QCon 10 cm Blocks - hanging load

carlyai

From people who have hung things from their QCon blocks; I want to hang a 10 kg power supply from 4 points using the special QCon fastners. 

The vertical QCon block wall will be fitted with a bracket that the power supply clips onto. There will be no support under the power supply.

Doable or collapsible?

Sounds like most of the load will be a vertical load so the only concern is about "shear" on the bolts.

laterally, there will be a negligable force (if I am imagining this correctly)

I am a dubious about those qcon metal plugs, they are quite sharp and whilst they bite in quite well I also think they could act like a chisel and pare off the aerated concrete

Yeah, it's pull-out load that's the worry.

For 10kg, unless it's on the end of a long lever I wouldn't be worrying.

Any access to the other side to drill through and use a spreader plate on the back? Not necessary for 10kg, but others may be intending bigger loads.

Well it's hanging. Really strong with 4 fasteners.

As you can see in the pic I wasn't worried ....by the pile of bags underneath.

So really could have hung 200 kg, or at the moment, SWMBO.

I'm pretty much over ThaiVisa app and Tapatalk as both seem stuffed up at the moment....or is it me? No notifications...lots of time wasting...

Now it won't let me upload the pic...and now had to sign in again.

From the QCon site it shows 1 fastener and says (through my translation) 50 kg. 

What I have done before, with not much load, is drill into the blocks using a slightly smaller concrete bit than the fastener, and not use the drill hammer function. The fasteners seem to bang in nice and solid, but I had never hung 10 kg before over the space of 1 block. Anyway, the 4 fasteners seemed to be very strong.

Will try the pic upload 1 more time then backto work.

It's the chlorinator that I just hung and weighed 10 kg.

20170924_151441.jpg

9 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I'm pretty much over ThaiVisa app and Tapatalk as both seem stuffed up at the moment....or is it me? No notifications...lots of time wasting..

The Apps are up the swannee at present, the latest forum software "update" broke a lot of plug-ins.

says (through my translation) 50 kg. 

I wonder if there was a translation error? The tables I have seen say they come in a 50 pack, not 50KG load capacity.

The specs are particular on the pilot hole diameter to use as well as the exact depth to drill. Masonry bits work, but for quicker, cleaner holes composite bits sold at hardware stores that are made for cement board and things are a little better. Also remember to select the recommended screw size. I would guess almost no one follows the book on these yet they usually still work and in the rare case they fail people blame the block as being weak rather than the fixing job.

Edited by canopy

10 hours ago, canopy said:

says (through my translation) 50 kg. 

I wonder if there was a translation error? The tables I have seen say they come in a 50 pack, not 50KG load capacity.

The specs are particular on the pilot hole diameter to use as well as the exact depth to drill. Masonry bits work, but for quicker, cleaner holes composite bits sold at hardware stores that are made for cement board and things are a little better. Also remember to select the recommended screw size. I would guess almost no one follows the book on these yet they usually still work and in the rare case they fail people blame the block as being weak rather than the fixing job.

I've never seen the 50 in a bag, they come in a bag with the screws as well....plug and screw, about 8 maybe.

'Numnuk' to me in Thai is weight, not saying you're wrong.

Let me see if I can find the spec sheet I downloaded. I'll give it one try at the moment until TV database repopulates.

Thanks Crossy for the info, I thought I asked the correct peoplw what was happening, but got no answer.

QCON-Handbook-English (1).pdf

The shaded column is the load bearing capacity. There is no 50 there. The far right column is the quantity per box (50). That's why I was suspicious when you said 50 kg. Strange that in the ENGLISH handbook they have this table all in Thai, oops.

fixing.png.ccf6b0496a1cd02816a84b9f33835448.png

9 hours ago, canopy said:

The shaded column is the load bearing capacity. There is no 50 there. The far right column is the quantity per box (50). That's why I was suspicious when you said 50 kg. Strange that in the ENGLISH handbook they have this table all in Thai, oops.

fixing.png.ccf6b0496a1cd02816a84b9f33835448.png

Yes you are correct. I took some poetic licence with 50 kgs. 

I've never seen a box with 50 items, but I live in the sticks so that could explain it. 

I think I would still be troubled hanging my 80 kg crystal lights from 1 QCon fastener. ?