Some sex workers in Samut Sakhon tested positive for HIV and they still work

webfact

Some sex workers in Samut Sakhon tested positive for HIV and they still work

By Thai PBS

sexworker1.jpg

Chief of Samut Sakhon public health office disclosed that some sex workers in this province tested positive for HIV and they continue work as usual.

After having reported about an HIV-infected sex worker who admitted that she still works in sex trade because she has no other alternative and has to feed her family, Thai PBS news team contacted Dr Veeraphol Nithipong, a public health official in Samut Sakhon for information about the HIV/Aids situation in the province, which is home to a large number of migrant workers from Myanmar.

Dr Veeraphol said health officials had conducted random blood tests among sex workers in the province which showed that 4-8 percent of those undergoing the blood test were tested positive for HIV, but they admitted they still continue to work in the sex trade.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sex-workers-samut-sakhon-tested-positive-hiv-still-work/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-09-22

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pointless troll comment has been removed, if you have nothing worthwhile to say then please move on to another topic but please do not leave you comment on here for others to read and for mods to clear up, thank you.

The province health director says he is powerless to do anything about prostitutes with HIV knowingly engaging in unprotected sex with clients?

For starters, isn't prostitution illegal in Thailand?

I don't know about Thai law on this, but in other countries, it's a crime to knowingly/deliberately expose others to HIV/AIDS. Here, police routinely seem able to come up with ways to enforce/interpret laws that suits their purpose/desires...

5 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

A friend of mine in north Thailand got hiv from a bar girl. He got mad and had sex with as many sex workers as he could, With no condom. Till he died from AIDS.

you are such a transparent troll.

with a little subtlety, you may actually become amusing.

until then however ....

9 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

A friend of mine in north Thailand got hiv from a bar girl. He got mad and had sex with as many sex workers as he could, With no condom. Till he died from AIDS.

That tale would seem to contradict your previous claims on hiv transmission on the other thread. 

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

is that saying that 32% of people who know they have HIV don't even bother to take medication for it or don't have access to it for some reason?

I'd hazard a guess on don't have access in most cases. 

However, I could be wrong. 

Edited by Bluespunk

12 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

In this thread you claim it virtually impossible to get HIV from a girl, make your mind up to what you really believe 5555

If your friend really died of AIDS he was an idiot not to have got the very inexpensive meds to give him a healthy life.

I hope the Chief of Samut Sakhon's office will give guidance to the infected sex workers to get meds to let them have a healthy life and lower their viral load to an undetectable level so they won't give HIV to others.

There was a thread somewhere else where a poster said it is difficult to get HIV from a girl as HIV is a gay man's disease. While this is not strictly true, HIV among straight people has gone down radically since 2005 and is still falling in the west. In contrast it has gone up significantly in gay society. 

Still safest to always wear a condom.

I also don't think the narrative of the prostitute's victimhood should be swallowed wholesale. They don't all have families to feed and even if they did it is a choice they make, a gamble for high earnings that may pay off but probably leaves most hookers like battle weary troops after a few years, desensitised.

31 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

is that saying that 32% of people who know they have HIV don't even bother to take medication for it or don't have access to it for some reason?

some of the 32% not yet on treatment may not be taking yet because their CD4 levels are not yet at the level to warrant it, although sadly there is still a lot of people in Thailand are too shy, lazy or stupid to get help which is very affordable (often free for Thai nationals) and accessible. There is also lots of miss information among less the uneducated  about useless 'traditional remedies'.

45 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

In this thread you claim it virtually impossible to get HIV from a girl, make your mind up to what you really believe 5555

If your friend really died of AIDS he was an idiot not to have got the very inexpensive meds to give him a healthy life.

I hope the Chief of Samut Sakhon's office will give guidance to the infected sex workers to get meds to let them have a healthy life and lower their viral load to an undetectable level so they won't give HIV to others.

He got it from anal sex with a ladyboy. I know i said girl bar. Sorry he did try to spread it to others out of anger.

There are many types of ARV's, (HIV meds), if the first one someone is prescribed gives a side affect such as an upset stomach, they could have easily gone back to their doctor for an alternative prescription. In fact when starting ARV medication someone would normally have a follow up appointment within a month or less to check for any side affects and get an alternative pill if the first one given was causing any issues. 

35 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

There are many types of ARV's, (HIV meds), if the first one someone is prescribed gives a side affect such as an upset stomach, they could have easily gone back to their doctor for an alternative prescription. In fact when starting ARV medication someone would normally have a follow up appointment within a month or less to check for any side affects and get an alternative pill if the first one given was causing any issues. 

Hence, why I thought it is more common to describe the taking of any HIV antivirals as ART (Antiviral Therapy) than just ARV 

3 hours ago, Happy enough said:

Either don't have access OR are afraid that their condition becomes public (village) knowledge and they suffer subsequent ostracism.

Most of the girls in the bars have Thai boyfriends or husbands and none of them will usually use condoms.  Even if the girls insist on punters wearing them many succumb to the "I will pay extra for no condom" line.

The girls have sex because they get paid to do so. It is very lucrative business for them and they cannot afford to stop working.  Therefore they will tend to not want to be tested and even if they are found to be HIV they will simply "keep quiet and carry on".  I hate condoms but it is better than playing Russian roulette with your life.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Who is actually surprised by this?

Sex workers with HIV is to be expected.

Many who have ended up in this degrading service are going to have had such a life, as to not care about such things. 

I am not surprised by this taking into account how many customers want to go bareback.