travelling with duty free alcohol and doing a transfer

wanderluster

7 hours ago, wanderluster said:

as for the bottles in hold luggage, dont think that is legal, is it.?   i thought you were only allowed duty free alcohol, plus not good idea in our case as we are renting a small motorhome so will be taking backpacks and not the hard cases, i have seen how luggage can be handled at times.

as for the transit from 1 airport to the other it does seem like a 50/50 split on if legal or not. dont need problems over saving 30-40 dollars, just pay aussie crazy prices.

Quite legal. As it is underproof, it is not flammable. Duty free means tax is not paid in either the country you are leaving or the country you are entering. Australian Customs only cares about the volume limit, not where it comes from.

I've been doing it for years. I make sure the bottles are swaddled up in clothes, have never had a breakage.

49 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Yes, just wondering what gem of knowledge you added to the thread.

There are about 50 million people given half a chance want to get into get into Australia for lots of reasons that is today.  We wouldn't want anyone to come to Aus who just said "I don't like Aussies".  By popular request "don't come""  5555

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Quite legal. As it is underproof, it is not flammable. Duty free means tax is not paid in either the country you are leaving or the country you are entering. Australian Customs only cares about the volume limit, not where it comes from.

I've been doing it for years. I make sure the bottles are swaddled up in clothes, have never had a breakage.

Duty free only means that the Customs Duty and local taxes are not paid in the country of export. If you buy more than 2.25 liters of alcohol say in Singapore you will be paying taxes   in Australia.

Edited by ripstanley

22 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Duty free only means that the Customs Duty and local taxes are not paid in the country of export. If you buy more than 2.25 liters of alcohol say in Singapore you will be paying taxes   in Australia.

I always buy max duty free alcohol upon returning to Aus just before you go through Customs.  It might be a bit dearer, still about half the price you would pay at a bottle shop in down town Perth or Sydney.  That's good enough for me.  Thailand is about a third of the price, not much to save if any trying to get duty free into Thailand.  I enjoy giving the local a go,  "up the Thais"  I say!!!  

19 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I always buy max duty free alcohol upon returning to Aus just before you go through Customs.  It might be a bit dearer, still about half the price you would pay at a bottle shop in down town Perth or Sydney.  That's good enough for me.  Thailand is about a third of the price, not much to save if any trying to get duty free into Thailand.  I enjoy giving the local a go,  "up the Thais"  I say!!!  

If you buy in Thailand at duty free when travelling to Australia you will not be able to take it on the aircraft. There is a security check before boarding. Most if not all shops at Swamppy will not sell to Australians travelling to Australia. They check the boarding pass before the sale. So "up the Thais" is a very poor statement as they are saving you money

10 hours ago, ripstanley said:

The term "volume limit" seems to have gone through to the wicketkeeper.

12 hours ago, ripstanley said:

If you buy in Thailand at duty free when travelling to Australia you will not be able to take it on the aircraft. There is a security check before boarding. Most if not all shops at Swamppy will not sell to Australians travelling to Australia. They check the boarding pass before the sale. So "up the Thais" is a very poor statement as they are saving you money

I only buy Duty free in Perth Aus just before I go through customs when returning to Aus.  With AisAsia's now stricted limit of 7KG cabin luggage and some reports suggest any more then the limit will be charged $70 a KG.  2 large 1150 mill bottles of rum could weight up to 3 KG.  $210 for 2 bottles of duty of rum, doesn't add up...no thanks.

Perhaps you don't speak Aussie English  yes/no.  In  Australia when we say "Up the Thais " it is a term of understanding and support and love usually applied to sporting events.  Like this next weekend is the Grand Final of the AFL  (Australian Football League).  There will be about 100,000 spectators at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground).  One team  "The Tigers" the other team  "The Crows".  There will be 50,000 Tiger's fan saying "Up the Tigers" and 50,000 Crow's fans saying "Up the Crows" and perhaps 50 million around the globe barracking for their team.  Go into any civilised bar in Thailand this Saturday that may have a few Aussie drinkers and at about midday and you will see what I mean...much drinking, shouting,  "are shit" is often a term used by the loosing team's fans. 

When I said "Up the Thai's" it was an Aussie way of showing support for the Thai people...I really do love them.

Edited by David Walden

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

I only buy Duty free in Perth Aus just before I go through customs when returning to Aus.  With AisAsia's now stricted limit of 7KG cabin luggage and some reports suggest any more then the limit will be charged $70 a KG.  2 large 1150 mill bottles of rum could weight up to 3 KG.  $210 for 2 bottles of duty of rum, doesn't add up...no thanks.

Perhaps you don't speak Aussie English  yes/no.  In  Australia when we say "Up the Thais " it is a term of understanding and support and love usually applied to sporting events.  Like this next weekend is the Grand Final of the AFL  (Australian Football League).  There will be about 100,000 spectators at the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground).  One team  "The Tigers" the other team  "The Crows".  There will be 50,000 Tiger's fan saying "Up the Tigers" and 50,000 Crow's fans saying "Up the Crows" and perhaps 50 million around the globe barracking for their team.  Go into any civilised bar in Thailand this Saturday that may have a few Aussie drinkers and at about midday and you will see what I mean...much drinking, shouting,  "are shit" is often a term used by the loosing team's fans. 

When I said "Up the Thai's" it was an Aussie way of showing support for the Thai people...I really do love them.

I am fully aware of what you are saying and as an Australian you would know that the term could be used as derogatory  as well as friendly. 

13 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I am fully aware of what you are saying and as an Australian you would know that the term could be used as derogatory  as well as friendly. 

Yes there are some stupid people in the world, some are Farangs who live in Thailand.  Not many thank heavens.  Up the Aussies ( just getting ready for the Grand Final in Melbourne)

On 9/26/2017 at 1:01 PM, jeab1980 said:

I usualy fly qatar airline Manchester to doha on to bkk i buy my duty free in manchester its sealed in a bag with receipts attached never had any problem

So that's one you know of. An airline that I would never use again. Myself and over 20 others were offloaded at Doha and rerouted to Paris, any duty free would have been confiscated in Paris. Absolute chaos in Paris, no Qatar staff  and it turned out we were flying on with Fly Bee and not BA as had been advised. We arrived in Manchester over 6 hours late and no luggage, it was after midnight and took a further 2 hours to get the lost luggage processed.

You can keep Qatar, next airline that allows duty free through transit please.

20 hours ago, sandyf said:

So that's one you know of. An airline that I would never use again. Myself and over 20 others were offloaded at Doha and rerouted to Paris, any duty free would have been confiscated in Paris. Absolute chaos in Paris, no Qatar staff  and it turned out we were flying on with Fly Bee and not BA as had been advised. We arrived in Manchester over 6 hours late and no luggage, it was after midnight and took a further 2 hours to get the lost luggage processed.

Living near Perth in Aus makes most destinations in Asia cheap and quite convenient.   I have no desire nor intention getting on that never ending treadmill for tourists in Europe and USA.  If you want see  Niagara Falls there are about 100,000 videos on the internet most very well made.  Getting a nice studio room in Cha-am for Bt 8000 a month 13th floor '''no wonder I love Thailand."  It looks like things are only going to get tougher for low cost air travellers.  Expecting 43,000.000 people passing through BKK this year.  phewwww!!!

On 26/09/2017 at 11:43 AM, bazza73 said:

Me too

On 26/09/2017 at 1:33 AM, mtls2005 said:

The short answer is "Yes".

You'll need a minimum of 90 minutes between purchase and departure. The duty free shop will pack the item, ferry it to your departure gate, where you will retrieve after gate-security just before boarding.

? This must be a first class service.

On 26/09/2017 at 3:03 PM, mtls2005 said:

I was specifically addressing the OP's question re: DF purchases in transit at SIN (BKK-SIN-Australia).

Once in SIN, re-clear security, make your purchase and assuming you have 90 minutes before departure, the shop will secure your package, and deliver it to your departure gate. After you clear gate-security, and have your BP scanned, your DF purchase will be waiting at/near/in the jet-way as you board the plane. Again, this is the procedure for SIN (and not BKK). Prices in SIN are a bit lower (3 % ~ 5 %) for 2,000 THB - 4,000 THB single malts (as an example).

I am pretty sure my answer is correct and accurate.

I was not addressing issues at BKK - although DF at BKK does offer the acceptable packaging for on-ward domestic flights.

Perhaps learning to read the OP's original question would be a good idea before answering a different question.

the OP asked

can you buy duty free alcohol in 1 airport, go to the next country and transfer planes with this. obviously seal still intact?

so your response is neither a correct nor an accurate answer to the original question 

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

so your response is neither a correct nor an accurate answer to the original question 

The OP is traveling BKK-SIN-Australia.

The obvious solution, and hence my response(s), is to purchase in SIN, assuming they have 90 minutes for the connection.

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Perhaps learning to read the OP's original question would be a good idea before answering a different question.

Again, I was offering a solution: duty free in SIN on the connection...easy, simply, less expensive.

One cannot purchase duty-free liquid items with over 100 mL volume in BKK (or even on the aircraft for BKK-SIN), and transit SIN on the way to Australia.

You're right I should have first answered that question, as "No", and then moved on to my solution.

My bad.

On 27/09/2017 at 4:01 PM, sandyf said:

You asked me name an airline i did this if you had a bad experiance with them thats not my problem i never have. But its good to know you wont be flying with them again thank you for sharing.

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

You asked me name an airline i did this if you had a bad experiance with them thats not my problem i never have. But its good to know you wont be flying with them again thank you for sharing.

Where does it say airline?

"Maybe you can post which routes have not yet introduced a transit security check."

18 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Where does it say airline?

"Maybe you can post which routes have not yet introduced a transit security check."

Crazy you just wont accept its possible. Ok just for you i give in have it your way.

Unbelievable. 

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Crazy you just wont accept its possible. Ok just for you i give in have it your way.

Unbelievable. 

Your original post was irresponsible and misleading, nothing to indicate one particular airline.

Yes you can in transit. I always buy duty free in UK before boarding flight to BKK which is always via somewhere. Never a problem as your always air side wating for connection.