Laptop has slowed to near stop...Help

Coconut Kidd

Toshiba Dynabook Satellite J61

Win 7 Ultimate

16G free of 35G

A few days ago while starting my laptop it slowed to almost a complete stop. Any attempt to run anything took forever. I did the usual restart with no better luck. I ran Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, MS disk cleanup and defrag with no improvement. I did not install any software prior to the slow performance, it just happened.

Task Manager Performance revealed the CPU running at 100%, however all processes were running under 28k. I did a restart in ‘safe mode’, disabled all services, and now the CPU is running about 5%. All processes are still running at 28k or less.

What do I do now? How do I determine what is running rampant since the before and after ‘safe mode’ processes are running about the same? Any ideas?

Any advice or comments will be much appreciated.

Kidd

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

i had the same laptop ,did the same thing .

took it to a tech shop, they told me it over heated ,couldnt retrieve anything off the hard drive either .

scraped it , bourght a new one .

Obviously a design flaw as I had the same overheating problem. I was able to solve that by running a fan under it.

7 minutes ago, steve187 said:

a re-install of windows would be my guess to solve the problem

I had given that some thought too. It came with Win 7 installed from one of those BigC kiosks, so no copy at hand. However, I do have a real copy of Win XP which I was considering installing. The computer is only used for simple tasks.

Just now, Coconut Kidd said:

I had given that some thought too. It came with Win 7 installed from one of those BigC kiosks, so no copy at hand. However, I do have a real copy of Win XP which I was considering installing. The computer is only used for simple tasks.

try a windows system  restore back as far as you can go, you will not lose anything, doc etc.

Just now, steve187 said:

try a windows system  restore back as far as you can go, you will not lose anything, doc etc.

Thanks and I should have mentioned it in the OP; I tried that, however there were no restore points. Win update was shut of from the shop I purchased it at and no other significant changes were made to warrant a restore point being made.

FIRST, save all your important files to an external drive. Next, take it to a shop and do a fresh install. Keep using Win 7 if you like it. Then put those files back onto your laptop. You will lose all programs when you have the reinstall done. But for about 300-500 they can do an install and include all major programs too. Office, Photoshop, whatever you want. Just tell them. If all that does not help, buy a new one and do this process on it. I hate computer problems. Makes me feel powerless. But take the first step now. Do a backup.

Don't write off your computer yet. Had something similar happen and it is all down to over heating.  Does the laptop work better immediately after turn on after being turned off overnight etc? Try installing this small program to see how hot your CPU is getting, search ALCPU Core Temp.

Then if that looks like the problem take the back off and clean around the fan and all through where the air intakes and exits yourself or take it to a shop and get them to.

Good luck

22 hours ago, Coconut Kidd said:

Install Linux free to download it's a great option for simple tasks.

I have used 'system restore' a number of times to overcome problems..  it has always worked for me...  Google... 'system restore Windows 7' ..lots of options.. You-Tube and many other helpful sites...  for starters....   if you haven't used it before it restores your computer to a previous date when things were working properly.. good luck..

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

You can try these things, had the same problem yesterday.

Check your Ccleaner is not version 5.33 this has been compromised by our hooded friends with maleware over the last few days. Delete and reload to version 5.35. Run Malwarebytes, run a free hitmanpro also run superantispyware. This solved all the problems

On 9/23/2017 at 12:14 PM, steve187 said:

a re-install of windows would be my guess to solve the problem

If you're going down that route try learning how to use Linux, such as Linux Mint.  Put in on a thumb drive and boot it up from your USB.  It will do virtually everything Windows will do without the problems.

In the meantime, download and install System Explorer. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5015-system-explorer.html

This should give you a better idea of what processes are actually running and the amount of memory that is being consumed.  Your problem may not be processor activity but instead memory usage.

Just for the heck of it, try stopping the Windows Update Service and see if that makes a difference.  That process kicks off a number of underlying services that are memory hogs.  This is simply an informed hunch. 
If you don't know how to start and stop services, read this. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/open-windows-services
The Windows Update Service should be right under the Time Service on Windows 7.  You can also try stopping the BITS Service.  These services are needed to for you system to update, but they can also cause performance problems in a system that is not updated correctly.  

If you try this, let me know how it worked out.

Edited by connda

I had the same problem with a Windows 7 laptop quite a few years ago. Apparently there are types of malware that will do this, and no amount of virus scanning/cleaning will improve the system speed. Finished up scrapping the hard drive and installed a new one.

I installed Linux OS on both my laptops several years ago, have not had a problem since apart from printer installation - Brother is not Linux-friendly.

On 9/23/2017 at 12:24 PM, Coconut Kidd said:

If you're not designing rockets or skyscrapers, just install linux alongside the Win7. Linux is faster, smaller, easy to install, no viruses and free. I've used it on all my machines for over 20 yrs and regularly put it friends' machines after they give up on Windows garbage. No complaints.

Linux can read and write to Win files.

Or run it off an 8GB USB drive to test it first. Download Mint, the most popular version (I'm guessing 32 bit MATE desktop). It has everything you need. Closest link is Kasetsart U. in BKK. HTH

http://mirror1.ku.ac.th/linuxmint-iso/stable/18.2/linuxmint-18.2-mate-32bit.iso

you may want to backup or clone your hard drive externally to another computer. can do this by removing it and connect to usb adapter. likely a shop will need to do this given your apparent level of computer skill. do this first just in case it your hard drive failing. failing hard drives cause slow performance and or freezes and a failing hd wont be readable much longer.  once you cloned it then check temps. if temps ok try a clean install of operating system.  if working well then transfer your files back to fresh install os.  other things may be bad like mainboard and or ram.  if you really like that laptop consider putting a bigger hard drive in it.  that is an old legacy laptop. linux would likely run faster and better on it.

Edited by atyclb

52 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

If you're not designing rockets or skyscrapers, just install linux alongside the Win7. Linux is faster, smaller, easy to install, no viruses and free. I've used it on all my machines for over 20 yrs and regularly put it friends' machines after they give up on Windows garbage. No complaints.

Linux can read and write to Win files.

Or run it off an 8GB USB drive to test it first. Download Mint, the most popular version (I'm guessing 32 bit MATE desktop). It has everything you need. Closest link is Kasetsart U. in BKK. HTH

http://mirror1.ku.ac.th/linuxmint-iso/stable/18.2/linuxmint-18.2-mate-32bit.iso

stop with the Linux recomendations : Clearly he doesnt have the pc knowledge so asking him to go inside bios and change it to boot from a usbdrive etc etc is not helping him

On 9/23/2017 at 7:05 AM, Coconut Kidd said:

Toshiba Dynabook Satellite J61

Win 7 Ultimate

16G free of 35G

A few days ago while starting my laptop it slowed to almost a complete stop. Any attempt to run anything took forever. I did the usual restart with no better luck. I ran Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, MS disk cleanup and defrag with no improvement. I did not install any software prior to the slow performance, it just happened.

Task Manager Performance revealed the CPU running at 100%, however all processes were running under 28k. I did a restart in ‘safe mode’, disabled all services, and now the CPU is running about 5%. All processes are still running at 28k or less.

What do I do now? How do I determine what is running rampant since the before and after ‘safe mode’ processes are running about the same? Any ideas?

Any advice or comments will be much appreciated.

Kidd

I haven't read through all the posts so I might give an old advice. 

Change your HD or SDD to a new, whatever it is, I assume you have an SSD drive on 35GB?