosque.

Shinawatra has been compared to Italy's right-wing Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, the owner of AC Milan, for his dominance of the media and populist tendencies since he came to power in 2001. Before winning the election with his Thai Rak Thai party - 'Thais Love Thais' - he was acquitted of charges of concealing financial assets that would have seen him banned from political office.

--telegraph.co.uk 2004-05-11

Cutethaigirl

Regarding the meeting between the Thai beer giant "..with the long name" and the Liverpool/Thaksin junta..

You can bet your last baht that Carlseberg beer logos will soon disappear..to be replaced with Beer Chang..you may recall that Mr Long-name stands accused of doing the dirty on his Danish brewing partner, by promoting Chang Beer and not Carlsberg, which was the original deal with the latter (who helped him launch Chang) and which is why Carlsberg is now drying up in Thailand..

OOHHH, Mai Rue! Mai pen rai..TIT

Update:

Thai Government, Not Thaksin, to Buy Liverpool Stake (Update1)

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's government, not Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, is funding most of a 4 billion baht ($99 million) offer for a stake in Liverpool Football Club.

Thaksin, 54, said yesterday he and four other investors are in talks to buy a 30 percent share of the record 18-time English soccer champion.

``The predominant funding will be from public funds,'' Jakrapob Penkair, Thaksin's spokesman, said in the Thai capital, Bangkok. He declined to give details.

The proposal to use Thai public funds to buy a soccer club comes as the government expects to balance its 1.17 trillion baht ($30 billion) budget this year for the first time since the 1997 Asian financial crisis. It also comes at a time when Thaksin is facing criticism for selling state companies.

Employee protests forced the government to scrap an initial share offering for the nation's biggest power utility in March.

``The public would like to know in whose interest is all this being done,'' said Akrapol Sorasuchart, deputy secretary general of the opposition Democrat Party. ``Many of the football clubs in England are in financial trouble. To put public money in such ventures is risky. What kind of returns are you expecting?''

Liverpool will decide on the offer by the end of next week and possibly as early as this week, Jakrapob said. In return for the investment, Thailand would get a soccer academy and rights to sell Liverpool merchandize in Asia, he said.

``I'm not sure about the wisdom of committing the Thai government to a business venture in football,'' Peter Velappan, general secretary of the Asian Football Confederation, which runs the sport in the continent, said in an interview.

Public Confidence

Analysts said the venture may boost public confidence.

``When people watch Liverpool play on TV they will feel like they are rooting for Thailand,'' said Mark Matthews, head of Thai equity sales at CLSA Ltd., the Asian equity unit of France's Credit Lyonnais SA. ``And if that in turn boosts confidence and consumption, well there you go.''

Thaksin came to power in 2001 by promising as much as $2 billion of cheap loans to villagers and pledging to delay payment of loans owned by farmers. The move to boost consumer spending helped the Thai economy expand 6.7 percent last year. The government forecasts gross domestic product will grow as much as 8 percent in 2004.

Thaksin, who founded Advanced Info Service Pcl, Thailand's biggest mobile phone company and whose family is the third-richest in Thailand with a net worth of $1.4 billion, according to Forbes Magazine, says he runs the country like a company. He has called provincial governors chief executive officers.

His party is called Thai Rak Thai or Thais love Thais.

Exhibition Tours

Closely held Liverpool has visited Thailand twice on exhibition tours since 2001. Manchester United, the world's richest team by revenue, has struggled to exploit its fan base in Asia even after setting up cafes and shops. It makes 3 percent of its revenue abroad.

``The prime minister is an accomplished businessman,'' Jakrapob said. ``We believe he would turn it around. I would advise critics to think outside the box they are in and they will receive an enormous amount of pleasure.''

--Bloomberg.com 2004-05-11

We can't know whether he is using any "government" money but we do know that, once again, he, like many of his peers, is using and relocating a very large sum of money generated from profits made within Thailand out of the country and that capital will never be seen in Thailand again. It will take somthing like 40,000 to 50,000 tourists to bring that hard currency money back to Thailand.

I wonder what sort of rates Toxin got at the money exchanger?

A man in Taksin's league would hardly have his assets confined to Thailand only. I am sure the money for this deal can be fished out of one of his foreign pockets - whether it will or not is another matter though.

It's just a tad ironic that when there's talks of Thai politics and poverty, there's plenty of wisecracks in this forum, but when the subject turns to 22 men in shorts running circles around eachother on a lawn chasing an artificial sheep's bladder, comments suddenly turn dead serious.