Super Malaria

superal

Excuse me if this topic has been raised recently but my archive search did not show recent discussions . 

This new strain of Malaria which is drug resistant and the increase of Dengue are said to be a real danger in south east Asia . Are you concerned and what do you do to protect yourself and family ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41351160

Malaria in Thailand is limited to a few dense forested areas along the borders. there is no malaria transmission in villages or towns nor in >95% of the countryside. Hence no need for any measures.

Dengue on the other hand is indeed everywhere and easily contacted. There have been many threads on that.

My FIL who is 82 is in hospital at Bang Plee in BKK with dengue fever.

He was infected at home, just off the BangNa/Trat highway in BangNa.

He has been in hospital for over a week now and we were expecting him the family to bring him up to us in rural Khampaeng Phet this week, but he hasn't been released from hospital yet.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Malaria in Thailand is limited to a few dense forested areas along the borders. there is no malaria transmission in villages or towns nor in >95% of the countryside. Hence no need for any measures.

Dengue on the other hand is indeed everywhere and easily contacted. There have been many threads on that.

I think that your comment on malaria was correct up to a couple of years ago but if the BBC report is to be believed it states that a new strain which is resistant to currently used drugs . My Google search did not find an update on the situation . Did you follow the links within the report ?  My own way of avoiding the mosquito  is to wear long trousers in the evening and a light spray on exposed areas however OK for the malaria but as we know the dengue mosquito bites throughout the day  and is not so easy to defend against .

By new strain they mean the existing malaria is in some cases no longer responding to the usual drugs. There is no change in the prevalence of malaria, it remains very, very low and limited to densely forested areas.

There is a vaccine against dengue available now, it is not 100% but reduces the risk of infection by more than half. Available in Thailand.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

By new strain they mean the existing malaria is in some cases no longer responding to the usual drugs. There is no change in the prevalence of malaria, it remains very, very low and limited to densely forested areas.

There is a vaccine against dengue available now, it is not 100% but reduces the risk of infection by more than half. Available in Thailand.

Not aware of the dengue vaccine , have you had it yet ? any idea of the cost ?

2 hours ago, superal said:

Not aware of the dengue vaccine , have you had it yet ? any idea of the cost ?

I got the dengue vaccine at BNH hospital in Bangkok, but don't know the price as it was one of several shots I got at the same time.