crawling/itchy feeling in Rectum after Antibiotics

Bonobojt

I just got back from a 2 month trip in Bangkok and unfortunately got Gonorrhoea in the throat and received a treatment of an antibiotic injection and 4 antibiotic pills (penicillin) to take at same time, 10 minutes after the treatment I started to get a crawling / itchy feeling behind the belly button and rectum and have experienced it everyday since the treatment, its sort of off and on, some parts of the day I feel alright and then the feeling will pop up again.. any idea whats going on ? allergy reaction or issues with gut bacteria ? should I see a doctor about this ?

While antibiotics can indeed lead to yeast infections this does not happen within 10 minutes of injection.

an itching sensation immediately after receiving an antibiotic injcetion often indicates an allergic reaction. There is nothing to be done about that if so now but you should avoid same drug in future.

BTW highly unlikely you were given 4 tablets of penicillin. More likely arithromycin. The injection could have been penicillin, though.

53 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

While antibiotics can indeed lead to yeast infections this does not happen within 10 minutes of injection.

an itching sensation immediately after receiving an antibiotic injcetion often indicates an allergic reaction. There is nothing to be done about that if so now but you should avoid same drug in future.

BTW highly unlikely you were given 4 tablets of penicillin. More likely arithromycin. The injection could have been penicillin, though.

sorry yes the tablets were amoxicillin I think, so if its an allergy reaction it will go away on its own ? nothing serious to see a doctor about ? 

44 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

sorry yes the tablets were amoxicillin I think, so if its an allergy reaction it will go away on its own ? nothing serious to see a doctor about ? 

I very much doubt amoxicillin. Not the correct treatment for gonorrhea, and also never given in a course of only 4 tablets.

Azithromycin 4 tablets  on the other hand is the usual tretment, along with an injection of Ceftriaxone (not penicillin).

As the itching began minutes after the injection the thing you may be allergic to would be whatever was the injection -- you say penicillin but ceftriaxone would be more usual. Gonorrhea is resistant to  penicillin.

You need to find out for sure what was in that injection. As the allergic reaction (if that is what it is) is now many days past there is nothing for a doctor to do but tell you to avoid that drug in future. So find out for sure what it was.

Delayed itching after antibiotics, on the other hand, is indeed often just a yeast infection.

Sexual contacts that lead to gonorrhea are above average risk for HIV transmission so be sure to have an HIV test and repeat after 3 months if negative.